Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

After roughly seven thousand listens I'm liking this a lot more. Still don't think it's quite up to his previous standards but there are some great great songs here. Currently digging Love. Even if it is a soppy RnB ballad it's a great one. 

Wonder if either of this albums guests will be joining him for his Coachella set tomorrow - half expecting Bono to show up and then for U2 to headline next year what with them voicing an interest in doing festivals again. 

25 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

A guy from TDE management has 'confirmed' a 2nd album -

In the comments there he replies to someone asking if there is another album tomorrow.

I'm still very sceptical but hopeful :lol::lol:

Also huge if true, although could easily just be fucking with him considering this second album thing has already become memeworthy news.

If the second album has a trap flute track then I'm done

Basically the distinguishing features of great rap albums in 2017 - at least three of: 

An all caps album title

A flute bangers

A Rihanna duet

A back to back album releases

A 2 Chainz guest spot

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

One clear advantage DAMN. has on TPAB is that you can pick a song out to vibe to without feeling like you're coming in midway thru the movie.

Yep, and yet there are still leitmotifs running through it for those who do want to spend an hour sitting down and properly tuning in ... it's a 'something for everyone' record, apart from the lack of a crowd-pleasing banger or two on a level with M.A.A.D City/Backstreet Fresstyle/i/King Kunta, but maybe that's not such a bad thing anyway

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

After roughly seven thousand listens I'm liking this a lot more. Still don't think it's quite up to his previous standards but there are some great great songs here. Currently digging Love. Even if it is a soppy RnB ballad it's a great one. 

Wonder if either of this albums guests will be joining him for his Coachella set tomorrow - half expecting Bono to show up and then for U2 to headline next year what with them voicing an interest in doing festivals again. 

Absolutely agree with that. It's so cheese but somehow manages to work and not feel out of place.

The bloody edgelords in Clas Olsen were banging this in full when I went in buying plug adapters, big respect.

A second album would obv be nice, but I don't personally believe it, nor do I need it. DAMN. has exceeded my expectations and I'm just enjoying spending my BH weekend with it. Goes without saying that this is the AotY so far, I can't wait to see what he does at Coachella.

Kenny, proper UK tour soon mate ye?

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The bloody edgelords in Clas Olsen were banging this in full when I went in buying plug adapters, big respect.

A second album would obv be nice, but I don't personally believe it, nor do I need it. DAMN. has exceeded my expectations and I'm just enjoying spending my BH weekend with it. Goes without saying that this is the AotY so far, I can't wait to see what he does at Coachella.

Kenny, proper UK tour soon mate ye?

naah, mount eerie still AotY - thats some next level emotional shit

I've basically been playing through his albums over the last 24 hours and DAMN. definitely holds it own. It's not up there with TPAB for me but I dunno if I could handle another album that good. If he'd managed it I'd go as far as to say he'd be one of the most important artists of all time, as it stands he's on the way there but not quite there yet. If he drops another album tomorrow that could all change (I'm pretty skeptical of that though, and as others have said I don't need it. Nay, I don't deserve it)

40 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I've basically been playing through his albums over the last 24 hours and DAMN. definitely holds it own. It's not up there with TPAB for me but I dunno if I could handle another album that good. If he'd managed it I'd go as far as to say he'd be one of the most important artists of all time, as it stands he's on the way there but not quite there yet. If he drops another album tomorrow that could all change (I'm pretty skeptical of that though, and as others have said I don't need it. Nay, I don't deserve it)

I think TPAB has already been canonised as The Album of its generation, and has a strong future in bothering sales-grabbing Best Of All Time lists

Man this album just gets better by the day. Wonder if they'll wait for the Bizarre thing to get him to headline to avoid the 'we only want rock at our Glastonbury' morons coming out again.

Looks like we're not getting a new album today anyway, looking forward to the coachella set though.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think TPAB has already been canonised as The Album of its generation, and has a strong future in bothering sales-grabbing Best Of All Time lists

The fact I would argue strongly that Good Kid is actually The Album of its generation, not Butterfly, speaks to the ridiculous level that the guy is operating at.

After a couple of listens it really is evident that no one else is currently operating on the same level as Kendrick. The album drops off a little in the middle in my opinion but that's not to say those tracks are bad.

DNA, XXX, DUCKWORTH, YAH, ELEMENT and FEAR are the standouts for me at the moment. Don't care for GOD and LOYALTY much but it's funny to think that they'd be standout tracks on most other albums.

I don't think it's quite on the level of good kid and TPAB but he's definitely delivered as its an incredible record, album of the year for me so far!

• Upvote 1

Just had my 2nd play through of it and just think it's incredible. 

His body of work if you include the section 80 stuff is just so strong, if you haven't give  the 80 tracks a go please do, you won't be disappointed. 

Such a change of pace from TPAB and I'm glad, that was a once in a lifetime record and needs to be left alone as itself with the jazz influences and the bold statement it has made, its def a time stamp album and should be one of a kind.

This album shows Kendrick can take it back to the beats and I just love how he can change the delivery and pacing of his flow at will and he's still got a lot to say 

Pleasantly surprised by the U2 track and how he can actually Drake it up better than Drake can !

Cant wait to watch his Coachella headline set and he has to headline in 2019 on his Glasto debut.

Ive heard people say he's not well known enough to the casuals to headline but if he drops the U2 and Rihanna tracks as singles I'm sure he'll grab people's attention who've never heard of him before