Glastocam!

pauladam

As the veteran of my Glastonbury WhatsApp, group I told everyone that they will have definitely started on the covers by Tuesday but I now just look foolish. My aura as the wise old sage of our gang has definitely disappeared! 

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I wonder with all the digging if they might be updating the cables to the sound desks, maybe better fibre optic now they've got Vodafone onboard? (Do they even use fibre?)

I think they are updating the ducting and cable channels but cables themselves won’t stay there all year round.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Long drops should start coming out soon

I used to be one of the relatively few people who knew how to assemble the long drops.

One year I was employed to paint them.

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Having never thought about it before how complex are they to assemble? I guess 0 margin for error to stop people falling in

Fairly straight forward, but there is a specfic order and orientation in which the panels go together which isn't completely obvious until you're shown.

Edited by Skip997

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I wonder with all the digging if they might be updating the cables to the sound desks, maybe better fibre optic now they've got Vodafone onboard? (Do they even use fibre?)

They certainly do use fibre across the site.

There's a permanent back-bone around the site.

A partnership of BBC Music and Glastonbury Festival organisers commissioned Fibre4TV to install a permanent fibre back-bone around the Worthy Farm estate.

Having the obvious complications of installing fibre cable on such a large scale it was decided to use Steel armoured fibre in a combination of 8, 12, 16 and 24 core singlemode fibre. Joining the OB compound with the various stages, such as the John Peel and the Pyramid Stage, the fibre was terminated to these green fibre cabinets to ST and FC/APC connectors for the any number of camera locations or broadcasters that might need to film at that location.

Due to the ‘natural’ conditions that the cable lives in, Fibre4TV make an annual maintenance visit, pre-festival, to ensure that when the worlds eyes turn to Somerset, the fibre back-bone is ready to go.

https://www.fibre4.tv/news/

Plus the bring additional on during the festival.

For the last few years BBC Music has selected Timeline Television to provide both the RF and fibre infrastructure for the outside broadcast at Glastonbury.

BBC Music offers its output on various different platforms: television, radio and interactive. Timeline plays an integral role in the sharing of the content across all of these separate operations.

Timeline ensured that the Glastonbury stages were securely connected to BBC TX scanners for the 60 hours of live transmission.

This was achieved through innovative fibre networking solutions, including Riedel’s Mediornet Systems, linked by a MetroN Hub. The whole system was backed up by a redundant video-over-fibre system.

Providing a site-wide wireless camera system, Timeline used a network of fibre-connected antennas to allow live camera crews to cover the whole of Glastonbury.

Timeline’s experienced technical team ensured that this vital fibre backbone performed seamlessly in the notoriously difficult weather conditions for which Glastonbury is famous.

https://www.timeline.tv/projects/glastonbury/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

This day last year, they need to get a move on!

b4453f9e-dc28-41ff-9e28-0fed60840c8f.jpeg

Last year they had to check it hadn't gone mouldy in the 3 years it had been packed away!