The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that ballads are their strength . Guy writes heartfelt lyrics such as in " Newborn' and my favorite tune from LONW is "My very Best " which i think he wrote about his split with Edith Bowman.

It's Free World, not New World (which is what I assume you meant by the 'N')

TBH, I thought their last album was poor, like the new Nick Cave, I've tried to get into it , but it just doesn't click. IMO the peaked at LOFW.

As I've grown older I've realised that people assess things, such as bands or authors etc. based on when they first 'got into them'. Elbow have been the classic example of a slow burn. Those who first heard of them at the time of SSK, probably think their the bees knees, but I'm not sure how aware they are of the back catalogue.

I hope, for their own benefit, they do headline, but for me their Other Stage set will be the hightlight.

TBH, I thought their last album was poor, like the new Nick Cave, I've tried to get into it , but it just doesn't click. IMO the peaked at LOFW.

As I've grown older I've realised that people assess things, such as bands or authors etc. based on when they first 'got into them'. Elbow have been the classic example of a slow burn. Those who first heard of them at the time of SSK, probably think their the bees knees, but I'm not sure how aware they are of the back catalogue.

I hope, for their own benefit, they do headline, but for me their Other Stage set will be the hightlight.

I agree with this. They have a completely different audience nowadays and they recognise that and cater their setlists accordingly. Recent setlists show almost no songs prior to SSK being played. Newborn and Powder Blue, two of their bigger songs from their first 3 albums (I'd say) are nowhere to be seen these days.

Fair play to the band, they have cracked the formula to making it big. Create simpler, singalong anthems that the masses will enjoy. I think their earlier work is just a bit too subtle for arena crowds.

I doubt I'll ever watch them again, but have very fond memories of older gigs of theirs I've seen.

A similar thing has happened with I Am Kloot I think

Nick Cave's latest album seems like it's miles better live than on record by the way....

Nope, I've been there from the start, and they're still very much The Bee's Knees.

And as for their recent setlists, we got Fugitive Motel and Grace Under Pressure - which suggests to me that the back catalogue will never be completely ignored.

I just hope that they drop Open Arms from future setlists. That's the one song - THE ONE SONG - that I find superfluous - as if they were trying to write another One Day Like This. That they frequently play them back to back at shows is a bit much.

And Russy, I Am Kloot? Really? The Sky At Night is their finest album, and Let It All In is better still. Listen to most anything from their first three albums compared to those two and you can really hear the growth. And though their setlists might be dominated by later material, they still seem to make a point of ensuring that every album is represented.

The best thing Elbow could do is release a brand new album with the following track listing...

Stiation Approach

Powder Blue

Newborn

Fugitive Motel

Forget Myself

The Stops

Can't stop

Switching off

My Very Best

Puncture Repair

Scattered Black and Whites

Grace Under Pressure

Everyone will be happy then, newbies who won't know any better, and oldies. Win, win

... I am confident that most newbies would say it was their greatest album yet!

Edited by dingbat2

so, in being aware of back catalogue of gigs, with your 'highlight' Other Stage set are you referring to 2002 or '08?

There would be an exodus to the smaller stages then!

exactly!

never has a band been so defined by one song. Even radiohead/creep wasnt this bad

It definitely got to him on the latest album, hence songs like open arms. He even admitted they wrote that album with arenas in mind. That was quite a crappy admission I thought, fair play for him being honest though. And why shouldnt they cash on in their fame like that?

but, to me, that album is clearly inferior to the others and the reasons why are pretty clear.

They were never one of my favourite bands though, it's just easy listening really. Perfect for sunny festival slots. I dont see them as a headliner, but meh what do I know

He's a lovely fella but did the persona/fame get to GG's head? I remember seeing him play acoustic guitar on his own during a gig and he was fantastic. Rarely see this from him nowadays. Fecker is on CBeebies doing Jackanory in between trips to Burger King.

The whole "big scope" thing they're doing just leaves me cold, it's not new or inspired, the string arrangements for Mardy Bum this year were just gratuitous. Alex Turner wanted to look all grown-up, but ironically, just going "wer doin it wiv violinz an classy shit like dat" is a bit childish and insecure, just play the song.

I think they'd struggle to keep a fickle Pyramid crowd with them for a whole set, apart from through GG's stage presence.

2011 was hit and miss and a headline slot (without a new album of epic proportions) is going to stretch them too far IMHO.

But I bet it'll happen.

From where I was standing I didn't hear too many complaints about their 2011 set. I thought they totally nailed it!