Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

I reckon with Eric Prydz being in Cardiff on the Saturday there is a chance he does Levels or something over the weekend.

Theres word he’s on arcadia i think

—-

booked my first bangface yesterday! looking forward to it although kind of sad its not in that pontins anymore bit worried as i’m basically a guinea pig for the new butlins venue (worried it could be full of security, bad vibe etc). Butlins far nearer at least!

anyone got good stories??

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Theres word he’s on arcadia i think

—-

booked my first bangface yesterday! looking forward to it although kind of sad its not in that pontins anymore bit worried as i’m basically a guinea pig for the new butlins venue (worried it could be full of security, bad vibe etc). Butlins far nearer at least!

anyone got good stories??

Ah yeah that's makes sense.

I know nothing about bangface, this may be for someone else.

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hmmm. It's a funny old place, for me. I went to the Beat Hotel only a couple of times, in the daytime, and it was...odd. I told myself that it's just not for me and I wouldn't be bothering it again. 

Then, in 2022, I left my entire gang watching McCartney as I legged it to San Remo to make sure I was there for the start of Jon Hopkins. I'm glad I went. Because it confirmed for me beyond all possible doubt that I will never go in there again!! 

1. It's too light, at night. I don't know what kind of vibe they're trying to create in there, but it's not the sort of club atmosphere that this raver likes. 
2. The people were farkin' horrible! The vast majority did not seem to be there to dance, but were just there to be somewhere. It was the most discourteous crowd I've ever been in, with people turning around and whacking you with their backpacks, with zero awareness or consideration for anyone around them. There was SO much talking, you could barely hear JH over the mediocre sound system. 

As @Supernintendo Chalmers suggested, defo the wrong type/quality of drugs in there! 

I'm sure it's more a me issue than necessarily the place, but twice bitten, twice shy for me. Saying all of that, I quite like all the people crowded on the structure outside as I walk to and from Woodsies in the daytime! 

Ben

Cheers! That's disappointing, they had an amazing lineup the last two years so had it in my head it's somewhere I'd go regularly enough. There and Silver Hayes seem like they'd appeal to me more in terms of lineup than anywhere in the SEC but I'm sure I'll give a night or two in both a go! 

16 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

Cheers! That's disappointing, they had an amazing lineup the last two years so had it in my head it's somewhere I'd go regularly enough. There and Silver Hayes seem like they'd appeal to me more in terms of lineup than anywhere in the SEC but I'm sure I'll give a night or two in both a go! 

Hey, you mustn't just take my thoughts as gospel! You should go and experience it too. I agree re: line-up. On the face of it they've often had me written all over them, but then the venue gets in the way for me. I mean, Jon Hopkins followed by Daniel Avery should have been stellar for me! 

As said, wait until the line-up drop and then get yourself up there. You might love it 😆

Ben

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LeFreak said:

😄 Brilliant. Or at least it would be brilliant if it wasn't delivering news I didn't want to get. Was banking on this being a stage I'd spend a lot of time at but not sure I'll fit in by the sounds of the crowd.

I would definitely give it a go. It’s just a few people who hang outside. By all accounts inside it’s great. Also bear in mind that even somewhere like this is still better than anywhere else in the uk on a weekend night out. It’s Glastonbury still. Our descriptions are exaggerated and more as an outsider walking past. I’ve heard loads of tales of great moments from various DJs here. Something else to consider is nearly all the DJs playing here aren’t booked just to play here. They will be playing elsewhere at the festival and usually this is a second extra set they play. E.g Job Jobse will play here 3am Monday morning but he also played at least 2 other places across the weekend. 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Like 1

Came here from the 'whats changed in 10 years' thread where everyone seems to be arguing about all the night stuff sounding the same. I haven't been in five years so I'm not in a place to comment, but as someone who isn't well informed on all the sub genres of sub genres in electronic music and just listening to playlists and the likes there's a lot that I would just call house/techno (not worlds apart in my mind) and dnb.

I can get behind drum and bass but house and tencho I get bored of in about 20 minutes. What I really get behind is what I just throw under the umbrella of 'glitch hop'. Just funky and off beat stuff with a bit of bass and maybe some saxophone or trumpet thrown in there. My pals and I used to just wander around Shangri La because 'there will be glitch hop somewhere'

Either that or full live bands just playing danceable music, something with a relentless beat or something that just mixes up the genre constantly.

Hoping you folks can point me toward something I can check out? Previous years I've had a blast seeing The Correspondents, My Baby, Ghetto Funk All Stars, A Skillz, Opiuo, Dat Brass, Koan Sound.

Edited by nowyouregideon

20 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm Team @GrumpyRaver!

I think Daniel Avery is the only must-see for me, though (a) I'd forego that if he was playing somewhere else and (b) if Effy gets a good slot then she could be really good through the Glade Dome rig. 

Ben

Did you see Effy in the Temple last year? Best set of the weekend for me

Missed that one as was going from the Brothers at Arcadia then to Patient on at IIcon to to VTSS in the Temple... great night..planned down to this thread..thanks guys..someone in the techno know how do the same again this year..please...avoiding DnB if possible! Any Techno at the Temple on Thurs, sat, sun this year¿????? Love the venue even if nearly falling off the platforms nearly all of the time!

1 hour ago, Twiggy553 said:

Did you see Effy in the Temple last year? Best set of the weekend for me

I was going to say no! But, yes, I did! I took my pal after we'd seen Fever Ray on Park. He'd never been in the Temple before, and he bloody loved it! I did Effy > Liberators > SPFDJ and that was quite the run.

