Headliners 2016

thewayiam

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

That is perfectly fine mate and I appreciate we all listen to music for different reasons.

Generally I am not full of cigarettes and alcohol. There is quite a lot of heavy and dark music I listen to. The likes of The Smiths, Depeche Mode and Puressence can be extremely dark and the subject matter very heavy, yet they retain a warmth and hope that I do not find in Radioheads music.

I find Radiohead very similar to Joy Division in regards to the feelings they leave me with after I have listened to them. There is no way I could watch either band live which is kind of funny considering I love New Order and enjoy the few JD numbers they do live. It is the reason that I do not go and watch Peter Hook when he does the JD back catalogue.

I like music that will either make me dance,  or cheer me up and put a smile on my face. Life can be sad and hard enough at times as it is so I really don't want to be left cold by music.

Alas, how your heart and spirit cannot soar to heights far in excess of Olympus Mons in that moment after Let Down comes apart completely then coaleses again into something complete and completing and perfect.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, russycarps said:

*ticks puressence off the manc bands bingo card*

LOL they are from Failsworth which comes under Oldham (although it is only half a mile from my house)

In my defence here I had no idea where they were from when I first heard them. The singer is totally different from any other Manchester singer in that he can actually sing. He reminds me of Fergal Sharkey.  I was majorly into dance music when they came on to the scene and I think it was Chris Evans playing them on the radio that got me into them. The first 3 albums are fantastic and I have never understood how they never broke through.

My Manchester music tastes are often derided on here and I get some stick for it, but Puressence do not fit the Manchester band stereotype in any way and I think the place they come from has worked against them. They really are a case of right band, wrong time.

It saddens me seeing The Courteeners being lauded and filling big venues while Puressence remain an after thought.

Edited by eastynh

12 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Genuinely thought Puressence were one of them emo bands that played Reading every few years. Infact they're from the 90's, yet I cannot remember a thing about them. And I remember shite like Ooberman, Electracy, Superstar and 18 Wheeler!!

Give Only Forever a listen. It is probably their best album. The 1st 3 are pretty good though.

I do not know what emo is so can'take comment on that but if you only listen to them once then give them a try. ( I am a bit sceptical at them being emo though even though I don'the know what it is)

Edited by eastynh

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Electrasy played my student union on the back of that one hit they had that was like embrace but not even as good as that. They were rubbish.

They played Sunderland University when I was there as well. I remember Best Friends Girl and Morning Afterglow.

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Give Only Forever a listen. It is probably their best album. The 1st 3 are pretty good though.

I do not know what emo is so can'take comment on that but if you only listen to them once then give them a try. ( I am a bit sceptical at them being emo though even though I don'the know what it is)

I was mistaking them for Evanessence. Who probably aren't Emo!!

19 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Genuinely thought Puressence were one of them emo bands that played Reading every few years. Infact they're from the 90's, yet I cannot remember a thing about them. And I remember shite like Ooberman, Electracy, Superstar and 18 Wheeler!!

Are you thinking of Evanescence? 

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

What did he say about Tim Burgess? He's probably upset Tim is friends with Liam.

On Soccer AM they showed a clip of Gary Neville playing guitar with The Charlatans then when they asked for Noel's opinion on his guitar technique he replied with something like "well he's got more stage presence than the singer anyway", then when they replied saying you can't say that about Tim Burgess he said "was that Tim Burgess, it looked more like Lady Gaga". Needless.

5 minutes ago, Badlands said:

They played Sunderland University when I was there as well. I remember Best Friends Girl and Morning Afterglow.

I was mistaking them for Evanessence. Who probably aren't Emo!!

What is Emo?

I don'the know how I would categorise Puressence. They do not fit the Mancunian stereotype and it is fair to say that they have never quite fit in.

They have blazing guitars without ever treading in the John Squire/Led Zeppelin territory. The piano keys are definitely on the minor chords but everything compliments each other perfectly. The singer manages to remain desolate yet heart warming at the same time. He is certainly distinctive.

22 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

On Soccer AM they showed a clip of Gary Neville playing guitar with The Charlatans then when they asked for Noel's opinion on his guitar technique he replied with something like "well he's got more stage presence than the singer anyway", then when they replied saying you can't say that about Tim Burgess he said "was that Tim Burgess, it looked more like Lady Gaga". Needless.

He's cutting, I will give him that. He can be funny though and the Lady Gaga comment made me laugh.

Is there anyone who escapes his wrath who is not his mate? He steers clear of commenting on The Smiths and New Order. He does not really comment on electronic music either. It seems to be the usurper's to his crown that he seems to come out with derogatory remarks about, or bands that would not get embroiled in a war of words with. People like Burgess plus the members of Radiohead and Hot Chip come across as thoroughly decent people and hence easy targets. Noel comes across as a bit of a c**t. The problem is he is a funny c**t.

Edited by eastynh

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

This thread is slowly imploding.

So I'm gonna chuck in there - based on very little - that Adele won't headline, but will play.

I'm wrong every year, so I've got naff all credibility to lose.

Last year's headliners thread was great. This year's has reflected the rumoured headliners. Nice enough but not very exciting. Unfortunately I have been as responsible as the rest for making it so.

Not saying I wish a broken leg on anyone but it certainly made things a little livelier last year.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She's scared of big crowds, not the dark!

'Ah, Adele, we have the perfect solution to your fear of big crowds, we're going to put you on in the middle of the day when there's fewer big acts elsewhere to draw people away, guaranteeing you a minuscule crowd!'

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

'Ah, Adele, we have the perfect solution to your fear of big crowds, we're going to put you on in the middle of the day when there's fewer big acts elsewhere to draw people away, guaranteeing you a minuscule crowd!'

Haha, naturally she'd have a huge crowd wherever and it isn't the issue where she would play where she wants to. I agree with the person a while back saying that playing the 02 is still a farcry from what she would have at Glasto. It could be telling that she announced that many arena dates but not a load of stadiums. We'll see.

Just now, thewayiam said:

Haha, naturally she'd have a huge crowd wherever and it isn't the issue where she would play where she wants to. I agree with the person a while back saying that playing the 02 is still a farcry from what she would have at Glasto. It could be telling that she announced that many arena dates but not a load of stadiums. We'll see.

The whole stage fright thing is an act anyway, she'll do some more interviews in the lead up to her headline slot about how scared she is, building a triumphant narrative when she eventually goes on and does it as expected. It's all very calculated. It's not really a matter of stage fright why they wouldn't put her on during the afternoon, it's just basic crowd control.

52 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

The whole stage fright thing is an act anyway, she'll do some more interviews in the lead up to her headline slot about how scared she is, building a triumphant narrative when she eventually goes on and does it as expected. It's all very calculated. It's not really a matter of stage fright why they wouldn't put her on during the afternoon, it's just basic crowd control.

wasn't much of an act when she was saying it years ago and selling out academies when she could have been doing arenas then too. she clearly didn't want to play them before now.

Edited by ghostdancer1

27 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

wasn't much of an act when she was saying it years ago and selling out academies when she could have been doing arenas then too. she clearly didn't want to play them before now.

Yes, to be fair she knew there would be more money in doing arenas by album 21 easily so why would you not taks that option up. There is putting an act and there is using it to stop yourself making a lot more money, not likely.

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

tbf, Tim Burgess' hair deserves all the ridicule it gets.