Bowie Tribute

Glastobuddy

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Righto. Well I'm sure they'll do something to get the crowds away from Williams Green on the Thursday. Was chaos there last year. Fucking chaos. Children crying, women running for their lives, martial law enacted, live animal sacrifices on satanic alters, random grenade attacks in longdrop cubicles and so on.

Hate reading these fucking things - language is legal dogshit - but its all here. From page 14.

thats a lot of plans to be sorted ............to me that looks like one big headache lol

I hope whatever they do is understated and respectful to how he lived. I'm not a fan at all of the mawkish and OTT reactions whenever anyone famous dies. The thought of 20,000 kids with Ziggy facepaint at some shite karaoke session trying to out-Bowie each other whilst uploading pictures of themselves to Instagram doesn't exactly sound like much of a tribute.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hope whatever they do is understated and respectful to how he lived. I'm not a fan at all of the mawkish and OTT reactions whenever anyone famous dies. The thought of 20,000 kids with Ziggy facepaint at some shite karaoke session trying to out-Bowie each other whilst uploading pictures of themselves to Instagram doesn't exactly sound like much of a tribute.

ha ha

i can just see it now old son therell be 100s of ziggys walking around glasto this year ....i wonder if the stall holders will cash in like they did when MJ died i can see it now " I SAW DAVID BOWIE HERE IN 2000 what ever year it was .....wife reckons it was 2000 ........

15 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

ha ha

i can just see it now old son therell be 100s of ziggys walking around glasto this year ....i wonder if the stall holders will cash in like they did when MJ died i can see it now " I SAW DAVID BOWIE HERE IN 2000 what ever year it was .....wife reckons it was 2000 ........

It was indeed 2000 and the idea of loads of snorting, prancing little Ziggy wannabes with mandatory trout-pout poses is too awful to contemplate. Add to that the rumour of some fucking past it atrocity wailing their love for all things Bowie when in fact they never gave a flying fuck renders it unwatchable, too much for me .

I could of course be completely and utterly wrong.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm quite looking forward to seeing hundreds (hopefully thousands) of people with the aladdin sane flash on their face to be honest...I cant recall anything like that happening for anyone else who's died. 

Amen to that. People should be able to celebrate his life in the way they choose. His music meant alot to so many. If people want to dress up and make it colourful then so be it. Itll make the acid even more fun I can imagine...

35 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Amen to that. People should be able to celebrate his life in the way they choose. His music meant alot to so many. If people want to dress up and make it colourful then so be it. Itll make the acid even more fun I can imagine...

Yep.

Bowie karaoke singalongs organised by tits on facebook for a specific time and place leave me cold, but people painting their face, dressing up, or whatever as a personal individual tribute is a nice thing I think. There is not another musician it will ever happen for. I cant see thousands of people strolling around in sgt pepper costumes or wearing giant thumbs up when macca pops his clogs for example.

23 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep.

Bowie karaoke singalongs organised by tits on facebook for a specific time and place leave me cold, but people painting their face, dressing up, or whatever as a personal individual tribute is a nice thing I think. There is not another musician it will ever happen for. I cant see thousands of people strolling around in sgt pepper costumes or wearing giant thumbs up when macca pops his clogs for example.

I won't go as far as face paint but I will bring my Aladdin Sane T Shirt to wear over the fest.

I agree, noone else in music will ever inspire the level of tributes and sadness that Bowie's death did.

I also agree with Mr Jass a few pages above. If I see people doing that at the tribute, whatever it is, I will fucking slap them and tell them to show some respect.

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I won't go as far as face paint but I will bring my Aladdin Sane T Shirt to wear over the fest.

I agree, noone else in music will ever inspire the level of tributes and sadness that Bowie's death did.

I also agree with Mr Jass a few pages above. If I see people doing that at the tribute, whatever it is, I will fucking slap them and tell them to show some respect.

Why?  Bowie never did, much to his credit.    Has everyone forgotten that he was the ultimate magpie and was generally more interested in recontextualising music than inventing new forms.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Why?  Bowie never did, much to his credit.    Has everyone forgotten that he was the ultimate magpie and was generally more interested in recontextualising music than inventing new forms.

as Steven Wilson said when I saw him last month 'Bowie was the last of a generation that could inspire and went to great lengths to innovate from album to album, was never afraid to be himself and always stayed in the mainstream' or something along those lines. People will remember Bowie for years. I doubt the likes of Beyonce, Kanye, etc or whoever you want to name from popular mainstream music nowadays will last 5 minutes after their death so to speak.

re: restecp - I would just consider it rude and disrespectful to come to a tribute and spend the entire time instagramming yourself and your mates. You wouldn't do it at a funeral so why at someone's tribute?

53 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

as Steven Wilson said when I saw him last month 'Bowie was the last of a generation that could inspire and went to great lengths to innovate from album to album, was never afraid to be himself and always stayed in the mainstream' or something along those lines.

Neil Young has released 10 albums in the last 10 years. Lots of genres covered. McCartney has released 8 albums in the same period. Rock, classical, electronic etc. Dylan has released 5 albums in the period, including a Sinatra covers album, with another due this year and has toured almost non stop since 1991. 

I could go on and on. 

I'm all for giving Bowie the respect he deserves but not to the point where we basically draw a line under an era of music. The above statement is simply not true. "The last of his generation to inspire"?! Granted the list gets shorter every year, but, nah. Not having that.

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Neil Young has released 10 albums in the last 10 years. Lots of genres covered. McCartney has released 8 albums in the same period. Rock, classical, electronic etc. Dylan has released 5 albums in the period, including a Sinatra covers album, with another due this year and has toured almost non stop since 1991. 

I could go on and on. 

I'm all for giving Bowie the respect he deserves but not at to the point where we basically draw a line under an era of music. The above statement is simply not true. "The last of his generation to inspire"?! Granted the list gets shorter every year, but, nah. Not having that.

I've not listened to the others, but Mcartney's albums haven't exactly been inspiring to me.

19 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Do you keep giving McCartney a chance? What way does that play out.

It ends up in boredom and being switched off pretty soon.  I've not really listened much to the back catalogue of the other two.

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

None of the artists Nal mentions are as mysterious as Bowie. Kate Bush is really the only remaining equivalent for me at least. 

Agree with this.  She is* still producing finely crafted works of art with every record.  When she gets round to it.  Slightly disappointed there's been no new activity recently, given her run of productivity with Director's Cut, 50 Words For Snow and the live stuff. 

*At least the last thing she did was!

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I could go on and on. 

I'm all for giving Bowie the respect he deserves but not to the point where we basically draw a line under an era of music. The above statement is simply not true. "The last of his generation to inspire"?! Granted the list gets shorter every year, but, nah. Not having that.

I get your point, but we all have our favourites. I grew up listening to Bowie, never really got into Neil Young as per your example. 

I was quoting Steven Wilson - I see that Bowie is one of a few but very few do have or had the same level of devotion or following that he did.