The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

anyone else notice them just post a video on their twitter to their pyramid slot in 2004? Hint maybe?

Just spotted it. Very good too. Enjoyed them in 2011 but saw them headline Latitude in 2012 and wasn't blown away despite them playing a few old ones. Maybe it was the wrong festival for them?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spotted it. Very good too. Enjoyed them in 2011 but saw them headline Latitude in 2012 and wasn't blown away despite them playing a few old ones. Maybe it was the wrong festival for them?

I thought they went a bit too over-the-top, it came off like they were trying too hard. Having said that, the Latitude crowd don't do going mental.

I thought they went a bit too over-the-top, it came off like they were trying too hard. Having said that, the Latitude crowd don't do going mental.

Agreed on both points. They had the runway thing (a la stones) that just seemed odd coupled with middle class suburban crowd waiting for something to happen. I can only describe it as Odd.

• 3 weeks later...

Stones and Mumford were in the USA beforehand and played their own uk dates after

Arctic Monkeys are touring this month

Beyonce... one off date

Coldplay.... One off before heading on a world tour in the October

U2... First UK date in over 2 years, First European date in a year, Halfway through the US tour (mainly because bono is a dick and did fell off the stage)

Most headliners seem to play the USA before coming to Europe for the festival season, and then using the festivals as a launch pad to sell their own shows in the autumn / winter

Edited by dan05delaney

Most headliners seem to play the USA before coming to Europe for the festival season, and then using the festivals as a launch pad to sell their own shows in the autumn / winter

That was the traditional model, however all of a sudden (in the last two years) America suddenly has it's own summer outdoor festival calendar developing on it's own soil - which is altering the touring landscape to some extent.

I think Elbow also need to road test all the new stuff before headlining Glastonbury...it'll be a risk playing too much new stuff anyway when I personally don't think much of their older stuff is that well known, so it'll be worth them working out what works and what doesn't live. Also, if there are some big singalong bits people will get to know them on an arena tour in April, maybe helping give the set some crowd atmosphere.

I love Elbow, but I think it'll take a HUGE effort and maybe a couple more BIG hits for them to be a good headliner...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Elbow just announced for the Best Kept Secret festival the week before Glasto, in holland. ( Alongside Pixies and Belle and Sebastian)...

Announced for a number of festivals in June, they're looking likely.

They're headlining Best Kept Secret, although I don't think that will be the case with Glasto.

Edited by GlastoSimon

Elbow just announced for the Best Kept Secret festival the week before Glasto, in holland. ( Alongside Pixies and Belle and Sebastian)...

Arctic Monkeys headlined BKS on the Friday this year; the Friday after, they headlined Glasto.

Hope this trend doesn't follow next year, still don't think Elbow are pyramid stage headliner material.

Mumford and Sons headlined this year, let's get some perspective here, we can't have every Pyramid headliner a massive act or brilliant act. Sometimes the dross will headline, sometimes smaller bands will headline, there are far worse bands than Elbow who could get a leg-up (actually, I can't think of a better one, perfect mix of years of graft + growing popularity). Their live show isn't the most exciting thing you'll ever see, but it's a crowd-pleaser of much higher standards than a lot of the shit the Pyramid endures. And do I really have to point out that there are dozens of (better) stages you can be watching?

Mumford and Sons headlined this year, let's get some perspective here, we can't have every Pyramid headliner a massive act or brilliant act. Sometimes the dross will headline, sometimes smaller bands will headline, there are far worse bands than Elbow who could get a leg-up (actually, I can't think of a better one, perfect mix of years of graft + growing popularity). Their live show isn't the most exciting thing you'll ever see, but it's a crowd-pleaser of much higher standards than a lot of the shit the Pyramid endures. And do I really have to point out that there are dozens of (better) stages you can be watching?

You don't like the Beatles so your opinion is invalid unfortunately