The N Word

MrZigster

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing worse than seeing people singing along with provocative lyrics and emphasising the naughtiest parts at the top of their voices while looking around them as if to say "Yes! Yes, I dare!".

Well, there is. A bunch of white guys using the word 'nigger', for example.

It's all very well having the idea that blacks should reclaim the word and make it theirs, but that's not the start and end of it. It puts the word back into circulation, back into use, and strengthens its meaning, and the racists finally find something to like black people for. ;)

It's so very poorly thought out, and anti-productive.

Kanye encourages it. One time during All of the Lights he stopped the show and said "y'all gotta be louder than that - this is the only time you get to use that word" and picked it back up again.

and everyone knew the history of the word, and what they were really saying, yeah? And then knew to never say it again.

Or not.

and everyone knew the history of the word, and what they were really saying, yeah? And then knew to never say it again.

Or not.

I dunno. I kinda feel the awareness is quite high and that if they were at a Kanye West concert they would probably at least loosely know the origins of the word and why it's a no-no. I don't think those people censoring themselves are doing so because they don't want to pass the word on to others that don't know the origins, they just don't wanna cause offence by saying it at all, and I don't really see what the offence is when using it in the context of a black artist's work.