Kanye West

seumasbeathan

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands left Metallica too. Similarly mortified for them?

I think people on here just like to say thousands left to disparage any act they don't like.

I never noticed anyone leaving Metallica. From where I was (middle of the crowd), it looked like everyone was having an awesome time.

Wasn't at the Pyramid for Kanye, was at George Clinton. But having seen it on tv I get the impression everyone on here is massively exaggerating about the amount of people who left.

Only act I can remember witnessing lots of people leaving early was Blondie. And I can't blame them, listening to Debbie Harry's singing was torture

I think people on here just like to say thousands left to disparage any act they don't like.

Errr... no.

Thousands left because I saw it with my own eyes. From about 30 min in to 45 mins in, when I went back around to George Clinton.

I was standing beside Wooderson and some randomer we met and we were all shaking our heads in disbelief at 1. how shit Kanye was and 2. at how many people were leaving. A 30 foot gap developed in front of us very quickly.

I liked it on the night and I've just watched it again and I liked it even more.

What on the night I thought were awkward gaps - although were - often related to the show of it (eg. The crane) or the incident like Lee Nelson. And on that note, I thought he did recover well from that. Yes he didn't pick up in the same sport or whatever - but it clearly flustered him, as I think it would any act.

Might not be the most popular opinion but it is mine.

I thought it was dreadful, but I'm not a fan anyway.  I was always going to PSB at the Glade, but I thought I'd give it a bit of time.

Lots of people were leaving when I did, but that happens at most headliners anyway doesn't it ?  People feel obliged to check it out even if they don't like them? 

On that flag:

The Kim Kardashian sex-tape flag at Glastonbury was a particularly nasty attack

http://gu.com/p/4a96k?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I don't disagree with the sentiment of the article, but surely the flag was primarily an attack on kanye west rather than Kim Kardashian. I suspect the fact that kardashian was also humiliated wasn't in the flag makers mind.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of the article, but surely the flag was primarily an attack on kanye west rather than Kim Kardashian. I suspect the fact that kardashian was also humiliated wasn't in the flag makers mind.

To me the flag is just a pathetic attempt to offend an artist which is doing much more than the creator of the flag. Also focusing the attack on Kanye's wife instead of him, wow... speaks a lot, much easier to slander a woman than slander her husband!

The fact Russy enjoyed it simply proves that those who dislike it probably couldn't get past the fact it was Kanye. I thought the perfomance had so much energy, but if you hate Kanye anyway it doesn't matter..

I dunno, man. There were plenty of people on here also attacking her in the run up to the show. Some champion was calling her a "slag" just the other day.

I thought it started off great, however descended into mediocrity after a few songs pretty quickly. Things did improve a little when Justin Vernon came on, but even that went on for too long and he could have done with a few more guest appearances.

The crane bit and subsequent songs were pretty great, bar the ham fisted attempt at Bohemian Rhapsody, however I can see how the crane thing probably would have impressed those of us there far more than those on TV (not that matters too much). However I do think likely down to Kanye's ego, there was a distinct lack of other musicians on stage generally, there was bemusement all round when he thanked his guitarist. I've seen someone say when they saw him when he first started out he had strings etc on stage - why regress in this respect? 

Anyway, not awful but could have been a lot better. 6/10

I've seen someone say when they saw him when he first started out he had strings etc on stage - why regress in this respect? 

that's when he was touring Late Registration, an album where the production was largely made up of strings and orchestral arrangements. since then he's used that type of production a lot more sparingly. i guess he could've always had a string section mid-way through the set or something, but i dunno - the fact it was a backing track didn't bother me at all. would've been a lot harder for him to go from one song quickly in to another (a lot of the time only doing part of the song) if he had a string section trying to keep up with him

I actually thought he was really good although I would have liked more of a show.  It was a shame about the dickheads in the crowd though (where I was)- throwing lit cigarettes, pushing through and nearly knocking a kid off their parents shoulders, pissing on the floor, booing and calling Kanye a twat.  I haven't even seen a V festival crowd that bad (must specify it may have been contained to where I was!). 

Errr... no.

Thousands left because I saw it with my own eyes. From about 30 min in to 45 mins in, when I went back around to George Clinton.

I was standing beside Wooderson and some randomer we met and we were all shaking our heads in disbelief at 1. how shit Kanye was and 2. at how many people were leaving. A 30 foot gap developed in front of us very quickly.

Yep, i was stood at the back of the field and they were streaming out.

As a big fan I was really disappointed by the set. The first couple of songs were fantastic and then once Lee Nelson took to the stage it all fell apart I thought, Hold My Liquor was particularly cringeworthy. That version of Lost in the World was fucking terrible as well.

I'm not bothered about the lack of special guests, infact I'm glad there was nobody significant. I'm not bothered about that Bohemian Rhapsody cover, I'm not bothered about his egotistic "the greatest living rockstar" statement. I'm not bothered about the production not being the best as I'd prefer him to just belt out all his fantastic songs, I'm bothered about him fucking up said songs time and time again

Does anyone not remember Jay Z coming on and singing Wonderwall in 2008 in response to the critics that "Glastonbury was about Rock n Roll not Hip Hop"? I see the same sentiment with Kanye and the Bohemian Rhapsody bit. It was obviously him having some fun wih the crowd, a nod to the rock heritage before cutting back. The atmosphere when it started was fantastic.

However I do think likely down to Kanye's ego, there was a distinct lack of other musicians on stage generally, there was bemusement all round when he thanked his guitarist. I've seen someone say when they saw him when he first started out he had strings etc on stage - why regress in this respect? 

Why is that a regression? If anything it's progression, the strings were a direct attempt at aping Portishead's live album recorded in NYC with a full orchestra, Kanye's current set up is uniquely Kanye. "Real" instruments don't necessarily mean a better experience, even if it's a completely canned backing track. Would you rather see Catfish & The Bottlemen's reductive, lazy, dull indie rock, or Sleaford Mods with their pre-recorded beats?