When the hell is Cat Stevens gonna play Glasto?

Guest Justiceforcedave

• 9 years later...

He should not play until (as  Cynthia Haven pointed out in 2014)   “what is needed now is him to make full, public repudiation of all violence in the name of religion, and call for the lifting of the fatwa on Salman Rushdie. …

Peace is tough business, and often calls for more than the singing of songs about a Peace Train.....

He has still yet to state where he stands. .

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

He has stated exactly where he stands. He has categorically stated that he didnt back the fatwa and still doesn't.

I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini—and still don’t. The book itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis. When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that – like both the Torah and the Gospel – the Qur'an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offense. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you're looking for them. However, the application of such Biblical and Qur'anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini—and still don’t. The book itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis. When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that – like both the Torah and the Gospel – the Qur'an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offense. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you're looking for them. However, the application of such Biblical and Qur'anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole

And this is why cat hasn't done Glastonbury before now, any sort of public profile has somone drag this up in order to offend themselves and only benefits the drama queens. 

Edited by Neil

• 3 months later...

I saw him in Berlin last Tuesday about 90minutes plus encore. Great concert most of the hits and some new ones, though not sure about the three song medley near the start. Full band with a couple of backing singers and small horn section. Voice is still good although maybe a bit strained on the higher notes.

He may struggle with the pop expectations of the "legend" slot, but he uses the songs well to get some political points across, which should appeal to the ethos of Glastonbury, especially on Mathew & Son (Labour and Work relationships), Where Do the Children Play (Environmental), Hard Headed Woman (Female Empowerment) and a tribute to Nina Simone Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood (Intolerance to different opinions)

His fans will love it, those who know some his stuff will enjoy it, not sure how it will appeal to the curious.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yusuf-islam/2023/zitadelle-spandau-berlin-germany-4ba6c75a.html