Self Confirmed 2016

JoeyT

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Received by who? Alt-J weren't headlining Other lasr year....that was just the warped minds of some on here lol. LCD would sub Pyramid, New Order, BMTH, The Chem Bros, Deadmau5/Ben Howard. Rudimental beìng the probably exception. The Prodigy before etc.

I wouldn't necessarily say Other headline is the same size of a slot to Pyramid sub, I'd say they're all different sizes, in the order of Pyramid headliner, Pyramid sub, Other headliner, Pyramid 3rd, Other sub, Pyramid 4, Other 3rd etc. 

I think it's more that Tame Impala are a little too big to be an Other sub, but not quite big enough to be an Other headliner so they slot in as 3rd down pyramid quite well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

The Alt. J thing from last year sums up this board. A band a large number of people on here like automatically start to be touted as being in positions far higher than they should. I really tried with Alt. J but musically I just could not get into them and I actually though 3rd down on the Pyramid was too high for them and thought they would die a death on there, particularly post - Lionel. I didn't hang around long enough to find out or to see what size crowd they got or to see whether that was a justified position. If someone could let me know who was there as I just didn't think their music would translate very well on the Pyramid.

Back to the point, for all their fans on efests (I am one of them) there is no way that Tame Impala are Pyramid subs. Subbing or 3rd on the Other is about right.  I really don't see them as being any higher on the bill or any more popular than Maccabees last year. 

No you're completely wrong there. alt-J aren't a big band on these boards by any means, I'd say they were fairly unpopular actually. It's just people could see that they are an act who were getting big placings at festivals; headlining Latitude, subbing R+L, etc. and expected them to get similar at Glastonbury. In fact they probably only slipped down the Pyramid bill when Paul Weller was booked late on to support The Who.

Tame Impala were fourth down the Other in 2013 and have grown massively since then so they wouldn't really climb just one tiny slot on the same stage, and I think the reason they were touted for Pyramid sub/third by these boards was because they'd played the Other Stage so recently. They'd surely be in that area around Other headliner/Pyramid sub/Pyramid third but that obviously depends who else they have in a given year and who would fit best where.

16 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I wouldn't necessarily say Other headline is the same size of a slot to Pyramid sub, I'd say they're all different sizes, in the order of Pyramid headliner, Pyramid sub, Other headliner, Pyramid 3rd, Other sub, Pyramid 4, Other 3rd etc. 

I think it's more that Tame Impala are a little too big to be an Other sub, but not quite big enough to be an Other headliner so they slot in as 3rd down pyramid quite well.

So do they just get a load of acts booked and order them by size on Excel and allocate the slots accordingly?.

24 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Is there anything to suggest Tame Impala are going to be added to the bill? Have I missed something?

Think it's a mixture of hope and the fact they strangely seem to have nothing booked in the UK as of yet, and are unlikely to be announced this late for any other festival.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Received by who? Alt-J weren't headlining Other lasr year....that was just the warped minds of some on here lol. LCD would sub Pyramid, New Order, BMTH, The Chem Bros, Deadmau5/Ben Howard. Rudimental beìng the probably exception. The Prodigy before etc.

Neil said Alt J were offered an Other Stage headline slot last year. It was one of the first nuggets of info we got

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Would it be fair to deduce that all the people clamouring for Tame Impala to play weren't at any of their previous  performances?

they used to be a bit meh live from looking at past videos, but on this currents tour they have really refined their sound and were great at the alexandra palace shows. but that could just be their higher production value and more enthusiastic crowd

Freddie and the Freeloaders have self confirmed for the Thursday at the West Holts Bar, for a slot 'a bit earlier ' than the 11pm slot they played there last year. 

Presumably they'll be playing the Sunday as well, though that wasn't mentioned. 

3 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

they used to be a bit meh live from looking at past videos, but on this currents tour they have really refined their sound and were great at the alexandra palace shows. but that could just be their higher production value and more enthusiastic crowd

Fair enough.  Beforehand they stunk like a dead dog on a hot day.

18 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Tame Impala aren't too big to sub Other and obviously it doesn't 100% go like that but it's generally very close. Even Jake Bugg, you could argue him being at Pyramid sub level last time but he was subbing two other major UK festivals so you wouldn't have got him lower. Morrissey is another, as is Elbow, Faithless. Ronson had a good crowd for his Other sub slot but tbh he needed to darkness, and Rudimental worked WAY better in the dark than mid Pyramid.

20 hours ago, musky said:

Freddie and the Freeloaders have self confirmed for the Thursday at the West Holts Bar, for a slot 'a bit earlier ' than the 11pm slot they played there last year. 

Presumably they'll be playing the Sunday as well, though that wasn't mentioned. 

Which "West Holts Bar"?!  There are two - annoyingly!