The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I"m also proper excited about the new 50 song Magnetic fields thing out in a couple of months, and also the first Dylan Bootleg thing (Vols 1-3) being reissued on vinyl at the end of Jan. Absolutely fucking essential purchase

Edited by Mardy

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I don't hate it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. You keep spinning that second vaccine's album, whilst the rest of us listen to 2016's throwaway works of Bowie, Cohen and Cave contemplating their mortality and that of their offspring. 

(How can you listen to I need you, leaving the table or distant sky and and not feel it? You got a heart of stone?)

I understand they are important works, but you know, where are the tunes? Say what you like about that vaccines second album, but it's jam-packed full of things to hum as I go about my day. That Nick Cave, especially, just doesn't seem to have anything to hook me. I've gone back to Henry's Dream, Murder Ballads and Boatman's call and they're, I dunno, just better for me.Things I can get a handle on. I also couldn't get on with push the sky away, so I dunno who's changed, me or him. (It's me, it's definitely me)

On 12/30/2016 at 8:11 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Depends how ethical you wanna be. You won't find many cheaper than amazon for new stuff, but I tend to use piccadilly records or crash records online as they're independants or walk to my local indy . For old originals, ebay is decent, just make sure you're buying from someone who obviously sells a fair few and knows what they're talking about when describing condition. Wouldn't buy anything online that had the vinyl graded anything less than ex- or vg+. (If you need this explaining more, give me a shout but no point going into it if you're buying new). 

Is this for a present, or are you joining the revolution?

Ta mate.

I have not joined the revolution yet...but a close friend has and I'm thinking I'll buy a couple of my favourite albums and go round there for a listen whenever I please, and if my ears are still good enough to notice a big difference I'll take the plunge myself.

I am just wary of buying the wrong stuff, as I recall you (or someone) saying that some new vinyl is actually worse than a CD. 

Now for example she wants to get astral weeks (good choice). (I know you hate amazon but please allow me to link to there just as an example of my helplessness). On amazon there are 3 vinyl versions. How the frig do you know which one will sound best? I have read the comments and someone says the japanese remaster is very good. How can I tell if it's the best? Should I always get the remastered version if there is one? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astral-Weeks-VINYL-Van-Morrison/dp/B014X538PQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1483439942&sr=1-4&keywords=astral+weeks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astral-Weeks-Van-Morrison/dp/B00171LFFK/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1483439942&sr=1-5&keywords=astral+weeks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/Astral-Weeks-VINYL-Van-Morrison/B001DPC4RS/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1483439942&sr=1-6&keywords=astral+weeks

Cheers fellas, much appreciated! This has all been really really helpful. The worrying thing is just this short conversation has really made me want to get involved...there is something very appealing about owning the original 60s (or whenever) stuff too. 

Looks like bankruptcy awaits!

Just now, Mardy said:

Loads of second hand stuff is massively overpriced, especially stuff from the 80s. Prince second hand stuff at record fairs etc is mental. Cheaper to buy a better quality reissue. 

As long at the plant and source check out, fine. I'm not gonna drop 300 blips on a MOFI Sea Change when the latest repress is satisfactory for 30 quid.

I can understand paying lots of money for original pressings if that's your bag, but there's a lot of shitty pressings from the 70s/80s done on poor quality vinyl where you're better off buying the recent reissue

The real problem is finding stuff from the late 90s/early 2000s that often wasn't ever released on vinyl. No choice but to go for the modern pressing.

And not all originals are that good, really. Mass market stuff, flogged in Woolworths or whatever. Shitty reused vinyl and crappy quality covers. Original is not always the best 

Given the number of records I've had to send back (flaws acknowledged by the label e.g.: the recent pressing of Physical Graffiti) I'm less confident in the current pressing culture/tech. I won't buy second hand unless its in super nick. As I mentioned above, thats what Spotify is for. The whole pleasure of vinyl is taken away when a pressing is in bits/sub par quality. The amount of non-fill problems I've experienced is huge. Pure laziness/shortcuts from overworked machinery and pressing teams. You learn to avoid certain factories. Lots of US pressing places are dire fr'instance.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Given the number of records I've had to send back (flaws acknowledged by the label e.g.: the recent pressing of Physical Graffiti) I'm less confident in the current pressing culture/tech. I won't buy second hand unless its in super nick. As I mentioned above, thats what Spotify is for. The whole pleasure of vinyl is taken away when a pressing is in bits/sub par quality. The amount of non-fill problems I've experienced is huge. Pure laziness/shortcuts from overworked machinery and pressing teams. You learn to avoid certain factories. Lots of US pressing places are dire fr'instance.

