Prince, Metallica and Outkast confirmed for Glastonbury 2014 Festival today?

Guest StoneCircle

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full transcript of what she said:

"Prince on 6 music. I’m going to have to fade it out just to stop these guys in the studio fantasising about the idea that Prince is gonna be (laughs) one of the Glastonbury headliners this year. It’d be good, it would be good. Now that we’ve had heavy indications from the arcade fire camp, and there was a ‘K’ word knocking around on twitter yesterday I couldn’t help noticing on my timeline, I think Prince would be a good counter-point."

Essentially tells us nothing, although isn't Lauren Laverne quite chummy with Emily?

Full transcript of what she said:

"Prince on 6 music. I’m going to have to fade it out just to stop these guys in the studio fantasising about the idea that Prince is gonna be (laughs) one of the Glastonbury headliners this year. It’d be good, it would be good. Now that we’ve had heavy indications from the arcade fire camp, and there was a ‘K’ word knocking around on twitter yesterday I couldn’t help noticing on my timeline, I think Prince would be a good counter-point."

Essentially tells us nothing, although isn't Lauren Laverne quite chummy with Emily?

I disagree with you here, only due to the fact that, whilst I'd really enjoy seeing him as a counter-point to AF and Kasabian, he's no longer the musical force that he once was. Don't misunderstand me, his back catalogue is mightily impressive, but he hasn't really had a successful album here in the UK since 2006 and as such, I'd perceive him more likely to agree to one-off deals, such as allowing the BBC to show him headline Glastonbury, which would not really set a precedent or compromise his ideals but would expose him to a whole new audience and generation which would surely represent a win-win situation for him?

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

6Music isn't confirmation though. Everybody recognises that once there is a BBC Four special on an act, they will play Glastonbury.

Most notably, Pulp and Radiohead specials on just before the festival in 2011. Okay, the Stones documentary was on BBC One, but same rule applies.

*Waits patiently for some kind of Prince programme*

Edited by GlastoSimon

I have been going to Glastonbury since late 80's and have always had Prince at the top of my list of dream headliners. He has been playing live with his band 3rdEyeGirl all last year and I was there at his Portugal gig in Aug, I had given up all hope of seeing him at Pilton, until now!

I am trying to keep it together on what I heard yesterday in London but I have no doubts that Prince has finally decided it is time and will finally play this year!

I have seen him perform at many, many shows, tiny private aftershows and even met the man himself at a soundcheck in 1990 in Birmingham after speaking with his manager. He now has London management, lovely lady who also works with The Stones and a guy who does his PR, also in London, both at the gig last night.

I cannot say anymore, but hopefully I can use a few contacts as I don't have tickets this year, ironic isn't it!

I have been going to Glastonbury since late 80's and have always had Prince at the top of my list of dream headliners. He has been playing live with his band 3rdEyeGirl all last year and I was there at his Portugal gig in Aug, I had given up all hope of seeing him at Pilton, until now!

I am trying to keep it together on what I heard yesterday in London but I have no doubts that Prince has finally decided it is time and will finally play this year!

I have seen him perform at many, many shows, tiny private aftershows and even met the man himself at a soundcheck in 1990 in Birmingham after speaking with his manager. He now has London management, lovely lady who also works with The Stones and a guy who does his PR, also in London, both at the gig last night.

I cannot say anymore, but hopefully I can use a few contacts as I don't have tickets this year, ironic isn't it!

I'm even skeptical when anyone who has "contacts" close to Prince leaks anything these days... In 2011 I had a very reliable source (I can't name names, but he had previously correctly informed me about gigs/festivals by the likes of the Stones, The Who & Aerosmith) tell me that he had heard from a very reliable place Prince was certain for Hard Rock Calling that year, in the end it turns out there was nothing more to it than an offer being on the table & an over enthusiastic employee wanting to look like the big I am.

That isn't to say I don't trust your information "Skywalker", just that there are a lot of false stories about, particularly to do with Prince for some reason.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I would love Prince but I wouldn't believe it was actually headlining and till he said something, himself not his management, about the festival.

To be fair I wouldn't really believe it until he walked out on the pyramid. The Stones always felt possible to me, it was just about striking a deal where as with Prince he does whatever he pleases and is completely unpredictable.

Clearly glasto headliner money or post-festival record sales won't motivate him, the only reason I could see him doing it is ego, to beat the stone, U2 and the like by putting on an even better/bigger show then they did