The National

Zoo Music Girl

Where are we expecting double dates that’s the main question?

Big gap to fill between London and Edinburgh so I’m guessing 2 in london again unless that’s a “festival” thing like Castlefield? Same goes for Edinburgh?

Maybe they’ll just stick 2 nights in the Piece Hall in the middle, or is that weekends and later in the year?

18 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Never seen them live - how are they? 

If you like them on record, then chances are you’ll enjoy them live. If you’re not really into them, or are even just a casual fan, then I don’t think they’d blow you over by them live.
They have somewhat of a huge cult following, which makes for fantastic atmospheres at their own gigs - I don’t think they are a great festival band for this reason. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, st dan said:

If you like them on record, then chances are you’ll enjoy them live. If you’re not really into them, or are even just a casual fan, then I don’t think they’d blow you over by them live.
They have somewhat of a huge cult following, which makes for fantastic atmospheres at their own gigs - I don’t think they are a great festival band for this reason. 

Will probably be a good crowd if they're up against Madonna, though. Hardly gonna be many just going along to check them out.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It depends. Stick em on as a sub to Foo Fighters and yeah, they’re not gonna fair too well, but I saw them at Primavera last year which is very much more their crowd and they were great, and I think with them playing opposite Madonna they’ll have a small but very passionate crowd similar to QOTSA this year or LCD in 2016 and it’ll be great for anybody there.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Will probably be a good crowd if they're up against Madonna, though. Hardly gonna be many just going along to check them out.

Maybe, but I think you’ll end up with a lot of people who won’t be impressed with either to be honest - particularly the younger attendees. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Maybe, but I think you’ll end up with a lot of people who won’t be impressed with either to be honest - particularly the younger attendees. 

Sure, and they'll probably go elsewhere.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

While you could well be right, isn't Elton the first time we've had proper ariel / drone shots of a ginormo-crowd to get a proper sense of the scale / dimension? So we don't really understand how much bigger it was than e.g. the Stones, Dolly, etf

Only one I was at was The Stones, it was remarkably easy to escape from fairly close to the pit

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While you could well be right, isn't Elton the first time we've had proper ariel / drone shots of a ginormo-crowd to get a proper sense of the scale / dimension? So we don't really understand how much bigger it was than e.g. the Stones, Dolly, etf

I think the various photographs of the other main stages being deserted is a pretty good indication. I remember a few similar photos during the Stones set of the Park being pretty empty, but the rest of the site during Elton looked like a completely different beast altogether - hilariously empty at the start of his set at least. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm thinking more about the future than the past - I can't see any other act with such broad appeal also being the "right place, right time" in the way Elton was.

But relative to previous acts - the fact that the Pyramid field was substantially larger this year, with more people on site than ever before, makes me think Elton almost certainly took any record by a comfortable margin.