Coachella

mccdyl001

Oh, one more thing.  I'd just like to point out how crazy it seems to go to the Pyramid stage to watch a headliner and only being able to see other peoples flags.  I mean, I'm looking forward to trying it, but come on.

I like you already :)

Oh, one more thing.  I'd just like to point out how crazy it seems to go to the Pyramid stage to watch a headliner and only being able to see other peoples flags.  I mean, I'm looking forward to trying it, but come on.

People do lots of crazy things at Glastonbury, its a bit like that.

Hope you get tickets, it's the best.

Charm x

If it hasn't been mentioned already, gathering of the vibes looks pretty damn good. Same rules as any arena festival in the UK, will probably be easy to sneak some vodka inside of a coke bottle! Plus bands performing till the early hours. What a line up as well.

http://gatheringofthevibes.com/schedule/

• 6 years later...

2022 lineup should be dropping week commencing 3rd Jan.

Looks like Frank and Travis will not be returning by Rage Against The Machine will.

Interested to see the full lineup and if there are any names on there which mean something for Glastonbury. Let’s hope this is the first of many announcements for Kendrick.

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

2022 lineup should be dropping week commencing 3rd Jan.

Looks like Frank and Travis will not be returning by Rage Against The Machine will.

Interested to see the full lineup and if there are any names on there which mean something for Glastonbury. Let’s hope this is the first of many announcements for Kendrick.

We’ll see. Best thing is it will be a conflict solver for me since there will be a handful of crossover 😉

lets also put it out there that they crossed the £400 mark on ticket cost with their price change.

Edited by Suprefan

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

lets also put it out there that they crossed the £400 mark on ticket cost with their price change.

Not a surprise. Upper-middle class attendees and influencers is their target market. Also people across the globe who are willing to make a trick of it.

They know that their attendees are willing to part with serious money to attend. So it doesn’t surprise me at all.

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not a surprise. Upper-middle class attendees and influencers is their target market. Also people across the globe who are willing to make a trick of it.

They know that their attendees are willing to part with serious money to attend. So it doesn’t surprise me at all.

Yeah cause im so upper middle class and also the biggest influencer. So all those college kids that surround me come from well off backrounds? I doubt it. If they all had money why does the fest offer a 7 month payment plan. Why are hotels and airbnbs crammed with extra people to keep the cost manageable if thats how you planned your stay vs camping? So I dont know how 0.1% of the audience you see represents the other 99.9. But wait, thats how you perceive it through the instagram lens. We’re willing to part with the money cause we know what we’re getting out of the weekend. The lack of major and visible sponsorship compared to Lolla or ACL makes a huge difference with cost on top of that. No stages are named after a telcom or beer company. Production is top notch along with other things and that costs money. And having actual fully trained staff does put a dent in the budget. 

Theres always that discussion as to why Glasto cant get this and that due to artists asking for the moon and not going along with the whole charity/benefit reduced fee thing. Well Coachella doesnt have to worry about that cause they arent fighting themselves, just every other promoter in the world.

But now Glasto is coming into a quandry of not being the festival for the average person due to the £300 number. So its going to join em in that category of only catering to upper middle class and influencers real soon even though it might already be there. The funny thing is the last couple of Glastos have given that impression due to not having foul weather. No more people covered in piles of mud, just lots of smiles and sunshine. Its attractive to the casual onlooker when they see it on tele. If Glasto was guaranteed to be a wet biblical slog every year you dont get that shift in perception. Sorry if we have blue skys and no rain. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah cause im so upper middle class and also the biggest influencer. So all those college kids that surround me come from well off backrounds? I doubt it. If they all had money why does the fest offer a 7 month payment plan. Why are hotels and airbnbs crammed with extra people to keep the cost manageable if thats how you planned your stay vs camping? So I dont know how 0.1% of the audience you see represents the other 99.9. But wait, thats how you perceive it through the instagram lens. We’re willing to part with the money cause we know what we’re getting out of the weekend. The lack of major and visible sponsorship compared to Lolla or ACL makes a huge difference with cost on top of that. No stages are named after a telcom or beer company. Production is top notch along with other things and that costs money. And having actual fully trained staff does put a dent in the budget. 

