Such Poor Sunday Headline acts (so far)

Guest timmy tugboat

Of course. It's the only taste I have!

I'd say that like most people who are passionate about music, I come across things I love, things I like, things that are OK but don't excite me and not often but occasionally - utter dross. By which I mean it's almost unlistenable and you can't perceive how anyone could get anything from it. I'd put The XX into this category and there isn't much else in there in my headspace.

Music to me should create mood, inspire emotion or make you want to move to it. The XX for don't do any of this. It's just like really dull background noise.

Headlining a stage after only 2 albums doesn't really seem right to me either. I know Pulp did it (sort of) and Arctic Monkeys did too, but they exploded into popular/mainstream music in a way that doesn't happen often - I suppose much like M&S have done now. Are the XX such an internationally celebrated success. I would say probably not.

Again, I realise that this is all highly subjective and just my opinion but I'm still surprised that I appear to be the only one.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlining a stage after only 2 albums doesn't really seem right to me either. I know Pulp did it (sort of) and Arctic Monkeys did too, but they exploded into popular/mainstream music in a way that doesn't happen often - I suppose much like M&S have done now. Are the XX such an internationally celebrated success. I would say probably not.

Again, I realise that this is all highly subjective and just my opinion but I'm still surprised that I appear to be the only one.

Edited by RebeccaD

Have to say none of the Sunday headliners float my boat at the moment. I actually really like Phoenix on album but caught part of their set in 2010 and wasn't overly impressed with them live.

Something interesting will turn up though, it always does.

A few years ago we were faced with the same problem, nobody my wife and I wanted to see so we split from our large group and just wandered around the site. We saw some fantastic sights and ended up in a tent with a couple of shroom heads drinking tea and eating cake. It was a pretty magical night to be honest and one we still talk about.

The xx are definitely headlining. it's odd that they'd be put up against Mumfords as i'm sure they'll share a bit of a crossover fan base, but they'll draw an absolutely huge crowd, and can only really play in the dark, and are unarguably a bigger draw than the Pumpkins (and Portishead - who's crowd i feel will be thin at best)

Everyone saying that the XX are a band only for small venues, and that they wont be able to make use of the other stage, rubbish! Saw them subbing mainstage at Bestival last year and one of the most incredible, emotional gigs I've ever seen. I can't think of anywhere they'd be better suited than at a fetsival in a big field. Just my opinion

Edited by Hurricanes

Everyone saying that the XX are a band only for small venues, and that they wont be able to make use of the other stage, rubbish! Saw them subbing mainstage at Bestival last year and one of the most incredible, emotional gigs I've ever seen. I can't think of anywhere they'd be better suited than at a fetsival in a big field. Just my opinion

There's been a lot of headliner bashing on here - this thread particularly - but am I the only one who thinks the XX are fucking boring tripe and their choice as a headliner is probably the biggest joke of the festival? I'm astonished, genuinely astonished that people can even listen to them!

I agree that the Sunday does on the face of it look like one of the weakest days in recent times. There's virtually nothing I'm excited about act wise. I'll probably end up bimbling round the bars, circus, cabaret, greenfields and Shangri La. Which actually sounds fucking ace.