headliners in years to come ?

cidy

this years supposedly headliners are pretty underwheliming in my opinion

arcade fire ok`ish

kasabian not headlining material

prince if it comes off would be a bit special for some .

but its the future years i think festivals in general will struggle ,surely people will get bored of killers ,coldplay .arctic monkeys foo fighters etc as they seem to be the only bands that will around for a few more years that would qualify as headliners at the moment the likes of led zep and pink floyd seem destined to retire from the live scene which is no bad thing .

i really cant see any bands being contenders at the moment ,all the talk surrounds old timers as bands /artists people want to see are led zep, floyd bowie , mcartney ,,madonna too name a few.

i`ve seen a few at glasto ,mcartney who i enjoyed but dont think he should do it again as his voice is shot ,bowie in 2000 was legendary he wouldnt top that if he tried.

the stones surprised me too how good they were but we know they were a one off as bowie and macartney should be" yes weve played glasto been there done that thats it "

wheres the next band people will really talk about? i cant think of any at the moment who will headline future festivals ,music has become a bit stale in last few years , there are some great bands about at the moment who are good live but will never headline as they are not mainstream enough .

im the wrong side of 50 so probably out of touch with the norm ,i like jim jones revue, crowns, beans on toast ,skinnylister to to name a few .

would love the pogues to play but i know that will never happen and am quite happy to see these artists at festivals and ignore the headliners if they clashed.

if people get orgasmic about the likes of floyd .led zep for e.g headlining it says a lot about the the future of festivals in my opinion.

headliners are not the be all and all for glastonbury but for other big festivals it could be a problem in a few years time

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont like your statement "arcade fire ok`ish"

kasabian 3 number one albums in a row and a possible 4th - headline all the festivals they play ( not a fan ) but they are headline material

but

Glastonbury 2016

QOTSA , the XX , Florence and the machine

Edited by monkey1989

I agree with Foals, they're one of the few newish UK bands that seem to generate a lot of love in America as well. I think Disclosure, Bastille and Jake Bugg could also potentially be future headliners if they continue to build on their current popularity. Its hard to judge though as music trends seem to move much faster than in the past, a new band could come out of nowhere and end up headlining after a couple of albums.

i dont like your statement "arcade fire ok`ish"

kasabian 3 number one albums in a row and a possible 4th - headline all the festivals they play ( not a fan ) but they are headline material

but

Glastonbury 2016

QOTSA , the XX , Florence and the machine

mmmm see what i mean

i

Edited by cidy

I think after another 1 or 2 good albums from Chase and Status and another few good ones, if they come, from Disclosure could lead them to follow in the footsteps of the Prodigy.

I think the prospects of future headliners is a bit less exciting because most of them will probably have already played in previous years on smaller stages so it's not like an incredible thing to see them that year like it has been with people like the stones and the who.

Florence and the Machine - Certainly will.

Bombay Bicycle Club - Need a big album though
Vampire Weekend - I would have said they were nailed on if their arena tour had sold better

The XX - Pretty sure they will

Still some big bands that haven't headlined
Depeche Mode
Foo Fighters
Daft Punk etc

I don't know why Foo Fighters haven't headlined yet - they've done every other festival buy haven't been to the farm since 1998. Maybe Grohl doesn't like it (in fact I'm sure he said something about smelly hippies once).

There's not many "big" acts left to play and if the music industry continues on the downturn there probably won't be any acts in ten years that are headline sized in the sense we're taking now. Everything's so throwaway now that some of the most popular bands can be forgotten in a couple of years. Anyway current bands who I think will headline at some point...

Foo Fighters

Biffy Clyro

Bastille (would need a huge second album though)

Florence

Rihanna

Fleetwood Mac

Noel Gallagher

Elbow

Pharrell

Queens of the Stone Age

Jack White

Calvin Harris

Fleetwood Mac being the only big rock "dinosaur" left touring who haven't played before - we're definitely running out of heritage acts so the Eavii are going to have a tough time making the Glastonbury lineup unique in the future.

there'll be no shortage of headliners - new acts will pop up overnight and be headlining after two albums like they have in the past (think Arctics, Killers, Mumfords), and there are a fare few acts that already seem poised to make the step up come their next albums (Foals, Florence etc)

as for heritage acts, there's definitely only maybe 5 or 6 years (if that) left of ones that haven't played the festival before before they run out - Fleetwood Mac, Depeche Mode, Prince, Led Zep, Daft Punk can possibly be included in there, probably a few more that i'm forgetting, so after they're all used up they'll either have to scale down a bit and go with the likes of Coldplay as the 'super' headliner, or hope that Bowie comes out of retirement for one last swing at it. but anybody with sense knows the festival does't NEED those headliners. they've been a luxury that we've all grown far too accustomed to

Edited by FloorFiller

Why will Pogues "never happen"? They headlined the 'world stage' at Sziget a couple of years ago

pretty sure i read eavis would never have them at the farm again ,

think they have mellowed a bit since then though apart from shane so you never know ,would love ta see em at west holts still a good live band as there last few gigs have proved

see they are in italy in may http://www.rockinidro.com/www/prevendite/ perhaps a warm up for glasto after all

Black Keys are a "Sex on Fire" away from becoming headliners. I'd also agree with Florence, she seems fairly popular. If you want to go really far forward I think Haim could follow the same trajectory as Flo in terms of mainstream popularity. Maybe Chase and Status? Biffy obviously and maybe Adele at some point.

Basically go and look at Reading lineups, check out the sub headliners who aren't old bands and those are your best bet ;) Reading seem fairly good getting popular bands on the up hence. why if you look at lineups from the 00's they tend to look stacked as they've had bands like Kings Of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers etc in sub positions before they hit the big time.