Theres always that discussion as to why Glasto cant get this and that due to artists asking for the moon and not going along with the whole charity/benefit reduced fee thing. Well Coachella doesnt have to worry about that cause they arent fighting themselves, just every other promoter in the world.

But now Glasto is coming into a quandry of not being the festival for the average person due to the £300 number. So its going to join em in that category of only catering to upper middle class and influencers real soon even though it might already be there. The funny thing is the last couple of Glastos have given that impression due to not having foul weather. No more people covered in piles of mud, just lots of smiles and sunshine. Its attractive to the casual onlooker when they see it on tele. If Glasto was guaranteed to be a wet biblical slog every year you dont get that shift in perception. Sorry if we have blue skys and no rain. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Merry Christmas 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Is it hard being so defensive about everything and anything? Just because the people you see there don't fit the Coachella stereotype doesn't mean it's wrong. 

No one said barely anything and you just ripped off someone's neck and shat down it. 

Chill. Out.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I think its unfair to look at ticket price alone. You have to pay 102$ + fees to camp in a desert at Coachella or get a hotel which will no doubt cost a fortune. Alcohol rules will also mean you are spending far more + food and drinks too.

I do think your view on the audience should be considered though - not everyone who goes will be rich, they are well known for their exclusivity contract so when an artist with a very dedicated but younger fanbase like Travis Scott is (was) playing, lots of young people will be saving up for those tickets. Plus LA is a huge metropolitan area over double the size of London, plenty of normal people will be going to Coachella too.

---

Surely Adele must be in the mix on a lighter note?

Edited by gfa

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Unlikely with the Vegas dates

If I had to take a punt I’d say RATM, Kendrick, Kanye

Ah i see thanks. Kanye played last edition - maybe Arctics could be in with a shout too although not sure after TBHC

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

Fucking hell, here we go again. Did you get your 32p refund from Neil that you were moaning about on Twitter?

I dont pay for gold? Plus sarcasm......

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I think its unfair to look at ticket price alone. You have to pay 102$ + fees to camp in a desert at Coachella or get a hotel which will no doubt cost a fortune. Alcohol rules will also mean you are spending far more + food and drinks too.

I do think your view on the audience should be considered though - not everyone who goes will be rich, they are well known for their exclusivity contract so when an artist with a very dedicated but younger fanbase like Travis Scott is (was) playing, lots of young people will be saving up for those tickets. Plus LA is a huge metropolitan area over double the size of London, plenty of normal people will be going to Coachella too.

---

Surely Adele must be in the mix on a lighter note?

No Adele, which stinks. She was in talks but it just didnt materialize this year.

And remember they sell most of their tickets in a blind presale since its the only way to get the payment plan, so they hook you from the start. You obviously hope that a Travis Scott is on the lne up, or you just sell your ticket if youre in that younger demographic.  And its not just people from LA that even go.. More than half come from out of state, and that statistic was from a few years ago last it popped up. Plenty of normal people come from everywhere thats the thing. Its just perception more than anything as I said. You save your money to buy nice clothes just for that weekend to look your best, then you go home to a tiny apartment and not so nice clothes, plain and simple. Cost has been a thing for a few years now because of the other things you do have to pay for. There are no price regulations when it comes to hotels or Airbnb although Airbnb rentals are their own hellscape. And the major hotels  all hike their prices up for 3 weekends in April because they know people have to pay regardless. Those things are actually turning people off to going anymore, not the festival itself. In 2019 you could find a hotel at a reasonable rate for the second weekend because 20,000 less people were in attendance.

The reality is going to set in after next year happens and they put tickets on sale in June for 2023. How many people will fork over $500 minimum for the weekend is the question. The price hike in this festivals terms should translate to top tier headliners. If there isnt a Beyonce,  Adele, Taylor Swift, Rolling Stones, U2, Coldplay, Oasis reunion etc amongst the Billie Eilish, Dua Lipas,  and Tyler The Creators then its going to be rough sledding. Primavera Sound is that example of getting a bulk of relevant, rare and older artists mixed in while giving you one of the best values at their price point. You couldnt have that festival here without doubling the cost. Case in point the Los Angeles version of Primavera. Its going to cost almost $500 a ticket for that line up which has barely 30% of what Barcelona has on tap talent wise. The value isnt there and the ticket sales reflect that. 

