Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I know nothing of this venue, but that's a general shortage of this kind of venue all over the uk 

I see Soulwax have been announced for Pukkelpop, maybe they'll play as Soulwax instead of 2manydjs this year

Trocadero is currently just a grotty arcade with a few shops dotted around but it's a really cool building that's being wasted.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

By the way, that Four Tet tweet is in response to Dance Tunnel closing down, which will be in August. Small venues are dropping off like flies... but new ones *are* popping up. The Pickle Factory is excellent, Shapes is shite, Rye Wax is becoming more prolific, DIY Space is great... 

Never been to any of those but they're on the list.

What's Dance Tunnel like? Probably won't get a chance to go there before Glastonbury but might try and fit it in before it goes.

2 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Never been to any of those but they're on the list.

What's Dance Tunnel like? Probably won't get a chance to go there before Glastonbury but might try and fit it in before it goes.

Ehh depends on the night, either it'll be half sold out and amazing, or half sold out and shit, or fully rammed and pretty difficult. Sound is really good tho. One of those places where the crowd can really make it.

Make it down to Pickle Factory if you can - ran by Oval Space and it's just over the road. Rye Wax is a recrord store underneath Bussey Building in Peckham and you can get in there on some particularly big nights. They run some good free stuff from sort of 7-11pm in the week as well - things like SIREN (their description of themselves: "SIREN: a female collective focused on forward thinking movements in dance music. no bullshit, just dancing. ") 

10 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Make it down to Pickle Factory if you can - ran by Oval Space and it's just over the road.

Second the Pickle Factory. Would be getting myself down to Prins Thomas there on Friday if I didn't have (shitty family) plans I can't get out of. 

4 minutes ago, OBface said:

Second the Pickle Factory. Would be getting myself down to Prins Thomas there on Friday if I didn't have (shitty family) plans I can't get out of. 

DJ Sotofett on the 7th May will be amazing. Right in the middle of exam time for me, but it'll be soooo good. I know what I'm like...

11 minutes ago, Tuna said:

DJ Sotofett on the 7th May will be amazing. Right in the middle of exam time for me, but it'll be soooo good. I know what I'm like...

Oh I know. Trying (and failing) to save myself until June as had a big start to the year. Must. Do. Better. 

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My favourite techno tune of the moment, could be up Ben's street this one:

Has anyone ever seen ANNA? I like quite a few remixes, never heard a set

I could only enjoy, what, 4-5 hours of this sort of stuff, Fuzz!

Beautiful, old style, 'simple' techno. Lovely looping pulses, enough variation on the hi-hat to keep each section fresh, predictable little drops that you know are coming, but enjoy them never the less.

Yes, bring it.

:)

Ben

Edit: and not a shitty, entirely superfluous vocal sample to ruin it, either!

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

@bennyhana22 - glad you like. Im about to listen to Floating Points on your recommendation (after the match).  I have heard snippets and the odd tune, but never a full album, I will report back....

fingers crossed!

Anyone here like Adult Jazz? I bloody love them (Gist Is was my record of 2014). Not strictly electronica but (a) the new song - and allegedly new mini-LP - are much more electronic and (b) I wondered if the discerning folks of this lovely thread like 'em...?

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It'll come with the area-announcements I guess, Mez.

Certainly when the Glade/SH/SEC ones drop we'll all be looking out!

Ben

The Glade is definitely one I'm looking out for, seeing as they've gone an booked Carl Cox im optimistic that'll set the tone for things to come 

Oh, and Arcadia!! 

28 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

The Glade is definitely one I'm looking out for, seeing as they've gone an booked Carl Cox im optimistic that'll set the tone for things to come 

Oh, and Arcadia!! 

OMG - how could I forget the spider? The scene of a truly fantastic Friday night for me last year...!

Ben

9 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

John Talabot DJing at Bennicassim, that would be awesome somewhere at glasto

Could imagine him being booked for The Beat Hotel, would be a welcome addition at that 

22 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

OMG - how could I forget the spider? The scene of a truly fantastic Friday night for me last year...!

Ben

You're right Ben, let's hope there's some magic to be had this year at the big spider 

Floating Points.... I did really enjoy it.  Quite different to what I usually listen to, but I enjoyed it. The production is sharp, the synths are clear and the kind of sounds I enjoy. It's quite a "dreamy - lose yourself in the music" album. It's something I can imagine really enjoying as a warm up for whats to come. (Possibly before Sigur Ros?)

It doesn't quite kick in for me though. I was just hoping something a little darker or heavier would happen, even if only for a tune, but it is definitely an album I will be revisiting again soon.

Highlight - Silhouettes (I,II,III), which is fantastic. 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which bit? It means The Avalanches are finally, finally active again and he hopes they will play Glastonbury. I'll just settle for a new album.

It's like Radiohead all over again!

I think perhaps that may have just wooshed over you ;)

There was always a story of a version of the Avalanches album that had many more samples in than the released version, but which never came out due to clearance issues. It supposedly lives online somewhere. 

I wonder if anybody knows?