Download 2016

Hart Attack

I get that argument with headliners but no excuse on rebooking korn for the nth time, and bumping up them and nightwish.  Safe reliable headliners means they could of pushed the boat out a bit more on undercard.  Subs in 2013 were QotSA and 30STM to maiden and Rammstein - massive bands with Korn playing 3rd from top.  3 years later you have Maiden and Rammstein back again with Korn bumped up to sub and Nightwish bumped up to Sub.  As much as I dislike 30STM that's a big step down 3 years later and which doesn't make the repeat any better.

I get that they might wanna 'keep soni away' but Download should be booking for Download and what suits it long term.  I think a safe line up will sell okay (not great) but also do nothing to help Download in the long term.  A more varied line up (safe headliner or two with some risks/more out there bookings) could easily sell better and do more to help the fest long term and not get stuck in a rut.  Download has the appeal to do that if they want and the money to make it work, but some years I think they start with good intentions and make the odd inspired booking but then bottle it and book Korn and Blackstone Cherry again to try to maximise sales of one year and not thinking about the diminishing returns.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that argument with headliners but no excuse on rebooking korn for the nth time, and bumping up them and nightwish.  Safe reliable headliners means they could of pushed the boat out a bit more on undercard.  Subs in 2013 were QotSA and 30STM to maiden and Rammstein - massive bands with Korn playing 3rd from top.  3 years later you have Maiden and Rammstein back again with Korn bumped up to sub and Nightwish bumped up to Sub.  As much as I dislike 30STM that's a big step down 3 years later and which doesn't make the repeat any better.

I get that they might wanna 'keep soni away' but Download should be booking for Download and what suits it long term.  I think a safe line up will sell okay (not great) but also do nothing to help Download in the long term.  A more varied line up (safe headliner or two with some risks/more out there bookings) could easily sell better and do more to help the fest long term and not get stuck in a rut.  Download has the appeal to do that if they want and the money to make it work, but some years I think they start with good intentions and make the odd inspired booking but then bottle it and book Korn and Blackstone Cherry again to try to maximise sales of one year and not thinking about the diminishing returns.

My theory would be that Ritchie Blackmore negotiations fell through and they moved Deftones over to Saturday sub from Friday, pushing Korn up the bill one place and them reaching out to Motorhead (no summer dates so far) to fill in the vacated slot. That's no excuse for Nightwish though. However the best time to roll out the weakest sub trio in years/ever would probably be alongside the strongest headliner trio they've ever put on.

I can only disagree with what you and Yellow_Fellow are saying about what Download can do as a festival. As much as I'd love it to be a varied festival that takes risks (although it's daft of me to demand it having never been) it seems that most risks they do aren't successful, ergo they've settled into being UK's metal festival, and people can reasonably get what is expected from that and have a good time of it or go somewhere else.

Edited by dentalplan

The blowing money on headliners doesn't make sense when you look at the subs for 2012 and 2013 (two massive years), I think it depends on who is available. I mean look at the undercard at other festivals thus far, are there actually any more suitable bands? BMTH and Biffy are touring but Biffy won't sub obviously and I'm sure BMTH are penciled in to headline 2017.

Also Nightwish sell tickets, they've sold out Wembley Arena I believe. In terms of ticket sales they are bigger than Rob Zombie, Korn, on par with Deftones. I dislike them as a band but I think people underestimate their pulling power

Grumpy people are grumpy. I like the top 6. I like it even better that Volbeat can only play Sunday so will be on against Nightwish. The least gutting clash. This will most likely be a record year but it seems AC can do no right. I'm sure he'll dry his eyes with cash before raising a glass of fuck you to the never satisfied geeks who most likely never leave their computers to actually attend a festival anyway.

I'm more surprised that I haven't heard of Nightwish. I listen to a lot of music and could tell you something about each of the top 3 acts for all of the previous Downloads, except for ZWAN (but I did search then on YouTube and I instantly recognised Billy Corgan so I guess that counts for something), but who the hell are they??? It's not like I'm out of touch with music. I just haven't heard of them at all and what have they done to deserve going from subbing 2nd to subbing main I just don't know. I'm not a huge fan of Disturbed but I think they would have made for an decent sub given the reunion so I don't know why they were put in 3rd and Nightwish were deemed big enough to sub.

Also just listened to Nightwish for the first time and they sound w*nk too

Edited by justanothername

The blowing money on headliners doesn't make sense when you look at the subs for 2012 and 2013 (two massive years), I think it depends on who is available. I mean look at the undercard at other festivals thus far, are there actually any more suitable bands? BMTH and Biffy are touring but Biffy won't sub obviously and I'm sure BMTH are penciled in to headline 2017.

Also Nightwish sell tickets, they've sold out Wembley Arena I believe. In terms of ticket sales they are bigger than Rob Zombie, Korn, on par with Deftones. I dislike them as a band but I think people underestimate their pulling power

It's one Wembley date, nothing that major!

My theory would be that Ritchie Blackmore negotiations fell through and they moved Deftones over to Saturday sub from Friday, pushing Korn up the bill one place and them reaching out to Motorhead (no summer dates so far) to fill in the vacated slot. That's no excuse for Nightwish though. However the best time to roll out the weakest sub trio in years/ever would probably be alongside the strongest headliner trio they've ever put on.

I can only disagree with what you and Yellow_Fellow are saying about what Download can do as a festival. As much as I'd love it to be a varied festival that takes risks (although it's daft of me to demand it having never been) it seems that most risks they do aren't successful, ergo they've settled into being UK's metal festival, and people can reasonably get what is expected from that and have a good time of it or go somewhere else.

I'd argue that AC/DC, RATM and Aerosmith was bigger, infact I don't think it's an argument.