Anyway, dont think Im angry or upset. I came into this thread 6 years late so Ill have thoughts or opinions from having gone almost 20 years. Its just like Glasto, youve seen all the changes for better or worse but you still keep coming back cause there is just something about the place that has you queueing up for a ticket every year. It also is a hot button topic because people hate to admit that theyre looking into the mirror. We do it our way, you do it yours. I just want to see this new poster thatll be out in 10 days so theres something to get excited about and theyve held onto my money for 3 years and all I got a was a box with wristbands that wont work.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Just to be straight. Coachella has a influencer side but not like you're making out. Plenty of people who aren't just rich kids attend.

Let's not pretend though that Glastonbury hasn't gone extremely heavy compared to 10 years ago on the social side of things. Everything is now hashtags etc etc. There always has been celebrities there but nowadays even more so. 

I would swap the weather there for any festivals here as you can basically guarantee it but the lineups have gone way down hill for me personally. But I'm not the rap and grime scene and if that scene globally is big right now then there isn't any other festival that will apply to more than Coachella. 

Just remember, it's a couple of hours outside of LA and not every person in LA is rich.

Of course not everyone who attends coachella is an upper- middle class influencer that isn’t what I said. But they definitely market and price the festival for a certain clientele. I have weighed up going many times and the costs are astronomical.

Glastonbury isn’t cheap but compared to Coachella it’s great value for money. It is definitely way way way more expensive than going to a UK festival.

(I wasn’t incorporating cost of flights into it either I have family based in the states and could drive there).

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Of course not everyone who attends coachella is an upper- middle class influencer that isn’t what I said. But they definitely market and price the festival for a certain clientele. I have weighed up going many times and the costs are astronomical.

Glastonbury isn’t cheap but compared to Coachella it’s great value for money. It is definitely way way way more expensive than going to a UK festival.

(I wasn’t incorporating cost of flights into it either I have family based in the states and could drive there).

Primavera and NOS Alive are probably the only festivals that rival Glastonbury for value and i’d still say they aren’t close. Perhaps Sziget too and then like Inmusic/Benicassim for the much cheaper end ones

On 12/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, Matt42 said:

Price wise when I went I fully got value for money.

You know it's going to cost a lot to go so. But a few days in LA and a few in Vegas while over there make it a spot on trip. Always a once and only for me though. I had around 32 acts to watch that year whereas now I'm lucky if there is 6 across the weekend. 

On 12/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, Suprefan said:

The way you go about defending Coachella is the reason why nobody likes Coachella... Or the people that attended it throwing up the peace signs ✌️

Lineup looking to drop within the next 5 days. Here is a prediction poster a user on Reddit just put up. Lots here that would be great. 

I think Cardi would be a good headliner but I’m really expecting it to be Kendrick instead. If Kendrick isn’t at Coachella then I have no idea what is going on with his 2022 plans.

783F5067-0B81-43E4-B863-BE04E7A85CA9.jpeg

16 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

That looks very plausible. All the big electronic, R&B and rap acts seem well placed. Although I think a few more rock entries in the upper 2-3 rows will be likely.

Overall that bill skews very dance-y, which perhaps reflects acts known to be touring next year. But a lot of the band schedules will become apparent after Coachella's starting gun.

So maybe a pop-punk reunion or lifer; maybe Weezer, maybe Travis Barker & Friends, maybe (ugh) Machine Gun Kelly. Or even some indie names like YYYs. But either way, I'd say a few more guitar slingers are on the cards.

Yeah I think the final product will always be hard to predict but I think it is pretty reflective of the direction Coach has been going in recent.

A sort of haven for hip hop, dance, K-pop, Latin music etc. I know RATM isn’t a surprise anymore but they are probably taking the reunion band spot this year.

Imagine if RATM didn’t self announce for 2020 and a poster just dropped with RATM on it. You’d go nuts.

Edited by Matt42