The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

If they're in a room thats dusty (I've a fireplace in mine) then try keep them in something like Scruff posted or in a "unit" with doors etc. At a minimum, try not to store them with the open side facing up. 

A brush, even a cheapo one like this

pfanstiehl-black-velvet-vinyl-lp-record-

And a cleaning solutions like Vinyl Revival for older records or anything other than dust. Skid marks, shite, jizz etc. 

99% sure they're just shitty pressings. It happens unfortunately. Shops will swap/give refunds for them.

Woodersons copy of Physical Graffiti sounded more like a bag of microwave popcorn on high heat than Led Zeppelin. 

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If they're new, I'd guess they're faulty. Especially if everything else plays spot on. Maybe google to see if there's a well known problem with a certain press of those albums or something?

@Wooderson is the king of returning dodgy vinyl round here so he may know what to look for?

Thanks guys but both started off fine and got worse after 1/2 plays.

strange. Shoulda also said they do the same on other TTs so it must be the records. 

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If they're new, I'd guess they're faulty. Especially if everything else plays spot on. Maybe google to see if there's a well known problem with a certain press of those albums or something?

@Wooderson is the king of returning dodgy vinyl round here so he may know what to look for?

@mungo57

Is it a "shssssssssssh" sound? If so then it might well be the problem called "non fill".

Make a quick vid and post it here I'm intrigued.

13 hours ago, Wooderson said:

@mungo57

Is it a "shssssssssssh" sound? If so then it might well be the problem called "non fill".

Make a quick vid and post it here I'm intrigued.

will do mate - I'll do tonight when I get home.

Randomly got caught up with some shit at work yesterday and ended up having to give a statement to Police or I'd have done it last night!

And yes, it is a kind of 'shhhhh' 'shhhhh' 'shhhhhh' sound that repeats in the background, really only affects the quiet parts but still affects the loud parts enough. I just found it weird that it played perfect at first and now refuses to cooperate. Thanks for the input Wooderson :)

14 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

will do mate - I'll do tonight when I get home.

Randomly got caught up with some shit at work yesterday and ended up having to give a statement to Police or I'd have done it last night!

And yes, it is a kind of 'shhhhh' 'shhhhh' 'shhhhhh' sound that repeats in the background, really only affects the quiet parts but still affects the loud parts enough. I just found it weird that it played perfect at first and now refuses to cooperate. Thanks for the input Wooderson :)

Non-fill I reckon mate. This 180g "heavyweight audiophile vinyl" trend is a load of malarkey. The thicker pressings are not given enough time to cool and set. They're half-finished, basically. Its bullshit.

I probably deviate slightly from others on here in that i do not tolerate pops/crackles/fuzz/sibilance etc. Fuck that with a tonearm.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Cheers. Have learned something today. I kneew 180g was only really marketing, (but they do feel good) but not heard of non-fill before. Done some googling and gonna check my Angel olson record when I get in cos something's not quite right about it and can't place it. 

These 180g pressings arent made with enough care so the stamper lifts some of the wax away when it presses the record.

Weighing up the Twin Peaks re-release 'cos it looks GORGEOUS but I've seen a few reviews saying the pressing is poor. It's not due out until next month so I'm guessing these reviews must be from an earlier US release, maybe? So, when it does get released over here, is it likely to be from the same batch or could it have changed?

screen-shot-2016-08-08-at-5-07-47-pm.png

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Weighing up the Twin Peaks re-release 'cos it looks GORGEOUS but I've seen a few reviews saying the pressing is poor. It's not due out until next month so I'm guessing these reviews must be from an earlier US release, maybe? So, when it does get released over here, is it likely to be from the same batch or could it have changed?

screen-shot-2016-08-08-at-5-07-47-pm.png

I saw something on one of the sites (maybe Norman Records) that seemed to indicate this was a new batch/pressing. February 11th release, I think

Also just to add my 2p about record cleaner: I prefer using a spectacle wipe (like the ones you get in a glasses case not the disposable ones) to wipe records clean. I find that the velvet brushes are a bit counter intuitive - they take up dust off the records and then when you clean the next record you end up depositing the dust from the brush back onto the record.

I was well pissed off with the record cleaner I bought from Banquet Records in Kingston - the cloth that came with it was a microfibre one that left more on the record than it removed! I took it in and showed them and they gave me my £ back. Damn good thing too!

5 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Non-fill I reckon mate. This 180g "heavyweight audiophile vinyl" trend is a load of malarkey. The thicker pressings are not given enough time to cool and set. They're half-finished, basically. Its bullshit.

I probably deviate slightly from others on here in that i do not tolerate pops/crackles/fuzz/sibilance etc. Fuck that with a tonearm.

Thanks - at least I can explain it now.

Both are new pressings but old in that I would have bought them about a year ago so I won't be able to return them.

Just looked it up online and I think thats pretty much explaining it. Also both are 180g so it makes sense.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/what-non-fill-looks#7cEFE0wYCKWiebjT.97

Edited by mungo57

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Textbook pressing error man. Sounds ghastly.

What really surprises me is that I've spun it a few times and it got like that rather than started like that.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Bloody hell. I haven't owt that sounds that bad. 

At least I know what to look out for now. Have been a bit paranoid that my ears not that good and I wouldn't pick up on being ripped off but I'd definitely notice that. 

Seems I've taken 1 for the team lol

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Picked up a few tasty numbers at a record fair today. Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins being the stand out.

Didn't know that was your bag. Loads of that type of stuff on old Russian pressings here, dirt cheap. I'll pick something up for you next time i go.