I saw it and the crowd were shockingly bad! Unsurprising considering it's Coachella and full of w*nkers but I felt bad for them cause they were getting no response to feed off. Andre 3000 doing Hey Hay with his back to the crowd was a sad sight.

Still very excited for Bestival though cause there's a lot of performances inbetween now and September for them to perfect the set even more.

Plus y'know, it's Outkast and they're brilliant.

Edited by Zacko

Can it never be the act's fault? I thought the set was garbage regardless of the crowd. Though this would be far and away the biggest gig they've done so I wouldn't doubt nerves crept in to some extent.

Yeah it can be but some acts feed off a decent crowd more than others so to an extent an act could do almost the exact same show but it feels better than another just because the crowd is "better".

Big Boi was on point throughout. Andre seemed to get more bored & disconnected as the performance rolled on. The whole thing seemed under rehearsed throughout, which I hope will be ironed out by the time Bestival comes around.

The 'special guests' were awful too. I mean why tell people Prince is at the side of the stage, announce you're bringing out a special guest, turn the lights purple & then introduce Future to perform 3 songs that aren't related to OutKast & that the majority of the crowd have no interest in hearing. Mind boggling.

With regards to the crowd reaction, it's a bit of a chicken & the egg situation. Do you blame the band for a poor crowd reaction or do you blame the poor crowd for the band lacking enthusiasm?

I'd lean more on the side of the fans because it's Coachella and the crowds there are notoriously shit, but I suppose Andre 3000 has always had quite bad stage fright apparently so it's a bit of both - you can tell Big Boi has spent the last few years performing on stage if you compare the two.

I think by Bestival they'll be on point

Edited by Zacko

I would describe myself as a casual fan, enjoy some of the earlier stuff and have some knowledge outside of the main radio hits - I watched some of it and thought the performance was utter tripe, just boring! I think I have found a lot of hip hop acts lack a certain amount of that with their live performances, of the following acts I've seen live - Public Enemy, WU Tang, De La Soul, Roots, Snoop Dogg, Nas, Ice T & Jurassic 5 - I think only Wu Tang, Snoop and Roots really lived up to the hype for me

Sometimes it is just that the crowd is shit though surely? (I am not saying in this insistance as it seems a bit of both). Especially at festivals, where you get alot of people just drifting by/waiting for the next band.

A crowd can be shit because a crowd is shit, that isn't an excuse for the band being rubbish though

Does explain why a band might lack enthusiasm on a particular night though.

I don't think so. If a crowd isn't getting in to it, that should really inspire the artist to try harder.

I can totally see why a lame crowd would ruin a punters experience, because you have to be part of that (although I personally try and ignore crowds most of the time) but it doesn't wash as an excuse for an artist being crap IMO.

I don't think so. If a crowd isn't getting in to it, that should really inspire the artist to try harder.

I can totally see why a lame crowd would ruin a punters experience, because you have to be part of that (although I personally try and ignore crowds most of the time) but it doesn't wash as an excuse for an artist being crap IMO.

I didn't say it was an excuse, I said it was partly the reason why a band might lack enthusiasm. Should a performer always try to deliver to the best of their ability despite the crowd being shit? Absolutely... In the real world will that always happen? Absolutely not.

If the response a band gets from the performance is shit that's obviously going to effect the way they continue to perform for that crowd, particularly if said performer already suffers from anxiety/stage fright beforehand & is relying on the enthusiasm/energy of the crowd to feed off... It's a no brainer really. For some performers a poor crowd reaction might spur them on & push them to deliver, for others it may deflate them into a substandard performance.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

It's a shame this weekends performance wasn't streamed, from the reviews they seem to have ironed out the kinks & the setlist certainly looks a lot more organised.

It's being broadcast on a cable channel in the US but I couldn't find a hooky stream for that. You're right though and it looks like they're playing more of their own songs now. I suppose the first weekend is for the media coverage (a lá Reading over Leeds) so it has more special guests and gimmicks and crap. Obviously this weekend's performance will be much more like the Bestival gig.

Edited by dentalplan