The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

5 hours ago, big__phil said:

Cheers, good to know. One of my main draws is the ability to not only listen to vinyl-only releases, but convert them for when I'm out and about, and also sharing this music with friends.

Is it possible to record out the preamp, rather than the USB? Does anyone do either of these? (Apologies for my lack of knowledge, and general naivety!)

It's possible, but such a massive pain in the arse when you could just download it.

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

My advice would be if you need to convert to FLAC/MP3, go find a torrent to download instead that's been ripped from CD.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's possible, but such a massive pain in the arse when you could just download it.

Cheers for the responses all, but my my concern is for vinyl-only releases, where the music isn't released digitally at all. Grated there aren't too many of these, but they do pop up every now and again.

Anyway I think I'm looking at the LP5 now. Just need to pluck up the courage to part with all that cash!

16 hours ago, Mardy said:

Got that Solange album today, along with Car Seat Headrest, Underworld (2nd toughest in the infants) and Badly Drawn Boy (Bewilderbeast). Last records i'll get until i'm back in June

Enjoy! My fave album of last year.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Cheers for the responses all, but my my concern is for vinyl-only releases, where the music isn't released digitally at all. Grated there aren't too many of these, but they do pop up every now and again.

it might not be released that way, but someone else is bound to have made a digital copy - which will save you the trouble of doing it yourself.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its not worth sacrificing a good turntable for. 

ie fairly sub standard audio just so you can rip the very odd release that may already be available elsewhere? Nah. 

OK, I hears ya. The LP5 has got some decent reviews though...I don't really want to spend more than £400. Suggestions for a good all-rounder at this sort of price?

30 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I'm surprised how good the reviews are for that LP5. I reckon we might have been overhasty in writing it off. Me, i'd go for a Rega or a Pro-ject, but looking at this, maybe that LP5 is not such a bad option

http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp5/review

Certainly looks good alright. Pricey enough though compared to others. I'm perfectly happy with my setup now. Project Essential, Marantz PM5005 and Wharfdale 9.1 speakers. Have it hooked up to the turntable obviously, also the sky box and the PC under the telly. 

Neighbours love me I reckon. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I'm surprised how good the reviews are for that LP5. I reckon we might have been overhasty in writing it off. Me, i'd go for a Rega or a Pro-ject, but looking at this, maybe that LP5 is not such a bad option

http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp5/review

Phew. AV Forums were also pretty generous in their review as well, so I think this'll be the one I go for. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Certainly looks good alright. Pricey enough though compared to others. I'm perfectly happy with my setup now. Project Essential, Marantz PM5005 and Wharfdale 9.1 speakers. Have it hooked up to the turntable obviously, also the sky box and the PC under the telly. 

Neighbours love me I reckon. 

Nice set up. Mine will sit on top of my Cambridge Audio Azur 651A amp, playing out of my Dali Zensor speakers. Not the biggest speakers in the world, but I like the detail.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Phew. AV Forums were also pretty generous in their review as well, so I think this'll be the one I go for. 

Nice set up. Mine will sit on top of my Cambridge Audio Azur 651A amp, playing out of my Dali Zensor speakers. Not the biggest speakers in the world, but I like the detail.

Oooh nice. I had a bog standard Cambridge that I just upgraded to the Marantz from. The Cambridge I had performed fairly poorly at low volumes and had no remote which turned out to be a pain in the arse.

Interested to see how you get on with the LP5!

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've just bought car seat headrest too! Along with pavements slanted and enchanted and angel Olsen which was first one I put on. Sounds beautiful! Once again thanks efestivals for pointing me to an artist that would half otherwise probably passed me by. 

Car seat headrest going on next. 

I just got my hands on Car seat headrest yesterday to, weird. I should have had it about 2 months ago as I had it ordered from 2 different independent record shops then both let me know after a few weeks they were out of stock but more would be coming then said they couldn't get anymore so refunded me. The wife was ordering some bits from amazon and asked if I needed anything, she very nicely ordered it for me. Will give it a listen tonight whilst watching the footy

Have just upgraded my stylus to an Ortofon 2M Blue and am absolutely astounded by how good it sounds straight away. So much crisper and cleaner than it was before (2M red). My first 2 listens have been Bonobo - Black Sands and Sigur Ros - Takk. Should probably be going to bed soon but I just want to stay up and listen to records all night! 

Forgot about the vinyl thread!

This last month I have had a plethora of vinyl given to me for Christmas and I have also bought some with Christmas money and I am off to collect the new Flaming Lips (with free poster from Banquet Records) this morning.

New albums:

- Wish you were here and The Wall by Floyd

- Affinity by Haken (love the rough card gatefold as opposed to standard glossy, really goes with the theme of the album)

- Lamb lies down by Genesis (my gf's dad's fave LP of all time, I've always liked it but never bought it, he got it for me for Christmas and I've been obsessing)

- Urban Hymns by The Verve (gf got it for me as I refused to pay £28 for it and its probably my favourite 'britpop' album bar A Northern Soul)

- Disintegration by The Cure

Thinking of upgrading my stylus in the new year - I have a Pioneer PL900 I think it is TT and I wanted to start making my system my own. Happy with my Q Acoustics speakers but the stylus is next on my list to be purchased. Any recommendations? I looked at the TT manual and it describes the tone arm/stylus as 'Universal' so I'd imagine most stylii would fit.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Wish you were here sounds amazing on vinyl! Umming and arring about whether to get flaming lips new one yet as I'm January skint and already got to collect a copy of Carrie & Lowell I've ordered and not yet paid for.

Got an original Sabbath Vol 4 with swirly label for Chrimbo. Well chuffed as I think the kids don't say anymore.  

You ain't wrong there. Them 2 completed my classic line up Floyd collection, sounds so much better than CD or digital.

I am a bit Jan skint but I love the Lips and couldn't resist with the lure of the free poster so I went for it. That and I want to play it a few times before I go to the gig next Sat :)