The National

Zoo Music Girl

7 minutes ago, weirdforces said:

They just wanted to save space, right? Right??

Can we please not bump this unless there is new music, new live dates or especially when they ever finally get announced. As I've been going since 2011, I've never had the pleasure to see them down at the farm. 

• 1 month later...
On 29/03/2016 at 10:55 AM, reflekting said:

Can we please not bump this unless there is new music, new live dates or especially when they ever finally get announced. As I've been going since 2011, I've never had the pleasure to see them down at the farm. 

Whoops. Didn't heed my own advice. 

• 9 months later...

Anyone know why The National never appear to do Glastonbury anymore?  They are my favourite band and I live in hope every year that they will be in attendance but nothing!  As a band they don't appear to have an issue with jetting into the country for single gigs and are constantly doing random gigs around the world so it can't be anything to do with touring in the UK at the same time.  Have they fallen out with the festival, have the festival fallen out with them or are they holding out for a headline slot or just being overlooked...anyone know as its driving me mad???

14 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

Anyone know why The National never appear to do Glastonbury anymore?  They are my favourite band and I live in hope every year that they will be in attendance but nothing!  As a band they don't appear to have an issue with jetting into the country for single gigs and are constantly doing random gigs around the world so it can't be anything to do with touring in the UK at the same time.  Have they fallen out with the festival, have the festival fallen out with them or are they holding out for a headline slot or just being overlooked...anyone know as its driving me mad???

No one really knows, but the consensus round these parts seems to be Glastonbury won't offer them a big enough slot. Given they've played arenas and headlined other festivals they ought to be Pyramid sub or Other I reckon. But yeah its pretty sad that they've not played the fest since 2010, bypassing the whole TWFM tour despite being in the UK or Europe when the fest was on more than once. They've got a new album out soon surely?

38 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

No one really knows, but the consensus round these parts seems to be Glastonbury won't offer them a big enough slot. Given they've played arenas and headlined other festivals they ought to be Pyramid sub or Other I reckon. But yeah its pretty sad that they've not played the fest since 2010, bypassing the whole TWFM tour despite being in the UK or Europe when the fest was on more than once. They've got a new album out soon surely?

Last I heard they were in the process of writing before Christmas, but didn't expect it to be done soon. 

Also goddammit I hate when this thread gets bumped :P

55 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Their manager posted a pic to Instagram that seems to show it being mixed just yesterday, so they have come along quickly.

Do we have any idea as to what kind of material will be on it? Something like the turtleneck song from their last shows or something entirely different? I'm guessing it won't quite be a return to the Abels/All The Wines/Mr Novembers!

I don't think they're turning their nose up. I read an interview around the time TWFM came out, and they said they really wanted to do Glasto, but they just weren't offered. I would guess it's more of an issue of the festival not knowing where to put them. They're big enough to sub Other/Pyramid, and yet are a bit of a 'fans' band in that they don't have a hugely broad appeal... 

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Saw a quote last year that said it was going to be very different. 

Bet it ain't.

20 minutes ago, nikkic said:

When they last properly toured the U.K. what size venues did they play? 

Ally Pally and Manchester Apollo, and played the O2 since.

I reckon they could have a decent crack at arenas. But as mentioned they're a bit of a cult band and in the wrong setting they could get a poor crowd - I think they've a good following at Glasto though.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Could they not do Isle of Wight or Reading feasibly? Or even that new one in Scotland that Radiohead are doing? There are options, they're just a bit shit but probably pay more. Mind you I'd consider a day ticket for Reading. 

The last time they played Reading & Leeds they got a tiny crowd, I reckon it'd be even worse now. I think they'd do ok supporting someone like Radiohead or Arcade Fire at TRNSMT but yeah, hard to see where they really fit in. Glastonbury is probably the major festival they fit best actually.

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Could they not do Isle of Wight or Reading feasibly? Or even that new one in Scotland that Radiohead are doing? There are options, they're just a bit shit but probably pay more. Mind you I'd consider a day ticket for Reading. 

Yeah I was thinking IoW sub (or do they do a Thursday headliner also?), but Reading wasn't for them 6 years ago, and it sure as shit hasn't turned in their favour since then. Agree with Kingcrawler here, Glastonbury seems the best fit for them. I think everybody here is reading too much into them having not played, I think they'll play again in the future, there's a million reasons why they might not have been offered a slot, very few of those reasons involve beef.

I don't think there's beef per se but I do think there's some disagreement on where they would place, ie they've not been offered something compelling enough. It is weird that they've been in the UK the week of Glastonbury one year and very close by another and not played. In my opinion anyway. They were touring the shit out of TWFM. 

8 hours ago, reflekting said:

Do we have any idea as to what kind of material will be on it? Something like the turtleneck song from their last shows or something entirely different? I'm guessing it won't quite be a return to the Abels/All The Wines/Mr Novembers!

I read it was going to be “weird, math-y, electronic-y”!

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah I was thinking IoW sub (or do they do a Thursday headliner also?), but Reading wasn't for them 6 years ago, and it sure as shit hasn't turned in their favour since then. Agree with Kingcrawler here, Glastonbury seems the best fit for them. I think everybody here is reading too much into them having not played, I think they'll play again in the future, there's a million reasons why they might not have been offered a slot, very few of those reasons involve beef.

Have you seen the IOW lineup this year? Aside from Arcade Fire (who look insanely out of place anyway) they'd stick out like a sore thumb. Their subs this year appear to be Catfish and the Bottlemen, Kaiser Chiefs and Bastille. It's basically V Festival plus the odd baffling old man act such as Rod Stewart now.

They wouldn't work at R&L now either, really. As said, their crowd in 2011 was tiny and even then most of the people there didn't seem to give a shit and were just waiting for The Strokes/Pulp. They'd be even less relevant there now.

I think Glastonbury, Latitude and Bestival are the only major ones they'd really work at now. Bestival do seem to be getting more dancey headliners, as said, but there are still more alternative bands there like The National. It would be the worst fit of the three, though.

At Glastonbury like others I think it must be a disagreement over what slot they deserve that's stopped them appearing recently. I reckon they'll want Pyramid sub/Other headline and are probably being offered a slot lower. Hopefully on the next album tour they get booked. Other headline would be perfect and I don't reckon they'd do much worse crowd-wise than LCD Soundsystem (although Glasto were probably more eager to give LCD what they wanted in order to bag them on the reunion tour).

IoW just seems to go for rock bands that middle aged men will watch. The National might be a bit more left field than most of their choices, but I could still see it happening.

James Murphy having such a good relationship with Glastonbury will most likely have worked in their favour for last year. I reckon The National would be a good JPT headliner, they're about the same size as Sigur Ros.