The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See I'm completely the opposite! Odd really, sounds like both Pulp and Elbow were on top form that night

We were seeing pulp at t in the park a couple of weeks later! This also influenced the decision

They must bring back Scattered Black and Whites to their live shows. I don't know how to embed videos on here, but check out the performance they did of this song at the BBC show in Manchester a couple of years back on U tube. Mesmerising and beautiful. If they doesn't make people cry with emotion then nothing will

Burst into tears when I saw they were rumoured. When I saw them in 2011 I was in a very bad low place and when The loneliness of the Tower Crane Driver was played i had a spiritual awaking. Left my ex of 19 years 3 weeks later after years of upset and being controlled. My new wife watched the set on the BBC and felt the same as me. We saw them on December at the O2 and were in tears for most of the set!! We had One day like this as our music for the wedding. She was disappointed that they were not playing this year but she is delighted they are next year. Will be an amazing set.

That sums it up - Elbow write music that soundtracks such feelings as can't be put into words - yet Guy Garvey somehow conjures up words that sum up such feelings in such a way that you suspect witchcraft or genius.

Beautiful band.

I hope i get tickets next year, that will be fifth in a row! Now if Elbow were to headline i would 1) need to see what the new album was like, and 2) hope that as a headliner they would play some of the great tunes from the first three albums. They never play Newborn, Scattered, Black and Whites, Powder blue et al anymore because Guy can't get his voice up there anymore. I love Asleep at the back but sadly i fear it has gone from their live performances. I would have to see who they were up against. I saw them in 2011, though they were great in the position they were in, Guy is a great warm up man and very funny ,but headline? Yes they have the songs, but will they play them?

I hope i get tickets next year, that will be fifth in a row! Now if Elbow were to headline i would 1) need to see what the new album was like, and 2) hope that as a headliner they would play some of the great tunes from the first three albums. They never play Newborn, Scattered, Black and Whites, Powder blue et al anymore because Guy can't get his voice up there anymore. I love Asleep at the back but sadly i fear it has gone from their live performances. I would have to see who they were up against. I saw them in 2011, though they were great in the position they were in, Guy is a great warm up man and very funny ,but headline? Yes they have the songs, but will they play them?

I agree with both your points, they need a cracking album because BARB was a bit of a disappointment compared with that came before (you can tell by how much of SSK they still plav live at gigs compared with BARB).I also hope they play more of the older stuff again. Last few years you are lucky to get any more than a couple pre SSK (from Station Approach, Puncture Repair, Great Expectations, Fugitive Motel and Scattered Black and Whites if you are very lucky!) I am not convinced when people mention Guys voice not being up to it to play dome of the earlier stuff. They still play a beautiful live version of Scattered, and I wouldn't think Powder Blue and Newborn are any more challenging vocally than Weather to Fly. I wish they would, they have an absolutely cracking back catalogue, and I think they will next year because they have been playing largely the same set now for the last 5 years which is stating to feel a bit tired now, so they need to mix it up more. Fingers crossed!

I agree with both your points, they need a cracking album because BARB was a bit of a disappointment compared with that came before (you can tell by how much of SSK they still plav live at gigs compared with BARB).I also hope they play more of the older stuff again. Last few years you are lucky to get any more than a couple pre SSK (from Station Approach, Puncture Repair, Great Expectations, Fugitive Motel and Scattered Black and Whites if you are very lucky!) I am not convinced when people mention Guys voice not being up to it to play dome of the earlier stuff. They still play a beautiful live version of Scattered, and I wouldn't think Powder Blue and Newborn are any more challenging vocally than Weather to Fly. I wish they would, they have an absolutely cracking back catalogue, and I think they will next year because they have been playing largely the same set now for the last 5 years which is stating to feel a bit tired now, so they need to mix it up more. Fingers crossed!

But really can you see it, there will be a new album out by then and the vast number of people who would go to see them only really know from SSK so they will pander to them with most from SSK , BARB and the new album which will be out in 6 mths ( ?) and in the public minds by then. If we were lucky after 6 albums we might get ( as you say two or three at most from the first three. We'll have to wait and see, but you are right the same set list is starting to get boring and staid. I've seen them twice live now, once at the Apple store in Regents street, only about 200 people, a real treat and at G in 2011 where they were great. It maybe time to call it but as i said let's see who they are up against first.

Edited by ghandi

I know what you mean, I'm bored of the setlist and wasn't that keen on BARB. I don't think ballads are their strength, I love stuff like Forget Myself, Fallen Angel and Leaders Of The Free World. They have a few good slowies but they do far too many live now.

Edited by kidpresentable

I would say that ballads are their strength . Guy writes heartfelt lyrics such as in " Newborn' and my favorite tune from LONW is "My very Best " which i think he wrote about his split with Edith Bowman. Indeed i think the whole album leaned towards that although he said it was written about coming home to Manchester. I didn't believe him :) Guys got a wonderful voice that is like Honey and think it's not the same when he's trying to force it on rockier tunes. Only slightly mind, i still think most of their stuff is great. The likes of " Loneliness of a crane driver" from SSK would be great backed by an orchestra like the gig they did with the BBC concert Orchestra. would be great on the Pyramid in the dark . I hate tunes like " Gounds for Divorce" . Sometimes their anthemic tunes work , written to get a large crowd to sing along, but i prefer the more intimate stuff. Although you couldn't argue with " a day like this" :)

• 1 month later...

Oh! :(

Well thats that over.............

Until ME is in another interview some day soon and says "have not headlined before!".............. ;)

I reckon (hope) he meant that anyway

If not, other stage headliners?

And I'm sure they will headline in the future providing they continue to make commercially successful albums - Guy Garvey is fairly explicit in his love of the festival