Download 2016

Hart Attack

That Rammstein day is the worst top 3 I've ever seen on a Download day, it shouts out spending on headers. And Megadeath 3rd on Sabbaths day again. Not as bad a Slipknot and BSC opposite but it's close enough!

weird really... I guess it's personal taste because at the moment...Friday is the only day that looks half decent to me..sunday looks so f'ing boring man

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weird really... I guess it's personal taste because at the moment...Friday is the only day that looks half decent to me..sunday looks so f'ing boring man

Considering Korn is a weak sub given the previous couple of times but clearly felt they had nothing stronger available/money after the headers. Imagine how weak it would have looked having Korn sub and BMTH heading!.....cause that was going to happen lol.

definitely not an inspired top tier of acts for Download - usually there's an act in there that has me thinking 'wow, that's pretty huge' or a reformed act that makes it seem interesting, but there's none of that there this time (i know Disturbed have reformed, but it's hardly Faith No More, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Motley Crue's last time round etc)

What is it looking like officially? I've only come in halfway through the announcements! 

Rammstein / KoRn / Motörhead 

Black Sabbath / Deftones / Megadeth 

Iron Maiden / Disturbed / Nightwish 

?????

Yeah if Volbeat or Within Temptation are 2nd headers opposite Maiden I think I'd go for a day. Rest is woeful! Nightwish as a sub after being equivalent to 4th down last time and nothing to justify it majorly isn't great, 3rd down really.

Motorhead is just a purel lazy booking, Lemme is too ill all the time to try and sing anymore.

Edited by thewayiam

KoRn into Rammstein has got me and my group of friends 100% in the day ticket bracket. Motörhead will be good to see too, as they are a band we all like when we were a lot younger. 

Deftones and Disturbed are two bands whom I would also want to see, it's just a shame that I don't care about Sabbath/Megadeth and Maiden/Nightwish. 

Providing some decent second stage headlines though, a weekend ticket would still be a possibility. 

I'm going for Bullet For My Valentine, Volbeat and All Time Low as second stage headliners. 

Edited by Andre91

Sonisphere for a decent price could easily beat that.

Easy to say but who would they get to easily beat that though?

By the time you take away the bands who have done the UK festivals to death (Metallica,etc) and the unrealistic bands(Can't see Sonisphere getting Tool or a reunited Guns n Roses) then there ain't much to play with

Rammstein 
KoRn 
Motörhead 
Trivium
Coheed and Cambria 

Bullet For My Valentine 
Skindred

Black Sabbath 
Deftones
Megadeth 
Slayer 
While She Sleeps 

Volbeat
Dropkick Murphys

Iron Maiden 
Nightwish
Disturbed
The Darkness
Halestorm

All Time Low 
Of Mice & Men

Edited by Andre91

I'm hoping / guessing that nightwish after disturbed means we are getting a good second stage headliner before maiden are on... So people jump from disturbed to second stage back to maiden.

saturday just makes me want to cry...so boring... Dull dull dull. 

By the time you take away the bands who have done the UK festivals to death (Metallica,etc) and the unrealistic bands(Can't see Sonisphere getting Tool or a reunited Guns n Roses) then there ain't much to play with

Yeah it would have to pull off a minor miracle to get a bigger headlining trio than Download, and that's what most people pay for and the reason they seemingly prioritised headliners over the lineup.

I couldn't really point out anyone that's doing June festivals and could have featured high up that would improve it massively. The Offspring, Trivium, Volbeat, Slayer, Ghost, Alice Cooper, BFMV and Within Temptation are all kicking about but three or four of those will end up on the lineup anyway. Might be different in July when Sonisphere would be but any talk of Sonisphere having an easy task to go up against this is premature and pretty stupid.

Edited by dentalplan

I'm guessing by this point, Copping has a 3 6 sided die with "Slipknot / Metallica / Maiden / Sabbath / Rammstein / Linkin Park" to choose headliners, and then shuffles Kerrang Radio for the subs and chooses the first 6. 

Fucking diabolical.

Impossible to deny it's bereft of imagination but the problem is with the majority (tho certainly not all peeps) only digging their wallets out for those sort of mega headliners. Download tried something different last couple of years and didn't set the world alight, and people instead opted for the likes of Graspop, Sonisphere and Hellfest and stuff that did have those headliners. Plus Sonisphere would have such an in if Download mixed it up and they could get two or three of those headliners next year, and you'd be praising it like hell. :P

Undercard is kinda weak/uninspired but there doesn't seem to be many suitable acts doing the June fests that could dress it up considerably - certainly nothing like the acts doing the rounds last year. All in all, it's a niche market and it has to play into it to make money.

Edited by dentalplan

SOAD, RHCP. WT for a sub as well as Alice Cooper. Limp Bizkit, Placebo, Papa Roach just off the head. Maybe Frank T although most likely Reading.

Rammstein 
KoRn 
Motörhead 
Trivium
Coheed and Cambria 

Bullet For My Valentine 
Skindred

Black Sabbath 
Deftones
Megadeth 
Slayer 
While She Sleeps 

Volbeat
Dropkick Murphys

Iron Maiden 
Nightwish
Disturbed
The Darkness
Halestorm

All Time Low 
Of Mice & Men

I think that Sunday would be a day ticket, given that ATL would probably finish before Maiden too like ES did. Other two days are awful. Dropkicks subbing 2nd?

I'm guessing by this point, Copping has a 3 6 sided die with "Slipknot / Metallica / Maiden / Sabbath / Rammstein / Linkin Park" to choose headliners, and then shuffles Kerrang Radio for the subs and chooses the first 6. 

Fucking diabolical.

LP as well as Metallica really wouldn't be a shock next year.

Impossible to deny it's bereft of imagination but the problem is with the majority (tho certainly not all peeps) only digging their wallets out for those sort of mega headliners. Download tried something different last couple of years and didn't set the world alight, and people instead opted for the likes of Graspop, Sonisphere and Hellfest and stuff that did have those headliners. Plus Sonisphere would have such an in if Download mixed it up and they could get two or three of those headliners next year, and you'd be praising it like hell. :P

Undercard is kinda weak/uninspired but there doesn't seem to be many suitable acts doing the June fests that could dress it up considerably - certainly nothing like the acts doing the rounds last year. All in all, it's a niche market and it has to play into it to make money.

Most of these issues, as far as I'm concerned, are ones that the festival brings upon itself - or even sets itself up to revel in.

Andy Copping is a tastemaker. Unfortunately. His festival isn't the reflection of what people are listening to, it's meant to be a torch to show people what's out there. The longer people excuse his bereft lack of aspiration the longer it'll go unfixed.