Ben

28 minutes ago, Smozmorris said:

Missed that one as was going from the Brothers at Arcadia then to Patient on at IIcon to to VTSS in the Temple... great night..planned down to this thread..thanks guys..someone in the techno know how do the same again this year..please...avoiding DnB if possible! Any Techno at the Temple on Thurs, sat, sun this year¿????? Love the venue even if nearly falling off the platforms nearly all of the time!

Don't worry, there will be all manner (probably too many!) of opinions and advice regarding the various genres and the relative merits of clashing sets once the dance areas have dropped their line-ups.

Ben

The best advice, for any newcomers, is to simply give it a go.

Glastonbury is so amazing that if it’s not your bag, there will be a myriad of other options available to you. 

Unrelated but I’m currently watching an Eric Prydz set from Ultra Miami, if he is playing Arcadia as has been rumoured, it will be INSANE. 

• Like 1

Yes I hope so I'm out of the game 351 times of the year but want to give it as much as possible of the 5 days and quality counts and you guys really help! Your shouts on Ki/ki last year set me up!!! Banging!!! Even through my gang were half Dutch..and they were there already!!

4 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I was going to say no! But, yes, I did! I took my pal after we'd seen Fever Ray on Park. He'd never been in the Temple before, and he bloody loved it! I did Effy > Liberators > SPFDJ and that was quite the run.

Ben

I did exactly the same 😂 

52 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Orbital were excellent last night. It got me wondering, as their Park set is probably going to be a short set, what are the chances of them doing a 2nd live set on one of the dance areas?

I’d bloody love it if they did. 
The green album is probably my least favourite Orbital album, still good but not up there with the rest. I was very excited when they announced they would be doing brown as well, but still not prepared for how awesome they were in Southampton. Probably the best I’ve seen them, and green sounded amazing live. 

1 hour ago, Metal Monkey said:

I’d bloody love it if they did. 
The green album is probably my least favourite Orbital album, still good but not up there with the rest. I was very excited when they announced they would be doing brown as well, but still not prepared for how awesome they were in Southampton. Probably the best I’ve seen them, and green sounded amazing live. 

I don't think it's my least favourite, but it's far from my favourite. You're right that the tracks sounded amazing live! I'm not sure it was the venue's sound or Orbital's crew but the sound was spot on, you could hear everything in detail, I ssw Leftfield last year and it was miles better than that.

Edited by Johnnyseven

4 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I don't think it's my least favourite, but it's far from my favourite. You're right that the tracks sounded amazing live! I'm not sure it was the venue's sound or Orbital's crew but the sound was spot on, you could hear everything in detail, I ssw Leftfield last year and it was miles better than that.

Actually it’s probably not my least favourite either, just sounds a little dated compared to brown. 
The sound in Southampton was great too, which is rare for that venue. Visuals were amazing too and crowd was really up for it. 

42 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

Actually it’s probably not my least favourite either, just sounds a little dated compared to brown. 
The sound in Southampton was great too, which is rare for that venue. Visuals were amazing too and crowd was really up for it. 

Brown is another level to Green for sure, that run from Lush through to Walk Now is phenomenal.

18 hours ago, nikkic said:

The best advice, for any newcomers, is to simply give it a go.

Glastonbury is so amazing that if it’s not your bag, there will be a myriad of other options available to you. 

Unrelated but I’m currently watching an Eric Prydz set from Ultra Miami, if he is playing Arcadia as has been rumoured, it will be INSANE. 

worth saying but - if he plays Arcadia it will be nothing like that set

17 minutes ago, gfa said:

worth saying but - if he plays Arcadia it will be nothing like that set

Prydz on Arcadia would be fun, but it's like seeing him at 75% without the accompanying visuals...

...unless my vision of the Arcadia aircraft hangar complete with helicopter DJ booth inside comes to fruition...

• Like 1

I've been going to Glasto since 2014 and noticed that there is never any Trance represented (or very little as far as I can tell anyway, but admittedly I may not recognise the names of up and coming artists). Having grown up in that late 90s early 2000s golden era and attending  Godskitchen/Gatecrasher etc I've always hoped that one of the areas would cater for some Trance. Was it ever represented and do we think it ever will be? Surely a good old classics set would go down a treat in somewhere like Glade dome or maybe Lonely Hearts Club. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I've been going to Glasto since 2014 and noticed that there is never any Trance represented (or very little as far as I can tell anyway, but admittedly I may not recognise the names of up and coming artists). Having grown up in that late 90s early 2000s golden era and attending  Godskitchen/Gatecrasher etc I've always hoped that one of the areas would cater for some Trance. Was it ever represented and do we think it ever will be? Surely a good old classics set would go down a treat in somewhere like Glade dome or maybe Lonely Hearts Club. 

I would also love this too!!!!

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

There is almost no trance on site, sadly. As I've wanged on about already, this year appears to mark the death of the traditional, and hugely popular, night of psytrance at the Glade (formerly Glade Lounge, more recently the Dome). In terms of more 'normal' trance, I've never been aware of any conspicuous programming of trance. The slight exception would be KI/KI who played a pretty (tech)trance set on The Levels last year (and it was mega!). 

But, I'm afraid, for whatever reasons, GFL and/or the area curators just don't see trance as a genre that they want to represent. 

Do you like DnB? If yes, you'll be like a pig in sh*t! 

😆

Ben