M83

mike86

Just now, dentalplan said:

I'm leaning towards it at the moment, but I have worries. Last time I saw a headliner on John Peel it was MGMT who were the most dancey main stage headliner on at that time and everyone seemed happy to chat while waiting for Kids and Time to Pretend to lose it to. I'm fearing the same but with Midnight City.

This is a very real risk. There's a crowd shot video of them performing it at Coachella, and as it begins, you hear a female voice exclaim "Finally! Their one good song" :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

This is a very real risk. There's a crowd shot video of them performing it at Coachella, and as it begins, you hear a female voice exclaim "Finally! Their one good song" :lol:

Well, she sucks because their setlist is really amazing!

I am a bit surprised they have reached the dizzy heights of headlining one of the main stages, I was planning to see them expecting them to be lower down the bill, probably still will although they will be competing against headliners such as New Order, so it's going to be a decision on how I feel at the time, would love to see both

Do they play stuff from earlier albums such as Before the Dawn Heals Us? I would love to hear the likes of Moonchild and Don't Save us from the Flames live again

Didn't know much about them to be honest, heard of but not listened. Got them up on Spotify earlier and saw a song had 183m plays, I thought that seems really high for a band i've not listened to before.

Put it on (Midnight City) and I was like "I hate this tune where is it from?", messaged the missus and its the theme to Made In Chelsea and I instantly felt dirty.

Like some of the others though but think I'm going to New Order it.

2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Do you not think it will be safer considering they're up against 'dele? I'd certainly hope that was the case. 

2 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

I am a bit surprised they have reached the dizzy heights of headlining one of the main stages, I was planning to see them expecting them to be lower down the bill, probably still will although they will be competing against headliners such as New Order, so it's going to be a decision on how I feel at the time, would love to see both

Do they play stuff from earlier albums such as Before the Dawn Heals Us? I would love to hear the likes of Moonchild and Don't Save us from the Flames live again

Looking at this http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/m83/2016/the-gorge-amphitheatre-george-wa-6bfefefe.html we can probably only expect 3 songs from before Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. I can't wait to hear Oblivion though. 

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Looking at this http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/m83/2016/the-gorge-amphitheatre-george-wa-6bfefefe.html we can probably only expect 3 songs from before Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. I can't wait to hear Oblivion though. 

I'm sure they'll play at least Midnight City, Wait, Reunion and Steve Mc Queen from this album. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Intro and Outro, two of my favorites :)

4 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I get the impression that MGMT were known for those two songs, whereas I don't think many people know M83 for Midnight City.  They'll know the song but won't connect it to M83, if you know what I mean? There might be an increase in numbers when Midnight City starts playing as people wander past the tent and recognise the song, but that'll be it. That's my prediction anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

May I ask how to pronounce M83? I have assumed it was Em-83. But is it Mate-3? Or something else even!

I've never assumed anything than Em-83 (Mate-3 would be a terrible name for a band!). M83 is a nearby galaxy, which is what I've always assumed they're named after:

Messier 83 is a barred spiral galaxy approximately 15 million light-years away in the constellation Hydra. It is one of the closest and brightest barred spiral galaxies in the sky, making it visible with binoculars.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

I've never assumed anything than Em-83 (Mate-3 would be a terrible name for a band!). M83 is a nearby galaxy, which is what I've always assumed they're named after:

Okey-Doke

The Messier 83 Galaxy thing makes perfect sense. Thank you

37 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

May I ask how to pronounce M83? I have assumed it was Em-83. But is it Mate-3? Or something else even!

I'd always assumed you and him were distantly related, going by your names. Thought you'd have bumped into him at a family do.

Don't know many songs, don't fancy much on the Saturday night apart from Oliver Heldons but am looking forward to seeing them even though I don't know their catalogue of music. 

I will stand near the back dancing by myself.

Never listened to them before the lineup came out, and realised I needed to find myself a saturday headliner. Can't wait for them now - been listening obessively for the last week. CHVRCHES beforehand too - saturday synth pop heaven!

Can't believe they don't play Kim & Jessie live though.