With prince out of the equation, who's left?

Guest GeoHall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica will get a small crowd. the only people saying otherwise are die-hard fans. whilst I think its a good move I just cant see people going to watch them and having their eyes opened to the experience. they appear to be a band that you need to invest in which I cant see people doing prior to going. people will just think too heavy and not bother.

Disagree completely. I've never listened to Metallica and am not a metal fan - but they've got the type of legendary status which I think will tempt people to head along out of interest. Far more so than AF (who I prefer but who I think only fans will go to see).

Either way, having Metallica up as a headliner would give this years poster a far big boost in public perception than Elbow or someone similar. Not that I particularly care, but it's nice to hear good publicity about your favourite festival :P

Disagree completely. I've never listened to Metallica and am not a metal fan - but they've got the type of legendary status which I think will tempt people to head along out of interest.

i think they'll be far more who are there just because they're the headliner and seeing the headliner is what it's all about to some people.

just something i thought may be of interest on the topic of that you all think that prince wouldn't play if he wasn't headlining because he's known to be a diva or whatever but i know someone that worked at the Manchester show and you all argued for ages on here about how the second show didn't sell out etc. and what it meant and I can tell you that Prince didn't care how many people were there he just wanted to play and it was the venue that had to say sorry we can't do this, not the other way around. so he may accept lower than headlining if he was willing to play for hours to just like 30 people. However he did ask for purple silk in his dressing room ha.

I would love it if they never announced the Saturday headliner, even when at the festival.

Imagine it, the pyramid draws it's biggest even crowd as people speculate whether it's a Prince/Metallica/Daft Punk/Kate Bush super group. The lights go down. Big countdown as the crowd cheers.

Kasabian walk on stage and announce they're headlining both Saturday and Sunday.

Neil, at this point is it a case that Metallica are def playing, from what your sources are saying, and that its just their placing on the lineup thats up in the air.

nope - that was me commenting on the hypothetical situation of them headlining. In hindsight I'd have used different words so that it didn't look like me saying they were definitely headlining.

At this moment in time I still think they'll be the headliner, I just don't know for sure.

Edited by eFestivals

Metallica will get a small crowd. the only people saying otherwise are die-hard fans. whilst I think its a good move I just cant see people going to watch them and having their eyes opened to the experience. they appear to be a band that you need to invest in which I cant see people doing prior to going. people will just think too heavy and not bother.

Don't know how people think Metallica won't draw a big crowd. I'm a metal fan but none if my Glastonbury mates have interest, yet when I mentioned Metallica could be playing they were all really excited by that.

They've got a lot of accessible tunes as well as songs that I'm sure the average Glastonbury fan would enjoy.

I like arcade fire but I cannot see them getting a bigger crowd than Metallica just because they're such a massive band and I'm sure plenty would go to see what the fuss is about. Although secretly I'd prefer them to play a secret park stage slot and play ride the lightning in full for the 30 years!

just something i thought may be of interest on the topic of that you all think that prince wouldn't play if he wasn't headlining because he's known to be a diva or whatever but i know someone that worked at the Manchester show and you all argued for ages on here about how the second show didn't sell out etc. and what it meant and I can tell you that Prince didn't care how many people were there he just wanted to play and it was the venue that had to say sorry we can't do this, not the other way around. so he may accept lower than headlining if he was willing to play for hours to just like 30 people. However he did ask for purple silk in his dressing room ha.

Edited by tonyblair

I would love to see Metallica live as I grew up listening to them but to be near enough for me to really get into it am going have to be up with lots of knobheads behaving how they think you must behave when listening to metal. There was enough fuckwittery during the Stones to be going on with.

Am not talking about a normal mosh pit btw, just mostly young people who dont know any of the music, completely off their faces, twatting about.