Films

Rufus Gwertigan

I really enjoyed the book of the Hobbit, but I just could not get into LOTR at all. 2000 pages of descriptions of doom and gloom. I enjoyed the films though.

I really don't see the need to stretch the Hobbit out over 3 films though.

Absolutely agree with that.

My biggest issue with LOTR though, is that everyone thinks all fantasy is LOTR-esque or knights vs dragons. There's so many interesting and imaginative ways magic, alternate sentient races and tales of heroism and tragedy can be told, yet you mention fantasy to a typical person and they think of LOTR or dragons. They've both got their place, but there's so much more to it. I love fantasy novels - most films are cheesy crap based off typical stereotypes - the amount of creativity involved in subtly detailing out a world as a backdrop to telling an epic tale is astonishing. LOTR doesn't pull it off, because it alternates between description and plot, no intelligent integration and flow, just several pages of descriptive tosh, then a few pages of stuff happening.

Edited by kaosmark2

I'm not a fan of Ben Affleck films but saw Argo last night and thought it was really good, and very well made.

As for LOTR, its the best motion picture trilogy for me. Pisses all over Star Wars (which should have been left as a trilogy) from a great height.

Just people walking around? Genuine LOL.

I'm not a fan of Ben Affleck films but saw Argo last night and thought it was really good, and very well made.

As for LOTR, its the best motion picture trilogy for me. Pisses all over Star Wars (which should have been left as a trilogy) from a great height.

Just people walking around? Genuine LOL.

Not just people, the trees walked around too.

I didn't realise they were making The Hobbit into a trilogy aswell.I thought it was just one film.

It was gonna be a 2 parter but they decided to string it out even more. I was looking forward to it when they had Guillermo Del Toro in line to direct but since he's left all intrest has now gone for me.

I watched Amazing Spider-Man and I found it just as patchy as when I saw it the cinema samey scenes & villain, heavy handed script, lots of loose/forgotten plot points but I still really enjoyed the Gwen & Peter bits and Spider-Man talking thrash over the Raimi ones.

It was gonna be a 2 parter but they decided to string it out even more. I was looking forward to it when they had Guillermo Del Toro in line to direct but since he's left all intrest has now gone for me.

"All interest has now gone for me"

Were you that unhappy with the LOTR Trilogy that Jackson and his team's involvement puts you off?

Find that strange. The fact that there is now a singular vision overseeing the whole thing is an advantage. Casting looks spot on. Shore is back as are Alan Lee and John Howe.

Fail to see the problem tbh.

"All interest has now gone for me"

Were you that unhappy with the LOTR Trilogy that Jackson and his team's involvement puts you off?

Find that strange. The fact that there is now a singular vision overseeing the whole thing is an advantage. Casting looks spot on. Shore is back as are Alan Lee and John Howe.

Fail to see the problem tbh.

I don't care about Lord Of The Rings films but I do care about Del Toro films, simple.

9 minutes of Star Trek Into Darkness with The Hobbit at Imax to now :D Well worth seeing just for that! :P

Watched Avengers last night finally, It was ok, a good super hero/action movie...but after everyone raving about it, I felt it didn't have quite as great story/character development as the individual films. (Especially Iron Man.).

I'd say the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 1, is something like this for me on which films were the best:

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Captain America

The Avengers

Thor

The Incredible Hulk

^ I found Iron Man 2 & Captain America dodgy as hell, Cap has too many montages, has a horrible end fight scene and crap CGI (apart from the skinny boy effect) and IM 2 tried to do too much which ended up making it weak overall imo.

Personally I'd go...

Iron Man

Avengers

Thor

Hulk

Captain America

Iron Man 2