Saturday - worst headliners ever?

Guest JonnyG

The great thing about Glastonbury is that if you don't like one headliner, there's always another to get excited about. For me that's been true...until this year's Saturday line-up. Oh dear, oh dear.

Metallica. Yup, lots of people love them. I stopped worshipping at the altar of "look at me move my fingers up the fretboard very fast" around the late '70s and, having checked them out, they aren't going to have me singing along to their super-catchy choruses anytime soon.

Jake Bugg. Known for a pretty decent first record and a dismal phoned-in performance on the Pyramid stage last time he played. Two records of decent Dylan copies do not make a headliner.

Bryan Ferry. Well, if he plays lots of Roxy stuff, possibly. But if, as is more than possible, we get lounge lizard versions of standards from the 1940's, I'll be snoozing somewhere else.

Still, the John Peel stage never lets me down. Oh. MGMT. A pretty good first record followed by two self-indulgent and virtually unlistenable career-suicides. I can't sit through the meanderings for an hour or more just to hear Kids again.

Dexys? Best of the bunch by a mile, but they don't seem inclined to play many songs that people actually know.

Mogwai. A sacred cow to many, I know. quiet, LOUD, quiet, LOUD, quiet, LOUD, LOUD. Proclaim yourselves geniuses. Repeat ad infinitum. Not for me, I'm afraid.

A fair amount of tongue shoved deep into cheek here, but for the first time ever I am utterly underwhelmed by the choice and, more importantly, the quality of headliners chosen to headline the main day of possible the world's most prestigious festival. They are all artists well past their peak, still developing or very very niche.

I wonder if Glastonbury is starting to lose its unique allure for the artists?

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

JonnyG

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's happened before, for me- I think in 2011 and 2008. One of those years I pottered about and saw bits of Saturday headliners, and one year I went to the SE corner instead. There's always other stuff to do, but it's still disappointing when you don't have a Saturday headliner to look forward to.

It's happened before, for me- I think in 2011 and 2008. One of those years I pottered about and saw bits of Saturday headliners, and one year I went to the SE corner instead. There's always other stuff to do, but it's still disappointing when you don't have a Saturday headliner to look forward to.

Edited by ICGenie

It's all a matter of personal taste really, Mogwai appeal, Bryan Ferry plays plenty of Roxy stuff, Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip on leftfield, Metallica could be an 'event' - some of the best things I've seen at Glasto have been the result of aimlessly meandering about so there's nothing to say Saturday won't be the best night you'll have at the fest.

Jake Bugg is an odd choice but otherwise it's not bad IMO.

I agree on this one - none of the headliners particularly grabbed me. And to be honest, it's the same for the Friday.

However - somehow, I've never made to Shangri-La, or Arcadia, so I'm planning to use both nights to sample those delights.

The great thing about Glastonbury is that if you don't like one headliner, there's always another to get excited about. For me that's been true...until this year's Saturday line-up. Oh dear, oh dear.

Metallica. Yup, lots of people love them. I stopped worshipping at the altar of "look at me move my fingers up the fretboard very fast" around the late '70s and, having checked them out, they aren't going to have me singing along to their super-catchy choruses anytime soon.

Jake Bugg. Known for a pretty decent first record and a dismal phoned-in performance on the Pyramid stage last time he played. Two records of decent Dylan copies do not make a headliner.

Bryan Ferry. Well, if he plays lots of Roxy stuff, possibly. But if, as is more than possible, we get lounge lizard versions of standards from the 1940's, I'll be snoozing somewhere else.

Still, the John Peel stage never lets me down. Oh. MGMT. A pretty good first record followed by two self-indulgent and virtually unlistenable career-suicides. I can't sit through the meanderings for an hour or more just to hear Kids again.

Dexys? Best of the bunch by a mile, but they don't seem inclined to play many songs that people actually know.

Mogwai. A sacred cow to many, I know. quiet, LOUD, quiet, LOUD, quiet, LOUD, LOUD. Proclaim yourselves geniuses. Repeat ad infinitum. Not for me, I'm afraid.

A fair amount of tongue shoved deep into cheek here, but for the first time ever I am utterly underwhelmed by the choice and, more importantly, the quality of headliners chosen to headline the main day of possible the world's most prestigious festival. They are all artists well past their peak, still developing or very very niche.

I wonder if Glastonbury is starting to lose its unique allure for the artists?

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

JonnyG

I've read conflicting info on this but if Alabama 3 are playing a Saturday headline slot then that's my minor first world problem solved.

Failing that I quite fancy heading up to the Glastonbury sign and spend a couple of hours just watching the whole site at its peak of activity.

Headliners aren't great for me this year but the line up has the most depth that I've ever seen.

Saturdays looking great to me, so I'm not complaining. But isn't it possible for some things to move around still surely? Take last years poster: http://www.m-magazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Glastonbury-flyer-2013.jpg

Bobby Womack appeared on Sunday despite The Weeknd being listed.

And all 3 Park headliners swapped places.

Someone might be able to tell me if there's others, but that's all I can recall.

Edited by Fragile Battleship

Personally I was finding the Sunday headliners much more underwhelming. Lots of downtempo stuff on the main stages (massive attack, london grammar, james blake), and dont give a crap about kasabian or disclosure. I prefer a bit of a big finish on the sunday night, sunday last year was the same.

Then I spotted that anti-flag are on the leftfield! Theres always something to see or do, even if you haven't spotted in yet.

Yes, it is all about personal taste, but mine is usually pretty broad, which is why I was startled to find not one name that even piqued my curiousity.

A wander around is always a good thing - to be honest, it's my favourite part of the festival anyway.

I was more curious to see other people's views - and thank you all for not flaming me!

Oh - and I missed Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip on the poster. I now know where I'll be Saturday headliner time! Thanks.

JonnyG

hahaha. Great opening post. Utterly and completely wrong, total cobblers, but a great post.

Dexys. The most recent album is the best thing they've ever done, by a country mile. It's a fantastic work nd great to see that they're not resting on past laurels and still making cracking music. However, if you are going to be one of those witless dullards who goes along just to bellow for 'Come on Eileen' at every opportunity, then don't worry, they will close with it.

MGMT. Couldn't disagree more. They're a band who take risks, experiment and come back with something gold. The second and third album absolutely piss on that firat one. Listen to 'Introspection' off the newest, or 'siberian brakes' off the one before. Beautiful things and worth a million 'Kids'. Unlistenable? get outta here.

Mogwai. Inspired booking. Great band, atmospheric, transcendental, stuff that hits you both in the gut and in the mind. Might not be your cup of tea, but the loud quiet loud thng is just way off.

Mind the rest of your post is pretty much spot on, I got to say :)

Agree on Dexys last album - flipping excellent.

Headliner wise - there are thousands of bands/acts out there...... one time you will like loads another time you might not.

I think this year the spread of acts is brilliant and strength in depth. I have looked at the 2013 clash finder............... and did not have any clashes at all. I fact much of Sunday was a bit empty...... but if we had tickets we would still have enjoyed it.

Personally I was finding the Sunday headliners much more underwhelming. Lots of downtempo stuff on the main stages (massive attack, london grammar, james blake), and dont give a crap about kasabian or disclosure. I prefer a bit of a big finish on the sunday night, sunday last year was the same.

Then I spotted that anti-flag are on the leftfield! Theres always something to see or do, even if you haven't spotted in yet.

All the acts I want to see are pretty much loaded for the Friday (some nasty clashes predicted for me). Quite happy to have the rest of the weekend to explore, think I'd be more bothered if I had a full schedule of must see bands and no time away from the main stages.