Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Floorfiller said he read that people had been turned away in the States for wearing the wrong clothes. If that's actually true then they've massively gone down in my estimations.

Sounds like a load of guff to me that some people want to believe:

From the NY gig review

Fans were informed of a mandatory dress code, requiring formalwear or costumes; those who forgot were provided with complimentary face paint and masks as they entered the cavernous space to celebrate indie-rock Halloween.

And a gig in Canada:

Formal attire or a costume was required. Cameras and cell phones were strictly banned. I headed over to see what was going on. Hopeful attendees had started lining up outside the venue around noon. The crowd contained a mixed bag of people in suits, dresses, and all kinds of crazy costumes, with others who didn’t get the memo about the dress code. Rumours circulated throughout the day of our outfits being “judged” before we could gain admission to the show. The bouncers periodically looked us over and gave warnings to people dressed inappropriately — no jeans, no tennis shoes, etc. — and this created a lot of anxiety among us. Some ran to H&M for a quick outfit tuneup, others called up significant others for suit pants deliveries. My favourite was this guy who had gone into the office in the morning, heard about the show, asked his boss for the rest of the day off, and scrounged together a “Mr. Reflektor” superhero outfit that he put on over his work clothes.

In the end, no one was denied entry for his or her outfit, but there was a stylist for the event who handed out white jumpsuits to anyone who had underdressed for the occasion. Apparently, the costumes were required as part of a video shoot, although it was never clear what type of video. Later there would be a film crew recording the whole set.

Edited by mrtourette

kind of like at the last LCD Soundsystem shows where he requested everybody to wear black and white, but when watching Shut Up And Play The Hits you can see one smart arse guy in the thick of it all with a bright red t shirt on

i think it's a nice little concept but, as people have pointed out, if going straight from work etc it does make it a bit of a pain in the arse

I don't have a problem with asking it for a bit of fun. I definitely have a problem with them refusing fans entry if they don't conform.

Sounds like a load of guff to me that some people want to believe:

From the NY gig review

And a gig in Canada:

The gig in Canada could well be the one off the Roman Coppola directed live show thing 'Here Comes the Night Time', which is brilliant if anyone's not seen it on YouTube. They were given dance instructions too, because they were being filmed and all. The NY one will probably be how it is for everywhere else.

yeah i should've made it clear that i was unsure whether i'd remembered that correctly. just thought i'd read that somewhere, but obviously not (or i had and it was wrong)! but them handing out face paint etc to those not in formal attire / costume is pretty great. as much of a pain in the arse it is to get dressed up (and no doubt be uncomfortably hot during the gig) it does make it seem like a bit more of an 'event' rather than just any old gig

Am all for it, end of the day it's their gig, they can set the rules..

If you were going to a black tie event that wasn't a gig, would you still turn up in your jeans if it was formal attire only?

I think it's a bunch of pretentious bullshit, but each to their own I suppose.

I used to love this band but just about everything they've done up to the release of this album has been a bunch of bullshit that get the likes of people who worship instergram juices flowing but its superficial and extremely forced attempts at being clever. The whole artisitc statememnt revolving around this release and now this tour has been sixth grade bullshit.

Am all for it, end of the day it's their gig, they can set the rules..

If you were going to a black tie event that wasn't a gig, would you still turn up in your jeans if it was formal attire only?

On the whole I avoid black tie events wherever possible, I don't have the right attire, I don't like forking out a load of money to hire it and they're fairly w*nkey affairs. If Arcade Fire want to play that game then fine, but all its doing is alienating some people

On the whole I avoid black tie events wherever possible, I don't have the right attire, I don't like forking out a load of money to hire it and they're fairly w*nkey affairs. If Arcade Fire want to play that game then fine, but all its doing is alienating some people

They aren't really though are they, They're trying to make people be a bit creative to have some fun, and if they don't... well they still get in anyway.

They aren't really though are they, They're trying to make people be a bit creative to have some fun, and if they don't... well they still get in anyway.

Yeah - which is cool. That's a decent idea, it was the refusing people entry part that I had a problem with, but it appears as though that isn't the case now.

I haven't got an email with a presale code for Uk dates yet so I assume I'll get that tomorrow if the presales Wednesday!

I've had separate emails for each round of shows thus far would like to get presale tix as its my birthday on the 1st and I want to have it sorted then as I don't want a stressful bday morning!

I haven't got an email with a presale code for Uk dates yet so I assume I'll get that tomorrow if the presales Wednesday!

I've had separate emails for each round of shows thus far would like to get presale tix as its my birthday on the 1st and I want to have it sorted then as I don't want a stressful bday morning!

For the most recent dates i got the codes at nearly nine pm on the tuesday and the pre-sale was wednesday morning (though in the states so with a time difference) - i was assuming we'll get them tomorrow

My copy got delivered yesterday so finally got to listen to it last night, I think it's a very good album. I don't think it's a massive departure from their previous stuff, a lot was made of the different sound and working with James Murphy but there's three or four songs that could easily sit on The Suburbs and not sound out of place. Of the others they're obviously trying new stuff but it still sounds like the same band, and it's not as if they haven't been experimental with their sound on other records either. There do seem to be a few more grooves flowing throguh the songs but this whole thing about them making a dance record is nonsense (as I think most people had realised was going to be rubbish anyway). I can understand the accusation of dragging songs out as some of them do seem to be longer than they need to be or the extra time doesn't really bring anything extra to the table, but I didn't find it annoying or anything. People have quite rightly pointed out that there aren't really any anthems or obvious singles, but there's still enough variety and quality to break the album up rather than just being the same song with the same vibe and atmosphere played slightly differently thirteen times. I have wondered in what circumstances I'm going to want to listen to it in the future, especially when their other records are on offer, I think it might be one of those that slips down the pecking order but then is always a very pleasant surprise when you do eventually go back to it.

Edited by mrtourette