Hart Attack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I assumed these new ideas were ones to replace A7x in the mix rather than Aerosmith. There's gonna be a classic headliner even if they have to bring one of last year's back.

Had Copping ever said any more about Biffy Clyro? I know if he didn't think they were ready two years ago, nothing since will have changed that but for a popular Saturday headliner they could do worse. Linkin Park also seems a better shout than A7x as they're at least rumoured to be around Europe in June.

I didn't see Copping say that, though I do wonder what he'd had for dinner the night he said Biffy weren't big enough in 2014 and A7X were...

A7X definitely more metal, but in 2013 and 2014, Biffy were easily one of Britain's top rock pulls. I absolutely love them - but from what I heard about their Metallica sub spot in 2012, it didn't go down that well. And whilst we do live in a climate where sales of everything have definitely fallen, Biffy's stock behind Ellipsis is still behind Opposites. I'd love them to headline - and I'd love them to headline more at Glastonbury, where they tick all the right boxes for a Pyramid Stage band - but if Copping is comparing his 2014 edition of Biffy to now, they're certainly no bigger, if not smaller.

SOAD and Aerosmith must be certs - but be damned if I know who gets slot three.

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

A band in Queens who could have new material, fresh from smashing both their Other Stage slot and killing their R&L co-headline slot. Got enough popular tracks, Go With The Flow / No One Knows / Little Sister etc, to hold over a neutral crowd, and a dedicated group of hard-core fans who'd lap up the rest. Would be a new headliner for Download too. 

Then you've got a massively in-demand headliner in System, who'll be all over Europe next summer, but will still be a massive draw for a lot of people. A strong booking in any year. 

Avenged Sevenfold another decent headliner. Their arena dates are selling okay as of right now? New material too, so justifies their re-booking in that sense. I tend to not get too hung up on them playing twice in four years, you've got R&L booking blink-182 twice in five years, and T booking Calvin Harris twice in three.

Add some decent subs / thirds and you're laffin:

Queens of the Stone Age / Alter Bridge / The Offspring
System of a Down / Misfits / Stone Sour
Avenged Sevenfold / Prophets of Rage / Limp Bizkit

Blink sell out arenas instant as does Calvin.

SOAD would be the only strong part of them headliners tbh. With A7X after they have took their time they will need a stronger 3rd.

4 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Queens of the Stone Age? Their album looks like it'll be recorded by the end of the year. Although a year with both Queens and System headlining is probably too good to be true.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Are you joking?, do you know how weak that would look if they have A7X as well?

The three of them would make me get a ticket

Probably the same with me. It's the type of Download that I'd wanna go to - bands in (questionably) their peak. I understand the booking of classic bands like Maiden, Sabbath, but having been born decade(s) after their prime I'm more excited by Queens and System than seeing Aerosmith or Maiden and wishing I'd seen the show 30 years earlier.

9 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Be pretty poor if its a7x, blink and soad. I'd normally buy for dl before but if that's headliners I'd have to wait for more idea of full line before committing. For me that's a very weak set of headliners

Blink aren't at Download ffs not sure how many times people need to be told haha 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Blink aren't at Download ffs not sure how many times people need to be told haha 

Until that's 100% confirmed, why would people be wrong to speculate? As far as I remember, they themselves said next summer they'd be in Europe, and it's only really you saying it's July. Why should people trust you?

3 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

Until that's 100% confirmed, why would people be wrong to speculate? As far as I remember, they themselves said next summer they'd be in Europe, and it's only really you saying it's July. Why should people trust you?

A guy who regularly gets Birmingham tour dates correct all the time said blink had placeholders for July a while back. 

No problem with people taking it with a grain of salt, but needs to be addressed when someone says "so we're thinking blink now right, yeah?" as if it's the general consensus that blink will be at DL, which it isn't, as it means people who lurk like that other guy will read it and take it at face value. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

Right, wild estimations (that I don't think'll be too far off...). A top 3 with a (2nd stage headliner).

Friday - System of a Down, Misfits, Marilyn Manson (Prophets of Rage)

Saturday - Nine Inch Nails, Alter Bridge, Bullet for My Valentine (Bad Company)

Sunday - Aerosmith, Steel Panther, Airbourne (Panic! At the Disco)

NIN is totally conjuncture - I imagine A7X are one if Graspop leaks are true, and I can't see SOAD or Aerosmith not being there. Misfits... again, bit of a long shot as they may have already finished again, so otherwise punch up Manson and throw someone else in at third on Friday. Panic! to take that ye old pop punk spot for the kids who don't care about Aerosmith, whilst Bad Company take that Status Quo-esque 2nd stage spot as a contrast to the industrial rock of NIN or metal of A7X (if A7X are Saturday headliner, switch Prophets and Bad Company around).

Well, that's my sixpence.

Biffys, live set now is massively better than when they subbed for Metallica. Much tighter and much better stage set up.

Saw them at Rock im Park and they were mind blowingly good.

Edited by biffoire

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Right, wild estimations (that I don't think'll be too far off...). A top 3 with a (2nd stage headliner).

Friday - System of a Down, Misfits, Marilyn Manson (Prophets of Rage)

Saturday - Nine Inch Nails, Alter Bridge, Bullet for My Valentine (Bad Company)

Sunday - Aerosmith, Steel Panther, Airbourne (Panic! At the Disco)

NIN is totally conjuncture - I imagine A7X are one if Graspop leaks are true, and I can't see SOAD or Aerosmith not being there. Misfits... again, bit of a long shot as they may have already finished again, so otherwise punch up Manson and throw someone else in at third on Friday. Panic! to take that ye old pop punk spot for the kids who don't care about Aerosmith, whilst Bad Company take that Status Quo-esque 2nd stage spot as a contrast to the industrial rock of NIN or metal of A7X (if A7X are Saturday headliner, switch Prophets and Bad Company around).

Well, that's my sixpence.

It'll be A7X then the usual bunch of repeats. I don't see POR against SOAD at all, that is more likely to be someone like Panic there.