Yep, this also true. It's a victim of its own success. The vinyl revival (dread phrase) means the few remaining pressing plants are massively overworked and not enough time is spent on checking quality. There are certain labels/reissue series I won't touch with a bargepole 

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yep, this also true. It's a victim of its own success. The vinyl revival (dread phrase) means the few remaining pressing plants are massively overworked and not enough time is spent on checking quality. There are certain labels/reissue series I won't touch with a bargepole 

Correct.

Im not like some naysayers in that the vast majority of repressings have worked out for me. But there are some that fall flat on their face. Even with certain trusted labels like Rhino.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

@russycarps if you want convincing it's worth it, get Iggy Pop's last album, Neil Young live at the Cellar Door or You want it Darker as one of your first. (Or Bill Ryder-Jones' last one but can't remember if you like him). Would be shocked if one of those doesn't convince you 

God, I love that Bill Ryder Jones record. What a fucking beautiful thing it is.

48 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Some remastered records are just taken from digital copies Russy, so I would disagree with Nal completely here. 

Well then they're not a decent remaster! 

Remastering from CD is dogshit. Sadly as the "vinyl revival" continues we're going to see much more of it.

Personally, I love buying 2nd hand vinyl for a quid here and there. If its shite then so be it but a couple of the best sounding records I've ever bought have been from the fag end of a record fair bucket and cost a couple of quid.

I'll defy anyone though to match the shitty quality on my copy of Appetite for Destruction. Embarrassing for all concerned. The record company, the factory, the band, myself, my extended family and the cat. 

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

Hi everyone. I'm getting the itch to finally buy myself a turntable, and am after a bit of advice. I need something that can also record digitally, which will end up on my iPod for when I'm out and about.

Recommendations of turntables and recording software (and anything else, for that matter) much appreciated.

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Hi everyone. I'm getting the itch to finally buy myself a turntable, and am after a bit of advice. I need something that can also record digitally, which will end up on my iPod for when I'm out and about.

Recommendations of turntables and recording software (and anything else, for that matter) much appreciated.

Thanks!!

My advice would be if you really need to convert to FLAC/MP3, go for an LP120.

In general however, most of the players with USB are gash.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

My advice would be if you really need to convert to FLAC/MP3, go for an LP120.

In general however, most of the players with USB are gash.

Cheers, good to know. One of my main draws is the ability to not only listen to vinyl-only releases, but convert them for when I'm out and about, and also sharing this music with friends.

Is it possible to record out the preamp, rather than the USB? Does anyone do either of these? (Apologies for my lack of knowledge, and general naivety!)

14 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Cheers, good to know. One of my main draws is the ability to not only listen to vinyl-only releases, but convert them for when I'm out and about, and also sharing this music with friends.

Is it possible to record out the preamp, rather than the USB? Does anyone do either of these? (Apologies for my lack of knowledge, and general naivety!)

Suppose you could from the amp via USB/RCA to something that would record. But its unnecessary hassle IMO. Keep digital and vinyl separate. 

Would recommend Spotify. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Suppose you could from the amp via USB/RCA to something that would record. But its unnecessary hassle IMO. Keep digital and vinyl separate. 

Would recommend Spotify. 

Fiddlesticks. Might have to do some more research into this then.

Thanks, but I really don't like Spotify, for a few different reasons. Much prefer physical ownership, if possible.

Pretty much all new vinyl will come with a download code.

or, if you order it from Amazon, you automatically get a digital version of it on the Amazon music player 

but Nal is right, buy the vinyl, and also use Spotify for the digital version of it.