If the festival had to move locations would you still go?

Cooter

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

couldnt see ANY other council, county,or town/village putting up with a festi the size of glasto ..if it stops at pilton itll STOP ............imo

You're right, and then it'll only be once every 10 years or so. Just for posh people that can afford the extra, extra shiny golden tickets and diamond studded hunter wellies.

I wouldn't go. It might as well become something else entirely. 

Glastonbury Festival is a package: the location; the farm; the history; the iconic images.

Dumping it on the outskirts of Doncaster isn't going to have the same effect regardless. It's Glastonbury Festival, not a travel fair.

mmmm, not sure, what with the onsite workers grapevine flowing. I may be just shitting myself but the news this morning and then some idiot starting this thread! and the fact that it's the 50th in 2020

Reading the guardian article it appears this is the grapevine screwing up - it's Michael's last in 2020 not the festival's last

And may I add actually that they must really all be off their tits if they think that there is even the slightest chance that this festival would ever work in another location. Either end it in 2018 or 2020 or whatever but dont insult its memory and heritage by pretending that it would ever work elsewhere.

Wow missed this earlier. Really agree with all who say if it comes to it, end it don't move it. It really would just become another festival in my eyes, even if it moves just a mile or so away. The farm, the surrounding land, the history is what makes it so special and keeps me and many others returning year after year.

I am certain the Eavis' do realise this so hopefully just a game of bluff.

Ok just going to point out some things.

Firstly there has absolutely not been any confirmation or indication that the Festival is either finishing or moving after 2018 or 2020. If you actually read what's being said, ie the quotes from Michael, then there's nothing even close to that in there.

The news that's come out today can be boiled down to 2 things - firstly that in order to continue, the festival needs to get enough land at viable rates, and secondly that the fallow year has been put back to 2018.

Then there's a 3rd bit of "news" getting mixed in to create a rumour that the world ends in 2020 - Michael has been hinting about "retiring" at the 50th anniversary - but this has been something he's been saying for a while, since about 2010 I think, and it's something that the Festival have clearly been preparing for over the past 10 years.

If there was actually a serious intention to close or relocate the Festival in 5 years time, then they wouldn't have just built a dedicated office block on a somerset dairy farm, and they wouldn't be signing infrastructure and other contracts that run past 2020.

Ok just going to point out some things.

Firstly there has absolutely not been any confirmation or indication that the Festival is either finishing or moving after 2018 or 2020. If you actually read what's being said, ie the quotes from Michael, then there's nothing even close to that in there.

The news that's come out today can be boiled down to 2 things - firstly that in order to continue, the festival needs to get enough land at viable rates, and secondly that the fallow year has been put back to 2018.

Then there's a 3rd bit of "news" getting mixed in to create a rumour that the world ends in 2020 - Michael has been hinting about "retiring" at the 50th anniversary - but this has been something he's been saying for a while, since about 2010 I think, and it's something that the Festival have clearly been preparing for over the past 10 years.

If there was actually a serious intention to close or relocate the Festival in 5 years time, then they wouldn't have just built a dedicated office block on a somerset dairy farm, and they wouldn't be signing infrastructure and other contracts that run past 2020.

Despite it being a brand new day I can't upvote this but yes, this, exactly. Control the rumours!

A relocated festival could still be run from the Worthy Farm offices. Infrastructure and other contracts could also apply to a relocated festival too surely?

Anyway - hope you are right and this all comes to nothing in the end.

Shittiest news ever. Neil - have you a take on this mate?

There's a quote from Emily today that pretty much says she disagrees with Michael, and which I read as saying between the lines as saying "don't listen to what Michael says".

Someone told me a year ago to not listen to what Michael says. I reckon we shouldn't take much notice of what Michael says.

I think it's fair to say that Michael is not someone who is averse to thinking out loud in public.  It doesn't mean something will come to pass, more that that's his thinking at this time, which will doubtless change as events move on.

Personally, I think this idea that you can't recreate the festival in other surroundings is a load of bollocks. The festival is what it is due to the attention to detail of the organisers, the content/feel in the different fields, and the attendees. Take that and the process of creating the festival to any other location of a similar size and you would get the same feeling.

Personally, I think this idea that you can't recreate the festival in other surroundings is a load of bollocks. The festival is what it is due to the attention to detail of the organisers, the content/feel in the different fields, and the attendees. Take that and the process of creating the festival to any other location of a similar size and you would get the same feeling.

Tell that to a million people worrying about location, location, location

What an absurd comparison !

And what's absurd about it, since you thought it was worth an exclamation mark I'm sure you have a point ready at hand.

Location - where else would put up with it

location - where else has the familiar places and nooks and crannies that keep bringing regulars back

location - where else has the spectacular views across the site and the valley of twinkling lights and campfires

it's a lot of boxes to tick.

And what's absurd about it, since you thought it was worth an exclamation mark I'm sure you have a point ready at hand.

Location - where else would put up with it

location - where else has the familiar places and nooks and crannies that keep bringing regulars back

location - where else has the spectacular views across the site and the valley of twinkling lights and campfires

it's a lot of boxes to tick.

Sorry, a million people are worrying about this? 99% of people would barely bat an eyelid if it changed sites. People go there for the entertainment, not because it's in a some whimsical valley.

You can certainly recreate the festival on another site. It'd take them significantly longer to build a lot of the initial stuff that stays built year-round, but the look and feel of the festival would be preserved.

To answer your questions, in my opinion of course:

Where else has spectacular views across the site? Anywhere that they put the festival that happens to have some hills. I guess they won't put it in Norfolk.

Where has familiar nooks and crannies? The festival where it is now, yes -- but you're mad if you don't think there are other sites that have 'nooks and crannies'. Just won't be familiar first time around. Certainly won't make it any less enjoyable, you don't think it'd be fun exploring and finding all this new stuff that you didn't know about?

Where else would put up with it? Anywhere. The amount of cash it would bring into the area would be highly significant. People love cash.

To be perfectly honest I think it'd be quite interesting if the festival map changed completely each year, with a whole bunch of new stuff appearing.

Unless you actually believe in ley lines then there's nothing particularly special about the current site other than the great memories we all have of it.

Glastonbury is great because of a million other things and there's no reason it couldn't be recreated elsewhere.

If rather it stay put just because, but let's be honest if you were starting from scratch you'd choose a site with better access and drainage for a start.

Sorry, a million people are worrying about this? 99% of people would barely bat an eyelid if it changed sites. People go there for the entertainment, not because it's in a some whimsical valley.

According to our survey 99% of statistics are made up on the spot

Unless you actually believe in ley lines then there's nothing particularly special about the current site other than the great memories we all have of it.

Glastonbury is great because of a million other things and there's no reason it couldn't be recreated elsewhere.

If rather it stay put just because, but let's be honest if you were starting from scratch you'd choose a site with better access and drainage for a start.

The drainage is pretty good now actually!

There's a quote from Emily today that pretty much says she disagrees with Michael, and which I read as saying between the lines as saying "don't listen to what Michael says".

Someone told me a year ago to not listen to what Michael says. I reckon we shouldn't take much notice of what Michael says.

So you're saying all three headliners aren't booked for next year?!

Edited by Alcatraz