Headliners 2016

thewayiam

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Always strikes me that people who have a pop at the Beatles sound like they haven't listened to anything released after 'Help', well apart from Hey Jude and Let It Be.

Or maybe they have and simply didnt like it?

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, mrf said:

Or maybe they have and simply didnt like it?

Always a possibility, I just think it’s mental that someone could listen to the likes of Tomorrow Never Knows, Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence, Something, Glass Onion, I Want You, She’s Leaving Home and say they’re ‘boring’.

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Always a possibility, I just think it’s mental that someone could listen to the likes of Tomorrow Never Knows, Helter Skelter, Dear Prudence, Something, Glass Onion, I Want You, She’s Leaving Home and say they’re ‘boring’.

Dont get me wrong, there are moments of genius. But the same can be said of so many bands that never get put up on the same pedestal as them. Unfortunately (for me) the moments of genius are spread too thinly to justify their godlike status.

I can't say I have any real strong feelings on the Beatles either way. It's impossible not to respect and admire their achievements and how they changed the landscape, but in terms of their actual music I can't say I've ever had that moment where it all clicks in to place. Some great songs and classic albums without a doubt, but for some reason I have never seen them as anything more than just a great band. I guess becoming a music fan in the 90s, with so much fantastic music to get up to speed with from previous generations, as well as the music being released at the time, it's difficult to fully contextualise the Beatles.

This thread is really running its course :P Arguments about the Beatles is the efestivals equivalent of every debate eventually leading to arguments about the Nazi party.

7 minutes ago, mrf said:

Dont get me wrong, there are moments of genius. But the same can be said of so many bands that never get put up on the same pedestal as them. Unfortunately (for me) the moments of genius are spread too thinly to justify their godlike status.

I think a lot of their genius is in their production and the "never-been-done-before" tag which they have. Some of the stuff they were coming up with at the time really was ridiculous and so beyond their time it boggles the mind. Some of the recording techniques were revolutionary, the way they spanned across numerous genres etc... was something which had never been done before and influenced so many after them. Even if you don't like them, it's hard to deny their Godlike status.

43 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

One of the few here probably who thinks the Beatles were an overrated act in their time, better musicians out there, better songwriters out there, better performers out there at the time.....but the Beatles got the plaudits because they after all were the good looking Liverpool lads who came along at the right time for their guitar based pop act to take off and attain cult status as it did (even if it wasn't original in the slightest)  They weren't crap, not by any means but to me I dont hear `superstars` in their music as they were made out to be. Cant help but wonder if wed remember them so fondly but for what happened away from the music and the headlines it generated. 

what the fuck are you fucking on about you fucking pikey c**t

R4B x x

One of my happiest memories was on a short break to M'Bour, Southern Senegal a few years ago when I was feeling a bit down in the dumps about stuff and needed a bit of me time. Was sat at this lovely beachside bar, looking out over the Atlantic Ocean when 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Come Together' came on over the speakers. It was bloody heaven for those few minutes and I've rarely been happier. 

Never understood anyone who say's they don't like the Beatles songs. Such a variety and you can't find one or two that leave you daydreaming or bring a smile to your face?!

I've listened to a lot of Beatles, and alway struggled to fully get why they are classed as the best band ever. They have a lot of songs which i think are ok, and I 100% can see how they were frequently very innovative, but there isn't a single song that I absolutely adore. My favourite is Here Comes The Sun, which I think is nice.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Listening to Abbey Road now.  Sublime.  I was going to make a snide remark about the Lennon songs being better (which they certainly are on Side A), but Side B of this album must be Paul's finest hour.

Tends to change but I find it hard not to have Abbey Road as my favourite Beatles album. The entire medley is just a brilliant composition from start to finish. That, She’s Leaving Home and a couple of his contributions to the White Album are Paul at his very best.

The beatles output is so vast, there is a lot of crap. They also did so much good stuff. It was so varied too.

Has any other band been responsible for tunes with the variety of..

I wanna hold your hand

Blackbird

Tomorrow Never Knows

Hey Jude

Revolution #9

-------

Abbey Road is by far my favourite Beatles album. Sgt. Pepper is vastly over rated in my opinion.

As for Roses4Baggie... what a tool. He must get a kick out of it. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop