With prince out of the equation, who's left?

Guest GeoHall

Just wondering Neil (apologies if its been explained before) but iirc a couple weeks ago you said your best bet would be that Fleetwood would be headlining the Sat. I know that theyre supposed to be pretty much a shoe in for 2015 but wondering what it was that made you change your mind that they hadn't in fact been moved forward a year to fill the headliner gap?

That was my best-guess on that day. Prior to that (after Emily said Prince wasn't booked) I'd best-guessed that Glastonbury would speak to Metallica about headlining as they are the biggest act (presumably) on the bill that are not in a Pyramid headlining slot.

Both of those ideas seem to me to be no-brainers for Glastonbury, who seem to have found themselves short of a headliner later far later than would be ideal for them.

Of those two, Metallica seems more of a no-brainer as there'd be less work to do to make it happen.

Since the time I made those no-brainer guesses, I've had info which says that Metallica will headline, and while I'm not certain about that info it's likely to be right (unless, perhaps, Prince says yes in the near-future).

I've had no more info about Fleetwood Mac for months. I was merely taking a guess, and F.Mac was what I went with on that day.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a Metallica fan and this still doesnt make any sense to me, how are Metallica lined up to headline when other bands such as Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam have been considered too heavy or not suitable to headline.

That's a consideration of past years, that doesn't necessarily apply today.

Eavis has been making statements for a few years now which has indicated that he's more willing to consider heavier bands than he was a while back.

Wonder if AF or Metallica will have the smallest crowd. I assume Kasabian will get the biggest of the weekend. Don't get me wrong, Metallica deserve to headlining the Pyramid. But I wonder how many Glastonbury goers will actually want to see a whole set of them?

Cue a stream of people saying don't be silly I want to go, but we all know this forum is not representative of the majority of Glastonbury goers.

I don't consider Metallica to be a "no-brainer" to move to headliner.

With Elbow's history with the festival and backcatologe and Pyramid style singalongs, they would be a much more favourable choice with the Glasto crowd..

Although a Metallica are a massive act, the vast majority of Glasto crowd would be totally baffled by them headlining.

Elbow would get a bigger crowd on a Saturday night than Metallica. Fact.

I don't consider Metallica to be a "no-brainer" to move to headliner.

With Elbow's history with the festival and backcatologe and Pyramid style singalongs, they would be a much more favourable choice with the Glasto crowd..

Yep, quite possibly.

But they're nowhere near as big as M, and with AF and K as the other headliners, that would look pretty poor to the outside world especially as a follow on to last year.

I said 10+ years ago that Glastonbury were getting themselves into a future pickle by wanting to be mega every year. This appears to be a serving of that pickle (perhaps with accompanying cheese from Prince :P).