Nick Cave

Midnight Man

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I thought all the screenings were sold out though? But I guess there are new screenings to think of.

You're probably right about the touring - and it's not like he's shared away from personal tragedy etc in his work before, whether live or recorded, although probably not quite on this level.

I hope they do tour. Feels ages since I saw them. Last thing I saw was that Sick Bag thing last summer and the last gig must have been... surely not Koko?

I think only the popular locations are sold out (eg the barbican). I just clicked on a couple of random london cinemas and some of them seem to have only sold literally only 5 or 6 tickets!

Yeah must be koko, 3 years ago, fuck! No wait, wasnt there that nick cave solo gig at the RHA? that was after koko I'm sure.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

I think only the popular locations are sold out (eg the barbican). I just clicked on a couple of random london cinemas and some of them seem to have only sold literally only 5 or 6 tickets!

Yeah must be koko, 3 years ago, fuck! No wait, wasnt there that nick cave solo gig at the RHA? that was after koko I'm sure.

Ah yes, you're right. That was in the summer so maybe summer of 2015? Still feels ages ago. And I was up in the gods. 

32 minutes ago, russycarps said:

This does seem to be the case Russy, I looked at the 3 nearest venues to me and none of them had sold even half the tickets so I think the releasing of the track is as you say to drum up more publicity, if not necessarily for the movie then definitely for the album.

9 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

This does seem to be the case Russy, I looked at the 3 nearest venues to me and none of them had sold even half the tickets so I think the releasing of the track is as you say to drum up more publicity, if not necessarily for the movie then definitely for the album.

I just clicked on watford and they've sold 4 tickets! 

I might try and track down a cinema that has sold none at all and watch the film stark bollock naked. I imagine that would be very liberating.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just now, russycarps said:

I just clicked on watford and they've sold 4 tickets! 

I might try and track down a cinema that has sold none at all and watch the film stark bollock naked. I imagine that would be very liberating.

Ha nice!

I think part of the problem is that a lot of those cinemas are crappy Odeons and Vues and the like. It sort of doesn't fit with the whole Nick Cave ethos.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ha nice!

I think part of the problem is that a lot of those cinemas are crappy Odeons and Vues and the like. It sort of doesn't fit with the whole Nick Cave ethos.

Yeah good point. The fancy picturehouse I'm going to only has 5 tickets left, all the crappy ones on the front row.

• Downvote 1

loving the new track. You can really feel his pain. I'm kinda looking forward to but NOT looking forward to some live dates being announced - I can imagine touring this album will be painful for him.

Would love a Glasto repeat this year though. And I agree. Let him headline the Park, or JP - something like that. Much better suited to the dark.

11 hours ago, mungo57 said:

loving the new track. You can really feel his pain. I'm kinda looking forward to but NOT looking forward to some live dates being announced - I can imagine touring this album will be painful for him.

Would love a Glasto repeat this year though. And I agree. Let him headline the Park, or JP - something like that. Much better suited to the dark.

He's subbed the Pyramid twice, you'd think he could headline Other for sure. 

10 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

I agree, but I was going by the crowd for the Pyramid the year he was on before Mumfords. Loads of room to stand and I got the impression most that were there were just waiting for Mumfords - I figured he may struggle on Other with numbers.
Then again judging by the pathetic crowd LCD got last year that wouldn't matter :P

I think he's actually subbed the Pyramid three times? Always on a Sunday. Older veterans than me will know better, mind.

I used to always bitch about the fact he was on in the daytime, wanting them to headline a smaller stage, but I'm not so sure now. They absolutely smashed it in 2013 and it was one of the best times I've seen them, actively feeding off the apathy and bewilderment of the Mumfords crowd. It seems to be Nick's slot somehow.

I mean, where would they go? The Park is too small, JP might just work... I'm not a fan of Other generally but I suppose that would be the logical place. But maybe they don't fancy it and would rather be on Pyramid.

10 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Thrice, maybe 4 times - I'm not sure if he subbed the Pyramid in 1994. But every other time he's subbed on the Sunday.

Not sure if there's anything to that, maybe he likes that position on the bill...

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think he's actually subbed the Pyramid three times? Always on a Sunday. Older veterans than me will know better, mind.

I used to always bitch about the fact he was on in the daytime, wanting them to headline a smaller stage, but I'm not so sure now. They absolutely smashed it in 2013 and it was one of the best times I've seen them, actively feeding off the apathy and bewilderment of the Mumfords crowd. It seems to be Nick's slot somehow.

I mean, where would they go? The Park is too small, JP might just work... I'm not a fan of Other generally but I suppose that would be the logical place. But maybe they don't fancy it and would rather be on Pyramid.

I actually don't think the Park is too small.

Just now, majormajormajor said:

I actually don't think the Park is too small.

Hmm, maybe not. I just think back to how rammed it was for Pulp and Radiohead back in 2011 and I'm not sure it would work. You get some terrible sound bleed from the other venues when you're near the back. 

Have many Pyramid subs headlined the Park in the past?

Only other place I can see them playing that isn't Pyramid sub is JP headliner. Other just doesn't seem a good fit anymore but I reckon they could just about be considered the right size for JP after Sigur Ros this year 

That said, if they end up playing any festivals I think a Latitude headline slot is more likely than Glastonbury again

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hmm, maybe not. I just think back to how rammed it was for Pulp and Radiohead back in 2011 and I'm not sure it would work. You get some terrible sound bleed from the other venues when you're near the back. 

Have many Pyramid subs headlined the Park in the past?

Yeah for all the love it gets, the Park Stage fills up terribly easy, the hill makes it the worst place for a dense crowd and, as you say, if you're on the outskirts of said crowd then you're closer to Stonebridge so you hear that instead. So yeah, let's keep bigger acts on bigger stages.

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Honestly I reckon he'll sub the Other PJ style if he's back this year. Great artist but he's clearly been playing way too high slots in the past and should probably take a step down. JP headline is also an option but I reckon he'll be better off on the big stage.

sometimes bands are placed on merit, not based on their popularity among the brain dead masses. Thank god nick cave and the bad seeds are still one of them. PJ Harvey should have got that slot last year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

sometimes bands are placed on merit, not based on their popularity among the brain dead masses. Thank god nick cave and the bad seeds are still one of them. PJ Harvey should have got that slot last year.

I guess that's right considering the placing Beck got but considering the crowd he got, PJ was fine where she was.

30 minutes ago, russycarps said:

sometimes bands are placed on merit, not based on their popularity among the brain dead masses. Thank god nick cave and the bad seeds are still one of them. PJ Harvey should have got that slot last year

Perhaps true but would you really rather see Nick Cave perform to a crowd of clueless Mumfords fans than to an appreciative crowd of his own fans?