Noel Gallagher

Mud Dweller

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with all the hype Bowie had with his new album he still couldn't achieve first week sales that matched Noel Gallaghers album. Or even the latest Oasis compilation for that matter! And that only came 4 years after their previous compilation and had no new material! Considering the average age of David Bowie fans will likely be higher than Oasis you could even make an argument that they were more inclined to buy a physical format than to stream or illegally download. Therefore not only would have Noel sold more but more people would have actually heard the album.

Oasis in the Uk are a complete different level to Bowie. They played 10 + stadium dates in 09. That was after no hype, a mediocre album and only 8 months after an arena tour which sold out straight away. A reunion with all the hype would take in anywhere from 12-16 stadiums I reckon. U2 did about 4 stadiums their last tour. Coldplay the same. I can't believe people are saying that Bowie would sell 3/4 times the amount that those bands would. Huge bands but still not on Oasis' level in the UK.

Even with all the hype Bowie had with his new album he still couldn't achieve first week sales that matched Noel Gallaghers album. Or even the latest Oasis compilation for that matter! And that only came 4 years after their previous compilation and had no new material! Considering the average age of David Bowie fans will likely be higher than Oasis you could even make an argument that they were more inclined to buy a physical format than to stream or illegally download. Therefore not only would have Noel sold more but more people would have actually heard the album.

Oasis in the Uk are a complete different level to Bowie. They played 10 + stadium dates in 09. That was after no hype, a mediocre album and only 8 months after an arena tour which sold out straight away. A reunion with all the hype would take in anywhere from 12-16 stadiums I reckon. U2 did about 4 stadiums their last tour. Coldplay the same. I can't believe people are saying that Bowie would sell 3/4 times the amount that those bands would. Huge bands but still not on Oasis' level in the UK.

I think people actually forget how big Oasis actually were. I am 35 now and they are the biggest British band of my lifetime. Although Take That may push them close.

David Bowie is, arguably, the single most important and popular recording artist that this country has ever produced and there are people on this thread appearing to say he has less clout than Noel Gallagher's HighFlying fucking Birds?

Are you lot on crack?

David Bowie is, arguably, the single most important and popular recording artist that this country has ever produced and there are people on this thread appearing to say he has less clout than Noel Gallagher's HighFlying fucking Birds?

Are you lot on crack?

Oasis and take that are the biggest bands the UK has ever produced apparently. Staggering stuff.

Edited by russycarps

The Smiths are a strange one as they are a phenomenon like no other. They are the only musicians I know of who individually sell out far bigger venues than the band that made them famous. People are talking about Morrisey possibly headlining/subbing pyramid or headlining the other stage. The Smiths used to play civic centres. Morrisey goes round the world playing arenas.

You look at all the big bands from the Smiths hey day (Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Human League, U2, New Order, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode, The Cure and so on) They were all far bigger and popular than the Smiths. Yet Morrisey on his own goes round the world selling out venues bigger than most of them. Only U2 and Depeche Mode would probably outsell him world wide and he would be playing the same venues as Depeche Mode in the UK.

The Cure were bigger than The Smiths worldwide in the 80s but certainly not in the UK, just look a look at each bands chart success during that mid-80s period. At that time The Smiths were far bigger here than The Cure. Both bands were playing mid-size venues and smaller arenas although The Cure were beginning to play larger venues by the time The Smiths had finished touring in 86. This was mostly due to the fact that there were far less arenas around than there are today.

Also, today The Cure are about the same size as Morrissey if not a bit bigger. I doubt Morrissey could pull off headline shows at Reading and Leeds for example and I doubt he would headline Glastonbury as he has recently could only sub-headline. Morrissey still generally plays mid-size gigs in the UK and smaller venues than The Cure do in the U.S.

Oasis and take that are the biggest bands the UK has ever produced apparently. Staggering stuff.

Paul McCartney has sold more than any artist mentioned on this thread but on his last large outdoor gig in the UK in 2010 I don't think he even sold it out. Hyde Park for Hard Rock Calling. I picked up 2 tickets for his arena show at the MEN in Manchester in 2011 for half price on eBay a couple of weeks beforehand. I'm amazed at people believing that artists can sell out multiple stadiums in the UK with ease.

Doesn't matter how many records they sold 40 years ago and how big they were then. We're on about the present day and Oasis at the moment would be a bigger draw than David Bowie. In the UK that is.

The Cure were bigger than The Smiths worldwide in the 80s but certainly not in the UK, just look a look at each bands chart success during that mid-80s period. At that time The Smiths were far bigger here than The Cure. Both bands were playing mid-size venues and smaller arenas although The Cure were beginning to play larger venues by the time The Smiths had finished touring in 86. This was mostly due to the fact that there were far less arenas around than there are today.

Also, today The Cure are about the same size as Morrissey if not a bit bigger. I doubt Morrissey could pull off headline shows at Reading and Leeds for example and I doubt he would headline Glastonbury as he has recently could only sub-headline. Morrissey still generally plays mid-size gigs in the UK and smaller venues than The Cure do in the U.S.

Do you think Robert Smith would play venues as big as Morrisey does?

David Bowie has never sold the numbers in the Uk for an album that Oasis have. He has also never got anywhere near the figures for live gigs that Oasis did. In the UK, Oasis were far bigger than Bowie ever was and the statistics back that up.

Noel Gallaghers new album will also outsell Bowies in the UK.

Sold out whilst entering card details. Again. Really hope he plays the festival now.

Hope you see this in time..... https://secure.eventim.co.uk/Tickets-noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-manchester.html?affiliate=TTI&doc=artistPages%2Ftickets&fun=artist&action=tickets&key=1276007%244335117&jumpIn=yTix&kuid=468332

Got mine from there

Got mine on AXS, I first tried Ticketmaster, standing all sold out at 9:01, and then See Tickets, also sold out of standing by 9:02, so then thought I'd give AXS a try and got them by 9:05. For both Ticketmaster and See Tickets I was logged in ready, got very annoyed! Fairly calm now though.