The Elbow Excitement Thread!

ThomThomDrum

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scattered Black and Whites has regularly been appearing in recent setlists. That, on its own, is enough for me.

Yeah, was the highlight of the Jodrell Bank set, although admittedly, that's some time ago now.

I never thought fireworks could drift into the sky so slowly and gracefully.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the iTunes festival performance, it's showing lthe full set until 31st October. Wonderful stuff, a great performance, and stunning versions of great Expectiations and Scattered Bkanck and Whites - they are the only pre SSK tracks they play, but the rest sound great still, even though we have heard them loads over the last few years.

Still wondering whether to get tickets for one of their shows in London, not many tickets left. They have said they will be playing some oldies, and I really am wondering whether these will be their last ever live performances.....?

• 3 months later...

Shitty shit. Seems from recent facebook clips that Elbow will be playing the likes of Powder Blue, Newborn and Any Day Now to name a few, at the forthcoming gigs in February

... Need to get a ticket now. Fingers crossed Garveys voice can cope these days, his first attempt at Newborn after 8 years needed some work!

Won't be surprised if thies are the last gigs they ever play

I would love to see therm one more time at Glasto doing the oldies. They have been 'on the gravy train' a bit since they appeared in 2008 - it would be great to see them playing the stuff they wrote 2004 and earlier again. Saying that, their 2008 queens head set was the best gig I have ever been to. It's a bit hazy but I think they had a few oldies that evening, I remember feeling a bit in awe that evening, there were people welling up in that tent that night. And I wasn't on the booze because I had to drive home that night, straight after the wondrous performance from the Verve that night

I'm regretting not getting tickets to Manchester now. I thought I was finished with them but that last album grew on me towards the end of the year. Whilst they're still great live, their setlists have been far too boring in recent tours, its good to see them mix it up a bit.

I'm sure I read that they're recording stuff again, but that Guy is doing a solo album first. A hiatus wouldn't be too bad a thing to be honest.

I'm regretting not getting tickets to Manchester now. I thought I was finished with them but that last album grew on me towards the end of the year. Whilst they're still great live, their setlists have been far too boring in recent tours, its good to see them mix it up a bit.

I'm sure I read that they're recording stuff again, but that Guy is doing a solo album first. A hiatus wouldn't be too bad a thing to be honest.

http://www.qthemusic.com/7890/elbows-guy-garvey-making-a-solo-album-was-terrifying-q343-preview/

This makes it sound a bit like Guy's finished his album, wasn't expecting anything from him for a while.

• 5 weeks later...

The set lists they've been playing for these shows have been great. Listening to their Hammersmith show live on the radio. They just played 'Newborn' it sounded fantastic, gave me goosebumps.

Would never happen, but I'd love them to bring this type of thing to Glastonbury.

without sounding like a hipster, i love their first few albums

Listened to the Hammersmith set on the radio last night, I was a little disappointed to be honest. The set did have a few oldies, Swithing Off sounded particularly great, any day now and newborn (I thought Guy struggled a bit on the high notes to be honest) and a few others, but they seem to have dropped Powder Blue since the first gig, any ideas why, could Guy struggle during the first performance? I thought it could, and should have had more oldies in it as they were promoting the gigs as such. What did it sound like live, it was difficult to get that excited listening to it on the radio? Perhaps I am just jealous i didn't have a ticket!

I think they just mixed up some of the older songs. We got Switching Off last Friday and Station Approach on Sunday. I was surprised they played quite so many "staples" and didn't mix it up more.

The fact that Bitten By The Tailfly and Take Off And Landing were both utterly brilliant and that The Birds just seems to get bigger and bigger every time they play it speaks volumes to me of the depth of the band and their strength as a band. Bloody brilliant.

... fugitive Motel sounded great as well

I am interested about Powder Blie though, I might be wrong but I only think they played that at the first gig and not since. If it still sounded great then they wouldn't surely have dropped it, it's probably one of their greatest, and most missed songs. They seem to be playing Newborn, Any day now and Fugitive Motel at all the gigs as far as I can tell

No Scattered Black and Whites either, although they have been playing that occasionally during the last few tours anyway