The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really really pleased if they do headline. Me and my mate were saying that it seems that pretty much every time they play festivals they are put second fiddle, or on a really low slot at festivals. Now finally they get a chance to prove that they can pull off a headline slot! Also, they genuinely give a shit about the place.

Edited by BlackHole2006

I know it's a compilation, but I do believe that Dead In The Boot could be my overall favourite Elbow album.

Songs like Whisper Grass, Lucky With Disease, Long War Shuffle and Waving From Windows create a gorgeous nocturnal feel, and in Every Bit The Little Girl and Love Blown Down, you have what are increasingly my two favourite songs they've ever recorded sequenced back to back.

2008 was brilliant and I'm sure they have said they look at that moment as the moment when they felt it all changed for them and they started to have a bigger impact. I have been listening to them since 2000 or so and was chuffed to see them get more recognition and now im chuffed at this slot. Fingers crossed it does come to fruition and they knock it out of the park!

Burst into tears when I saw they were rumoured. When I saw them in 2011 I was in a very bad low place and when The loneliness of the Tower Crane Driver was played i had a spiritual awaking. Left my ex of 19 years 3 weeks later after years of upset and being controlled. My new wife watched the set on the BBC and felt the same as me. We saw them on December at the O2 and were in tears for most of the set!! We had One day like this as our music for the wedding. She was disappointed that they were not playing this year but she is delighted they are next year. Will be an amazing set.

Ah, lovely Elbow and lovely, lovely, lovely Guy Garvey :wub:

Mr P&P and I walked out of the church barn as man and wife to One Day Like This in 2010, and then jn 2011 I chose to see Elbow over the (now legendary) Pulp 'secret' set in the Park and loved every second of it, especially the reverse Mexican Wave ('let me see those hands, Glastonbury, let me see those hands')

I'd be bloody delighted if they played. Although I suspect we'll all cry like slapped bairns for the whole gig. Especially Guy Garvey...

^^ same! Walked back down the 'aisle' at our 26/06/2010 wedding to One Day Like This, 2011 was our first anniversary and first Glastonbury. That sunset set couldn't have been more perfect.

Ah, we're 12/06/10! And our lovely friends L & K (also Glasto-goers) were the same weekend the following year. Happy days!

We had One Day Like This at the end of the night at our wedding. Last tune post Bohemian Rhapsody. Big sing along to end the night and it was great fun. Everyone surrounding us and singing their lungs out. Good times. It then became cemented as one of those songs that when we hear will always remind us of that day and each other.

In 2011 I went to see Pulp and the Mrs went to see Elbow. When I left Pulp I consulted the Clashfinder and realised I would not make it for the end of Elbow. I knew they would play ODLT last so I ran from the Park to the Pyramid and as I reached the field I could hear One Day Like This playing. The end of gig singalong was in full flow. I was knackered but kept going. I got over to the area where my friends where with my Mrs and I clamped eyes on her, smiled, ran up to her and grabbed her saying "I made it", then kissed her as the song was ending.............I was so happy I got there.

During the start of the song everyone who was at our wedding and hanging out with her kept saying to her "We cant believe Thomas is not here for this"...........this was actually making her feel even worse that I was missing.........lucky for me I got there in the nick of time :)

Great stories!! Not many bands around that can evoke such emotions

I've saw elbow at least 9 times now and as much as 2011 was heavily drawn from their last two albums it was Glastonbury!! And my favourite of all

If they do headline next year (they will!) it will be one of the greats

Edited by blue6field

I'm missing the next Glastonbury and Elbow were sacrificed in 2011 for the Aloe Blacc and Janelle Monae combo (both of which were superb).

Will never seem them at Glasto by the seems of things (as obviously will be a while until they are back again if headlining next year).