The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

Was lucky enough to get some Hunters Wellies a few years back for a birthday present. I'd have not bothered buying them myself going for the cheapest I could find normally. But I could walk comfortably for miles in them so I was converted - not so much so that I want to fork out for Hunters prices now that they are cracked to bits.

Can anyone recommend any comfortable wellies that come in at a sensible price tag please (or point me in the right direction if discussed already on this site)

ta

23 minutes ago, Soulphuric said:

Was lucky enough to get some Hunters Wellies a few years back for a birthday present. I'd have not bothered buying them myself going for the cheapest I could find normally. But I could walk comfortably for miles in them so I was converted - not so much so that I want to fork out for Hunters prices now that they are cracked to bits.

Can anyone recommend any comfortable wellies that come in at a sensible price tag please (or point me in the right direction if discussed already on this site)

ta

You can sometimes find Hunters at Tk Maxx - I got a pair there a few years ago or eBay? 

• Like 1

After years of hiking/outdoors stuff/camping, my top recommendations are:

Wellies- Muckboots (V comfy)

Hiking boots- Hi-Tec (unless you have narrow feet, mine are Hobbit like).

A jacket that covers your arse.

Proofing everything with Nikwax.

Wide brimmed waterproof hat. Especially if you wear specs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Soulphuric said:

ta

I've walked at least 500 miles in these this winter but they're obviously not very tall if that's what you're after

https://www.asos.com/barbour/barbour-nimbus-wellington-chelsea-boots-in-olive/prd/200605377?currencyid=1&browsecountry=GB&affid=28280&_CjwKCAjwrcKxBhBMEiwAIVF8rED6Zy6gkmCMbZKaERO11FeG_WXS6osJ8inAnKZVkiAC7uqe2QyqOhoC6akQAvD_BwE&channelref=product+search&ppcadref=20546713158||&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcKxBhBMEiwAIVF8rED6Zy6gkmCMbZKaERO11FeG_WXS6osJ8inAnKZVkiAC7uqe2QyqOhoC6akQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On 4/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, Simsy said:

I have 1 and think it's great, but my husband hates it & much prefers just a mat. Would definitely recommend trying it out at home to see if it works for you.

Only downside for me is it's heavy and needs a massive pump.

I bought them for the festival last year. Pumped them at home (without the recommended pump) and they just wouldn't get solid enough to use so returned them. 

They are also heavy. I stayed in love fields and could drive up to the tent so went for the solid fold out cots. Great fro Glasto but bloody awful for Kendal calling. SOOO Heavy, that the tent and everything else nearly killed me. Never again! 

I'm back to the mat or blow up mattress as I'm back in general camping this year

On 4/28/2024 at 11:09 AM, sedra said:

Has anyone used these from Decathlon? I struggle to get up off floor these days so thought this might work for me better

IMG_2494.png

Just got this and a 16cm SIM, going for ultimate comfort this year (and 3 trips to the car potentially).

On the hunt for light camping chairs and a decent cool box/bag if anyone's got decent recommendations.

No car as train down and bus back but staying in Sticklinch so no tent to carry.

Options on Amazon either seem to be too cheap to be anyway decent or very expensive for the cool box/bag.

11 minutes ago, Witness said:

On the hunt for light camping chairs and a decent cool box/bag if anyone's got decent recommendations.

No car as train down and bus back but staying in Sticklinch so no tent to carry.

Options on Amazon either seem to be too cheap to be anyway decent or very expensive for the cool box/bag.

I bought a lightweight fold up chair at Costco last year, no idea of the make/model or anything though.

3 hours ago, Witness said:

I recently got one of these - it's really terrifically small when packed up, and pretty light. It remains to be seen how sturdy it is (available at a similar price from eBay and Homebase).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1K6B5WM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Witness said:

Coolman xtreme cool box has been good for us. Im not sure if it will be too big for the train though. If you can pop something reflective over the top, if its hot, as this seems to help. x

14 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

Coolman xtreme cool box has been good for us. Im not sure if it will be too big for the train though. If you can pop something reflective over the top, if its hot, as this seems to help. x

ive used a couple of space blankets over my cheap Asda one .... still a bit of ice left on the Sunday 

15 hours ago, Looother said:

I recently got one of these - it's really terrifically small when packed up, and pretty light. It remains to be seen how sturdy it is (available at a similar price from eBay and Homebase).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1K6B5WM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If that had a drink holder it would be perfect!! Looking similar but with holder. 

On 5/1/2024 at 1:33 PM, Witness said:

Used one of these last year https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-flexible-cooler-25-l-preserves-cold-for-15-hours/_/R-p-310479?mc=8572257&c=frozen green with the waterproof liner - froze water in a large Tupperware box to make a giant ice cube and stuffed some scrunched up space blankets inside plus one over the top. Worked really well. Also great for return journey as just empty out the water and squish down and it’s very light. Which is a bonus for the post Glasto return journey!

On 4/29/2024 at 9:17 AM, Cuban Pete said:

Aldi has its camping special buys beginning on the 12th May, if anyone’s after anything.

My local Aldi has started getting bits in now. I’ve picked up a tent lantern which doubles up as a torch for £4.99. A bit on the flimsy side but it’s bright, decent for the price

7 hours ago, Another eforum account said:

Used one of these last year https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-flexible-cooler-25-l-preserves-cold-for-15-hours/_/R-p-310479?mc=8572257&c=frozen green with the waterproof liner - froze water in a large Tupperware box to make a giant ice cube and stuffed some scrunched up space blankets inside plus one over the top. Worked really well. Also great for return journey as just empty out the water and squish down and it’s very light. Which is a bonus for the post Glasto return journey!

This looks ideal. Debated whether or not to take a cool bag this year as it’s just me going down with Oxfam but might treat myself! 😊 amazing idea with the Tupperware how long did it stay cold for?

Any decent rucksack recommendations?

I've still got the same one from the mid 90s (!) and its starting to give up so looking to replace it this summer.

Like ones with plenty of pockets and I'm 6ft2 if knowing that makes any difference.  Happy to splash out on something decent if this one lasts me nearly 30 years like my current one has!

16 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Any decent rucksack recommendations?

I've still got the same one from the mid 90s (!) and its starting to give up so looking to replace it this summer.

Like ones with plenty of pockets and I'm 6ft2 if knowing that makes any difference.  Happy to splash out on something decent if this one lasts me nearly 30 years like my current one has!

Day bags or full size ones? I would recommend osprey for both - I really like their air frame backs 

• Thanks 1