The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going against the grain but I reckon BARB is their best since cast of thousands.

Lippy kids live is tremendous

I'm rather fond of the album. Don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's as good as Seldom Seen Kid, but it's pretty good.

I also like Lippy Kids. Maybe it's because I'm a soft lad from the north, and I also never perfected that simian stroll.

I wish I had seen The Black Eyed Peas in '04. I regretted seeing them in '09. Oasis were famously well below par in '04.

The BEP were quite an interesting & different & proper live band in '04 (Elephunk is a great album). They were just four singers doing karaoke & choreography by '09. I saw the start of Blur that evening, but had a ticket for Hyde Park the week after and didn't want to spoil it. Ironically, I didn't go to The Prodigy on The Other because I always considered them a sing-along-a-DAT karaoke act. They would have been better than BEP.

To stay on thread (sorry) I've managed to miss Elbow at least twice (and I think it may be thrice) at Glasto. Work beckoned for the two definites and I forget who I may have been seeing instead for the possible third. TSSK is one of my favourite albums ever. It just grew on me in so many different ways. I still want to really see them at the festival.

I find the whole 'shit after SSK' shtick to be a bit naff to be honest. There's fair criticism about their setlists being too biased after that album but if you're turning on them simply because they had a popular song that was everywhere then you're cutting your nose off to spite your face in my humble opinion.

Not sure why they stuck Fugitive Motel back in the setlist, that's a total stinker.

I find the whole 'shit after SSK' shtick to be a bit naff to be honest. There's fair criticism about their setlists being too biased after that album but if you're turning on them simply because they had a popular song that was everywhere then you're cutting your nose off to spite your face in my humble opinion.

Not sure why they stuck Fugitive Motel back in the setlist, that's a total stinker.

Build a rocket boys and the other one are just really shit compared to their first three. That's all there is to it.

By his own admission the band started making songs designed for arenas after the success of one day like this. I find that a really off putting reason for making music.

Most bands steadily decline, it's nothing new.

Build a rocket boys and the other one are just really shit compared to their first three. That's all there is to it.

By his own admission the band started making songs designed for arenas after the success of one day like this. I find that a really off putting reason for making music.

Most bands steadily decline, it's nothing new.

LOTFW is their worst for me, just never got into it. Went back to it again earlier last year and it still grated on me.

Cast/BARB/Asleep/SSK/Takeoff/LOTFW for me.

LOTFW is their worst for me, just never got into it. Went back to it again earlier last year and it still grated on me.

Cast/BARB/Asleep/SSK/Takeoff/LOTFW for me.

Now I just can't get into Cast Of a Thousands. It baffles me when people say they are boring now compared to what they used to do as Cast is by far the most boring of their albums. Some good songs but all together just seems a bit all on one level? It wasn't until Leaders that they really started to get some light and shade into their work.

• 5 months later...

So it appears they have a new EP called "Lost Worker Bee" out today. Anyone given it a spin yet? Surprisingly it doesn't have "What Time Do You Call This?" from the Simon Pegg film that came out recently. , I still can't decide if that was one of their best or one of their worst. 

So it appears they have a new EP called "Lost Worker Bee" out today. Anyone given it a spin yet? Surprisingly it doesn't have "What Time Do You Call This?" from the Simon Pegg film that came out recently. , I still can't decide if that was one of their best or one of their worst. 

What Time You Call This is the worst thing they've released. Awful.