Hip-Hop

Sketchead

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to see Young Fathers last night, second time I've seen them this year. Boooooom.... what a show. They're utterly captivating live, mesmerising. They're almost uncomfortably intense onstage. I went with a couple of people who weren't too fussed on record but they were blown away by them.

I hope they do a smaller show somewhere as well.

Hip hop is slowly shaping up a bit this year. I hope nobody clashes (still can't get over two of the very few acts in 2014 going against each other). Mouse Outfit, Doomtree, Akala and Kanye are all great acts. Still really hoping for Ghostface Killah and Earl Sweatshirt, maybe some Action Bronson as well, if I'm being greedy.

I'm not at all familiar with Young Fathers - I must look them up. Any tips?

He could, but why would you want him to? He's playing in an intimate venue, and on the Thursday so clashes are far less likely. I say go for it!

He's a very intelligent, eloquent guy. I want a show that's just him and Killer Mike discussing the world's problems.

I saw this the other night, was really impressed by him in an otherwise mediocre show. It prompted me to check out his music. Was hoping he might be on the bill somewhere. Good news!

And yeah, him and killer mike at the free university of glastonbury or something would be awesome. Great idea.

Hip hop is slowly shaping up a bit this year. I hope nobody clashes (still can't get over two of the very few acts in 2014 going against each other). Mouse Outfit, Doomtree, Akala and Kanye are all great acts. Still really hoping for Ghostface Killah and Earl Sweatshirt, maybe some Action Bronson as well, if I'm being greedy.

I'm not at all familiar with Young Fathers - I must look them up. Any tips?

They're not hip hop in the conventional sense, it's pretty difficult to label them to be honest. They've got a Tricky / Massive Attack vibe to them, really menacing. Their records are good but live they're unreal.

http://youtu.be/09-qzavrx8s

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered Akua Naru thanks to Brave Sir Robin's playlist, and I'm loving what I've heard so far. Playing a couple of times over the weekend.

Her Glade set overlaps with Run the Jewels.

Why do you do these things to us, oh mighty and terrible lineup gods?

Edit: What am I on, the Glade is about ten minutes from West Holts, I can still catch most of her set. Glory be!

Edited by Winslow Leach

Just discovered Akua Naru thanks to Brave Sir Robin's playlist, and I'm loving what I've heard so far. Playing a couple of times over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq54rLOBeiQ

Yeah me too! She clashes with Motörhead, which is a bitch for me. But think it would be awesome on the glade.

Probably end up seeing Kanye, might see RTJ if there's nothing else on. Not really impressed with the Hip-Hop presence this year but nevermind!

Aye there isn't much hip hop I'm interested in this year, but those two that you mentioned are two of my absolute favourites so I'm pretty happy!

Im definitely going to the thursday gig anyway, always liked the look of the rum shack. Just thought a chance he could pop up somewhere else, had a couple chances to see him but both fell through. Was just listening to his fire in the booths again to get hyped! Have you seen him on question time destroying Tommy Robinson, ex-BNP i think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh03JO6EFjo

I'd never heard of this guy til watching that video...

Class. Really liked that

There are a few acts (Kanye, RTJ, Doomtree, Akala, Mouse Outfit) but overall it's a pretty poor hip hop line up in my opinion.

When you think that the following acts are in the UK in the same month: Earl Sweatshirt, Nas, The Roots, Action Bronson, Kendrick Lamar, Wu Tang... it makes it sting that Glastonbury haven't done better for hip hop.

• 1 month later...