The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I bought some new speakers for my place in Russia, absolute beasts ( Wharfedale diamonds 240 ) and now my uk ones sound massively underwhelming

Christ they're huge. I've a pair of Wharfdales, not that massive though, but the sound is top top stuff.  

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Christ they're huge. I've a pair of Wharfdales, not that massive though, but the sound is top top stuff.  

I got some small wharfedales here, but frankly, they ain't cutting it. I'd ship mine back from Moscow but they're the best part of 50kg

10 hours ago, Mardy said:

I bought some new speakers for my place in Russia, absolute beasts ( Wharfedale diamonds 240 ) and now my uk ones sound massively underwhelming

Those speakers are outrageous. WTF mate, 'king space shuttle would sound massively underwhelming next to 'em.

21 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Son is getting floor-standing speakers for Christmas. Up until now he's listened to all his music through headphones. Luckily, for the most part, he has pretty good taste in music so it shouldn't be too bad but he is getting a couple of Radiohead albums :(. Mother, the soundproofing!

Watch it, Gnom, it starts with buying a few Radiohead albums, then he starts making lists, and before you know it he ends up on here. Keep an eye on him.

42 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Watch it, Gnom, it starts with buying a few Radiohead albums, then he starts making lists, and before you know it he ends up on here. Keep an eye on him.

Oh God, no!

He's started coming to Glastonbury so I can't call people c**ts when I'm there, he's started following me on Twitter so I've had to stop calling people c**ts on there, this is my last bastion. 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Anyhoo... listening to You Want It Darker for the 3rd time today. Beautiful. 

I gave that a spin this afternoon, great, obviously, but, i'll be honest, a bit of a downer for a family boxing day tea

Earler today i had a first play of both James Blake's album from earlier this year and Lambchop's FLOTUS. Two tremendous records that sounded fucking incredible as i was slumped on the sofa with a book of classic detective stories. #goodtimes

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Bit of a sale on at Rough Trade.

ah, these were all on sale at Rise music yesterday, free shipping over 60 quid and a 10% discount with a code.

I got

Alexis Taylor - Piano

M83 - Junk

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

Julia Holter - To have you in my wilderness

Arc Iris - Arc Iris

Hercules and Love affair - The Feast of the Broken Heart

All in, £61.30

Just had a closer look, not all the same, some nice stuff at that RT one too. Thanks, dental

Edited by Mardy

Currently giving that Dylan 66 RAH show a play. Phenomenal stuff. What it must have been like to be there, eh? You can keep your Woodstocks, your Isle of Whites, Hendrix, your Bowie at Glastonbury, Beatles on the rooftop etc, I'd taken Dylan on that 66 tour as the one to see.

Went and sniffed around the sales today

Picked up Good Kid m.A.A.d City because it's essential and I'm quite embarrased I didn't have it on wax until now. Just finished side A, sounding perf :)

Also got Shaking The Habitual by The Knife. I've got every other Knife record on vinyl apart from this one, didn't bother because I found it a bit noodly in places, makes the bangers a bit hard to get to, but how could I say no to a 3 disc LP including 2 CDs and 2 posters for a tenner? Amazing value, snapped it up, maybe I'll find new appreciation for it, it's probably 100% brilliant and I'm a massive dilettante who needs to be shown the error of his ways.

Then got The Antlers live in London for a fiver. I'm a big fan of Hospice but not much beyond that, and seeing The Antlers at Green Man on the same tour is one of the most remarkably boring gigs I've ever seen, but it was a whole 12" LP for a fiver!

Right, so scruffy is going to hate this, but I'm home, I've unpacked and listened to all my vinyl I'd ordered over the last few months,  spent the Christmas period listening to it  (My holidays are fucking wonderful, pile of vinyl, stack of detective novels, tea, cheese and christmas chocolates, happy as Larry, you vcan stuff your travelling/tourism malarkey)

Anyway, I'm not feeling the love for both the Cohen and the Nick cave, I'm sure they're important works, I'm sure, like Molesworth says, they're 'advanced, forthright and signifficant' but there's not a tune on any of them that's got inside me. The James Blake, on the other hand, has been an absolute revelation, as had Lambchop's FLOTUS. Both beautiful beautiful albums.

Just now, Wooderson said:

Tower in Dublin still tempting me with the Dead 10xVinylbox. I only have to put on This is the Kit's take on "Jack a Roe" to make me YEARN for it again however...

It's a beautiful object. I didn't dare open it for a week, couldn't bring myself to unseal it. But I finally did, yesterday. 

A fella on the 'Now Playing' fb group sumed it up, "20 of the songs are great, 20 are pretty good and 20 are fucking unlistenable". But you know, for me, the hits on it massively outweigh the misses.

Thing is, I'm going back to Moscow on Saturday, no way I'm lugging that back with me, so it'll just go on the shelf till summer. Pisses me off, but I keep telling myself it's alright, vinyl doesn't have a 'best before' date.