Grumpy people are grumpy. I like the top 6. I like it even better that Volbeat can only play Sunday so will be on against Nightwish. The least gutting clash. This will most likely be a record year but it seems AC can do no right. I'm sure he'll dry his eyes with cash before raising a glass of fuck you to the never satisfied geeks who most likely never leave their computers to actually attend a festival anyway.

Haha, how biased! You ignore the repeat shit he crap positioning he puts on with a higher ticket price and played it down. Copping's got you firmly by the small one's lol.

It's one Wembley date, nothing that major!

It's as much as Deftones have done in about the last 10 years, yet apparently that's fine.

And why would Disturbed make a good sub ahead of them? It's not even a reunion. They just hadn't released anything for a while. And even then, they're not exactly that big.

i think thats definitely put the prospect of going to DL2016 to bed. Deftones and motorhead are the only things I would like to see there. I love megadeth but they are so hit and miss these days, and Korn used to be a fave of mine, but I just dont fancy them any more.

Haha, how biased! You ignore the repeat shit he crap positioning he puts on with a higher ticket price and played it down. Copping's got you firmly by the small one's lol.

Is it ok that I want to see all the headliners again? I paid the same as last year but you are right, if I want to see those bands then I have to dance the Copping dance. There is no alternative in this country. Living where I do, if I wanna see any of those bands in isolation then it'll cost me the price of a Download ticket anyway. I'm loving the line up so far. 

And now I remember why I got bored of Download and didn't go last year. How many years am I gonna have to take off before we get a line up that feels anywhere near 'fresh'?

It still blows my mind that the Prodigy / C&S day went down what felt like an apparent success, for Download to then revert back to the same old crap every year after. Bored.

It's as much as Deftones have done in about the last 10 years, yet apparently that's fine.

And why would Disturbed make a good sub ahead of them? It's not even a reunion. They just hadn't released anything for a while. And even then, they're not exactly that big.

I don't think Disturbed should sub but they have at least done a arena tour previous, but no they aren't that big. 

And now I remember why I got bored of Download and didn't go last year. How many years am I gonna have to take off before we get a line up that feels anywhere near 'fresh'?

It still blows my mind that the Prodigy / C&S day went down what felt like an apparent success, for Download to then revert back to the same old crap every year after. Bored.

This exactly. They went down great. Copping raves on about it being a rock festival yet all 9 bands announced are metal bands and just repeats etc.

If the future of "rock" festivals is backing tracks with an MC shouting over shitey pop then I'm out. When Chase and status were kind of a poor man's Pendulum they were ok. Has anybody actually listened to them recently? It's not would even be remotely acceptable at Download. If that's your thing you are at the wrong festival. 

Nightwish were great in 2012 on 2nd. It was rammed and they killed it. It's hardly metal is it. Operatic rock I'd say. Anyways, the crowd they got then suggests they'll pull off a higher slot. Personally I'm hoping Volbeat will be on 2nd at the time and that's where I'll be. But wait, I've seen them 3 times in 5 years. That's terrible. Man sees band he likes again. Best get on a forum and whinge about repitition instead.

Awful for me. I'm 2 of 9 with rammstein and deftones the only bands I'm interested in. I'll be seeing rammstein at werchter anyway so think I'll just cancel my deposit scheme. 

Same old oap's who should have packed it in a long time ago with a few bands that were last relevant 15 years ago. 

Well at least I've saved some cash, which means I can do BOA instead.

2 hours ago, devilman said:

But wait, I've seen them 3 times in 5 years. That's terrible. Man sees band he likes again. Best get on a forum and whinge about repitition instead.

I like repetition. In fact I rely on it. Eventually, once I've seen the same bands about 10 times my fragmented, alcohol crippled memory will have enough tiny flashbacks available that I can piece together that I may actually remember being there without confirmation from those who were with me held me up during it.

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I'd argue that AC/DC, RATM and Aerosmith was bigger, infact I don't think it's an argument.

Good because I wouldn't dream of discussing it with you.

6 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

True, but it's always possible that a band can play venues and still not be nearly as popular or recognisable as another band playing that venue so it may have kinda blindsided people.

4 hours ago, devilman said:

If the future of "rock" festivals is backing tracks with an MC shouting over shitey pop then I'm out. When Chase and status were kind of a poor man's Pendulum they were ok. Has anybody actually listened to them recently? It's not would even be remotely acceptable at Download. If that's your thing you are at the wrong festival. 

Nightwish were great in 2012 on 2nd. It was rammed and they killed it. It's hardly metal is it. Operatic rock I'd say. Anyways, the crowd they got then suggests they'll pull off a higher slot. Personally I'm hoping Volbeat will be on 2nd at the time and that's where I'll be. But wait, I've seen them 3 times in 5 years. That's terrible. Man sees band he likes again. Best get on a forum and whinge about repitition instead.

It's a fucking metal festival with a few rock bands chucked in so Copping can try and justify that it's not yet some bands that don't want to be associated with metal won't play it. It's symphonic metal if we're being picky, metal doesn't have to be heavy.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Good because I wouldn't dream of discussing it with you.

Good, because based on your thought, you'd be wrong.

I swear I've seen this argument with Gazza before where he keeps claiming Download is a metal fest and not a rock fest. I'm pretty sure it ended when someone posted the the first page of the Download site where it says it's a rock festival so Gazza backtracked and started claiming he was calling it a rock fest all along and everyone else was calling it a metal fest.

:lol:

I think there are points on either side of that argument. From top to bottom you can't call it a metal festival, but when the festival usually features recurring metal acts in the upper reaches and there are a few major rock bands that seemingly won't touch the festival and vice versa, it's not out of line to refer to it as 'a metal festival'.