The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

Always preferred the piano stuff eastynh was at the zone a lot 91 and 92 but went to OZ a bit as well on central pier when Russ and Dick played the winter season on Saturday nights !

only problem I have with piano stuff from then these days I never find the version I loved or the drugs made it better lol 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I dunno. Do I?

No idea mate, hence why I asked. I thought I had seen you mention being in Moscow a few times now, or have I got that wrong? Just wondered if that is where you live. 

Edited by eastynh

15 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No idea mate, hence why I asked. I thought I had seen you mention being in Moscow a few times now, or have I got that wrong? Just wondered if that is where you live. 

Ah, sorry mate. Live, yeah, wasn't sure what you were asking. Yep, I live here most of the year, spend about 3-4 months back in the UK though, mainly over the summer. It's alright here , it's a job, but poxy for record buying.

3 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Latest purchases:

Stones - Beggars Banquet

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Avalanches - Wildflower

That avalanches record is great. Really grown on me, i played it at the weekend, starting to think it's a stone-cold classic

6 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Always preferred the piano stuff eastynh was at the zone a lot 91 and 92 but went to OZ a bit as well on central pier when Russ and Dick played the winter season on Saturday nights !

only problem I have with piano stuff from then these days I never find the version I loved or the drugs made it better lol 

I am probably a couple of years younger than you by the sounds of it. I was more Bowlers and Maximes in Wigan. Did you not go Sequins then? the Mix Factory (Mark XTC) mixes from there are fantastic. I much preferred the breakbeat piano stuff to the Zone type stuff.

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

Ah, sorry mate. Live, yeah, wasn't sure what you were asking. Yep, I live here most of the year, spend about 3-4 months back in the UK though, mainly over the summer. It's alright here , it's a job, but poxy for record buying.

Discogs is your friend then mate, although nothing beats the feeling of going actual vinyl shopping.

Seeing as a lot of the best music of the last 40 years originated in gay black America, I can see why there would not be much of it in Russia.

I would still love to visit Russia though at some point, it has always intrigued me.

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

I am probably a couple of years younger than you by the sounds of it. I was more Bowlers and Maximes in Wigan. Did you not go Sequins then? the Mix Factory (Mark XTC) mixes from there are fantastic. I much preferred the breakbeat piano stuff to the Zone type stuff.

Went to sequins a few times mate but I wasn't a big fan of the mix factory TBH ......... love decade hung around in there as well if I remember rightly sequins was a great venue though with good lights and sound . Hacketts was another big night but didn't last long ! 

We used to get up Scotland once a month also always did Streetrave or rezerection did probably the best outdoor rave ever held in Scotland it was called technodrome in 1991 , streetrave did a few raves in Prestwick airport which were very good ! 

Going to hacienda classical next month at the hydro to relive a bit of my youth next month should be a good night .

On 17/03/2017 at 0:32 AM, eastynh said:

Discogs is your friend then mate, although nothing beats the feeling of going actual vinyl shopping.

Seeing as a lot of the best music of the last 40 years originated in gay black America, I can see why there would not be much of it in Russia.

I would still love to visit Russia though at some point, it has always intrigued me.

I can't rely on the post here, so Discogs is out. There's a couple of record shops here, although they're massively overpriced. One, however, is one of the best record shops i've ever been in, anywhere

http://sound-barrier.ru/En/Main.aspx

other than that, it's a case of buying when i'm back in the UK

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Did a foreign postman murder your parents or something? You've really got it in for them!

hehehe, was all fine everywhere else, and even when I worked for the BC (with the diplomatic bag), but now, no birthday cards, no LRB/Private Eye subscriptions, no chance to order stuff. It's a bit odd, cos you never think about it till it's not there.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

"But son, we posted it in plenty of time. We thought you'd love that present too. Cost us an arm and leg that did. We haven't eaten for weeks to pay for that. We do still love you, honest" 

hehehehe. Fair point that.

Thought this RSD was a bust but theres some stuff there to keep me interested.

Blaze Foley – Sittin’ By The Road [LP] (180 Gram Gold Colored Vinyl, detailed liner notes by film maker Kevin Triplett, limited, indie-retail exclusive)

Blowfly – Forever Fly [LP] (Playable Etched Side and Dual parallel grooves, indie-exclusive, limited to 1000)

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band – Hammersmith Odeon London ’75 [4LP] (150 Gram, first time on vinyl, numbered/limited to 3000, indie-retail exclusive)

Distillers, The – Coral Fang [LP] (Red Vinyl, insert, limited to 2500, indie-retail exclusive)

Iggy Pop – Post Pop Depression: Live At The Royal Albert Hall [3LP] (180 Gram, deluxe gatefold, 16 page eBook, download, individually numbered / limited to 1200, indie-retail exclusive)

Meters, The – A Message from The Meters: The Complete Josie, Reprise & Warner Bros. Singles 1968-1977 [3LP] (Red, Yellow & Green Vinyl, limited to 510, indie-retail exclusive)

Nels Cline (Wilco) – In The Wee Small Hours [7 ”] (Frank Sinatra cover, limited to 1000, indie-retail exclusive)

PeterTosh – Legalize It [LP] (POT-SCENTED! Jamaican Red/Yellow/Green-Striped Colored Remastered Vinyl, limited/numbered to 2500, indie-exclusive)

Santana – Woodstock Saturday August 16, 1969 [LP] (150 Gram, limited to 3000, indie-retail exclusive)

Son House – Live At Oberlin College, April 15, 1965 [LP] (limited to 1000, indie-retail exclusive)

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble – Live At Carnegie Hall [2LP] (150 Gram Marbled Brown Vinyl, download, limited to 3000, indie-retail exclusive)

My first RSD as a turntable owner, but the only (participating) record store in my town is bloody tiny, so will most likely have a savage queue. Will see how I feel on the day, after a look at what they'll have in stock. It does rather defeat the point when those at the front of the queue just lob it all on eBay anyway.

Think I'm going to have pre-order the triple LP Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds best of which is out soon, as I, shamefully, have a gap where his previous work should be.

25 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

How many you missing and how much is the best of? Having seen the track listing you may be better off buying the albums over time. They were all reissued last year.  

Well the best of is about £23 or so, and it's a triple. I only actually have the last two on download. The best (although it's also the priciest) package is the 3CD + DVD boxset.

Limited edition box set containing 3 CDs (45 tracks), two-hour DVD featuring live performances, rare footage and interviews. With a 256 page hardcover book containing original essays, candid and personal photos taken by the band, family and friends, and reproductions of band memorabilia.

I'm not usually into boxsets, but that does sound pretty decent. Wonder why there isn't a vinyl alternative.