Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore anything the press throws at us. They all seem intent on making people think it is dire by using photos and videos that were taken last week. Let them do it and ignore it.

Then come October loads of people will be put off and us lot with brains and smiles will find getting tickets that bit easier.

Keep the faith.

My onsite pals report the main stages are pretty bad and the site is muddy.  The high areas like stone circle are ok and were sit downable on sunday.

The key is that most forecasts are not predicting much rain from now and thats what ruins it - having to run for shelter etc.  It will continue to dry out too.

It may have rained on site but looking at the radar it was just a quickie, we need to keep a sense of scale even this close

Definitely far too early for the cries of "it'll be ok in trainers" from some though! Still no 2007 so yay.

Not even been 24 hours since the last downpour. Doubt even the biggest optimist is expecting pristine conditions underfoot at the minute.

Provided nothing calamitous comes down on it from above, I think shite underfoot tomorrow, better but still muddy Thursday and starting to firm the fuck up by Friday seems a reasonable expectation.

And this applies to the site proper, not to the car parks and caravan fields, which will get obliterated tonight and tomorrow. 

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Hearing to contrasting things from different places. Here says 2nd/3rd for mud, yet my parents say don't come out of 1st.

Fortunately, I work for a car manufacturer so I'll pose the question to the petrol heads in the office and get an answer once and for all.

Not gonna let the parking worries get me down though, If I get stuck I'll get out I'm sure - no biggie.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not even been 24 hours since the last downpour. Doubt even the biggest optimist is expecting pristine conditions underfoot at the minute.

Provided nothing calamitous comes down on it from above, I think shite underfoot tomorrow, better but still muddy Thursday and startng to firm the fuck up by Friday seems a reasonable expectation.

This - it's why we need no more showers.

2005 - catastrophic flooding Friday am, grey clouds and drizzle all day. Saturday - cloudy, brightening. Sunday, bright sun.

And by Sunday you could sit down again. The feet that churn the grass also stamp flat the mud provided there's no more rainfall. 

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

The first couple of days were, if my (hazy) memory is right.

I think your memory is wrong? 2009 had great weather.

Wednesday and Thursday were fine, great weather. Bit of rain on the Thursday or Friday but not enough to do any real damage, the only real problem would have been a huge downpour on the Sunday night at about 1am to 4am, but that was too late to cause real damage.

1 minute ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

And by Sunday you could sit down again. The feet that churn the grass also stamp flat the mud provided there's no more rainfall. 

This is a good point. We'll probably loose the grass, but you can sit on dried mud after lots of people have walked on it and it's not been rained on for a while.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, but it's pretty clear nothing is drying out fast.

I dunno, some of the photos and videos from last night were looking massively improved from a few hours earlier, lots of standing water has gone.  Depends on your definition of "fast", I suppose.  It's not going to be trainers weather obviously, but I'm not hearing anything that suggests my walking boots are going to fail me.

Besides, Sawdust "James On The Verge" Surfer says it's going to be ok, so that's fine by me.

3 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

This - it's why we need no more showers.

2005 - catastrophic flooding Friday am, grey clouds and drizzle all day. Saturday - cloudy, brightening. Sunday, bright sun.

That is almost glass half full, steady on ;)

Just now, incident said:

Wednesday and Thursday were fine, great weather. Bit of rain on the Thursday or Friday but not enough to do any real damage, the only real problem would have been a huge downpour on the Sunday night at about 1am to 4am, but that was too late to cause real damage.

Muddy start that ended up fine sounds like 2008 to me.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

This is more in line with what I remember

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I dunno, some of the photos and videos from last night were looking massively improved from a few hours earlier, lots of standing water has gone.  Depends on your definition of "fast", I suppose.  It's not going to be trainers weather obviously, but I'm not hearing anything that suggests my walking boots are going to fail me.

Besides, Sawdust "James On The Verge" Surfer says it's going to be ok, so that's fine by me.

Pics around the Glade on Twitter today show puddles still but that is to be expected.

It will be what it is, the lack of any more rain is far more important than what the ground is like now.

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

This link is my happy place. Fill your boots people. Nasty mud in 2009, turned into the best festival ever.

http://archive.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/glastonbury_2009.html

Man, that Thursday night storm was something else. I remember seeing a massive bolt of lightening over the dance village as I was making my way to see East 17 (don't judge me). I didn't have any waterproofs on me so went to a clothes stall, where the guy tried to charge me £35 for a poncho. Cheeky f**ker. I figured I was already soaked so a waterproof wouldn't make any difference.

I'd dried out within about an hour - something I should remember if i get caught in a storm again this year!

My onsite pals report the main stages are pretty bad and the site is muddy.  The high areas like stone circle are ok and were sit downable on sunday.

The key is that most forecasts are not predicting much rain from now and thats what ruins it - having to run for shelter etc.  It will continue to dry out too.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Not a chance. I'm prepared for it being dreadful. :)

I'm not so sure others are tho, there's been a lot of too-high hopes.

You can be optimistic and still be prepared for the worst. I'm always going to hope for the best and try to be positive about the weather. 

For me, if the weather is horrible and the festival is great, you'll still have a fantastic time. 

A friend of mine who's on site gave the site conditions as a 7 yesterday afternoon. the scale was 1-10 and 10 being an apocalyptic mud bath. He reckoned if we didn't have much rain today it's very much salvageable. I'd take that after the weekend we just had and the forecasts now pointing towards less and less rain over the festival itself.