Films

Rufus Gwertigan

^I liked Thor as it's the only one that made proper use of a baddie, Loki wasn't straight forward with his motives and plans I particularly liked how he pulled people's strings and I thought Tom Hiddleston played it perfectly. Where as Red Skull in Cap was a complete waste, Iron Monger was a bit underwhelming in Iron Man, Whiplash was under used and in Iron Man 2, Abomination in Hulk was just an excuse to have a big fight and in Avengers the baddie didn't matter although he did have a few really good scenes.

Apart from Iron Man 3 which looks likely to deliver a decent baddie with The Mandarin the other films will be more of the same of bland baddies as Crossbones and Malekith aren't the most memorable villains in the 1st place and Ant-Man & Guardians Of The Galaxy don't really have a strong rogues gallery.

^I liked Thor as it's the only one that made proper use of a baddie, Loki wasn't straight forward with his motives and plans I particularly liked how he pulled people's strings and I thought Tom Hiddleston played it perfectly. Where as Red Skull in Cap was a complete waste, Iron Monger was a bit underwhelming in Iron Man, Whiplash was under used and in Iron Man 2, Abomination in Hulk was just an excuse to have a big fight and in Avengers the baddie didn't matter although he did have a few really good scenes.

Apart from Iron Man 3 which looks likely to deliver a decent baddie with The Mandarin the other films will be more of the same of bland baddies as Crossbones and Malekith aren't the most memorable villains in the 1st place and Ant-Man & Guardians Of The Galaxy don't really have a strong rogues gallery.

I wouldn't say it made proper use of a baddie. All of them have awful antagonists, Thor is just less awful in that respects, but it more than makes up for it with everything else.

Doesn't help that I don't like the Marvel distortion of Norse myths, but I felt every aspect of it was cheesy and a waste of time.

The best films for superhero antagonists from Marvel's lot are X2 and X-Men First Class. Also the best 2 generally.

I'd agree with Jump, Loki is about the best baddie to come out of the MCU so far...especially as the others seemed to just turn up for a fight sequence and be done with it. (Though I suppose with the exception of Iron Man 2, they are all supposed to be origin stories, hence the lack of other character development I guess.)

I'd agree with Jump, Loki is about the best baddie to come out of the MCU so far...especially as the others seemed to just turn up for a fight sequence and be done with it. (Though I suppose with the exception of Iron Man 2, they are all supposed to be origin stories, hence the lack of other character development I guess.)

I think in general it's tough to get the bad guy right, in comics and more so in films based on them. Basically, the hero has to win. The villain has to be flawed and doomed to failure. I'd like to see them push the Hulk's potential to be the villain or at least the misguided problem, but I'd doubt that'll happen (and as it goes I'd say the portrayal of the Hulk and Banner in Avengers is the best version of the character I've seen, nailed it). But Loki was, in my opinion, above all else just damn cool, and yes, a good bad guy. But for my money, the scene stealer and best of the bad bunch in the Marvel films has to be Thanos. A few seconds screen time, one grin, job done.

Btw, anybody got any opinions on Ghost Rider 2? Saw it yesterday, a bit late admittedly. Thought it was much better than the first, the Rider's characterisation was much better. Although Nicolas Cage is still too old to be Johnny Blaze.

Edited by radish

I think in general it's tough to get the bad guy right, in comics and more so in films based on them. Basically, the hero has to win. The villain has to be flawed and doomed to failure. I'd like to see them push the Hulk's potential to be the villain or at least the misguided problem, but I'd doubt that'll happen (and as it goes I'd say the portrayal of the Hulk and Banner in Avengers is the best version of the character I've seen, nailed it). But Loki was, in my opinion, above all else just damn cool, and yes, a good bad guy. But for my money, the scene stealer and best of the bad bunch in the Marvel films has to be Thanos. A few seconds screen time, one grin, job done.

Btw, anybody got any opinions on Ghost Rider 2? Saw it yesterday, a bit late admittedly. Thought it was much better than the first, the Rider's characterisation was much better. Although Nicolas Cage is still too old to be Johnny Blaze.

I'm not sure I agree with that as my take on a good villain should be to compliment the hero's strengths & weaknesses and have big plans. A lot of the Avenger films baddies I found dissatisfying as they were just around for the hero to smack at the end and their main goals seems to simply be to beat the good guy with no after thought about what to do afterwards. The tragic doomed to fail baddie has been done to death with the Spider-Man films (4 films & 5/6 of that type baddies) and I'm hoping they will try something else next.

My baby brother wanted to see Ghost Rider and I just told him no as the 1st one so bad and the reviews all said it was shit.

I'm not sure I agree with that as my take on a good villain should be to compliment the hero's strengths & weaknesses and have big plans. A lot of the Avenger films baddies I found dissatisfying as they were just around for the hero to smack at the end and their main goals seems to simply be to beat the good guy with no after thought about what to do afterwards. The tragic doomed to fail baddie has been done to death with the Spider-Man films (4 films & 5/6 of that type baddies) and I'm hoping they will try something else next.

My baby brother wanted to see Ghost Rider and I just told him no as the 1st one so bad and the reviews all said it was shit.

I just find it hard to think of many villains that have become as strong a character as the hero they face, the Joker being the only one that really comes to mind. There are some good bad guys I agree, but none except the Joker that I could ever imagine getting their own film.

Give Phoenix an oscar now!!

Unbelievable performance. Didn't realise that was his first movie since "I'm Still Here". Hes really turning into a top notch actor. Can't see the Oscar going anywhere else to be honest.

I thought I'm Still Here was superb by the way for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Enjoyed the film but think it will benefit from further viewings. Most PTA films have that impression on me.

Not sure about this one though. Think its a pretty straight forward story. Not for everyone though. Couple of walk outs in the cinema last night!

I just find it hard to think of many villains that have become as strong a character as the hero they face, the Joker being the only one that really comes to mind. There are some good bad guys I agree, but none except the Joker that I could ever imagine getting their own film.

Magneto & Venom came very close to having their own flick (both scrapped due to reboots of the hero flicks but Venom is still in the works) and Catwoman who had always been part goodie and part baddie has her own film admittingly not a very good one tho.

I think the main problem with a baddie film is that you would be seeing a film about a bad guy, there's not many blockbusters that are focussed on villians in the 1st place and then you would have the problem who would the antagonist be, supporting cast and what the plot device would be. If it was a Joker film could you see a crowd in the cinema cheering him on to kill people and whatnot?

Edited by jump

If it was a Joker film could you see a crowd in the cinema cheering him on to kill people and whatnot?

I would!!! :P

I'd guess something like that could work if it was set a bit like V for Vendetta (I get the government was evil in that but for arguments sake, they were the establishment and good guys.)as a sort of freedom fighter killing off politicians...

Edited by LondonTom

I was meaning it will benefit from futher viewings for me personally.

Sure yeah. Even if its just to study the performances! I'm sure I missed something.

I think he will win the oscar but we haven't seen DDL in Lincoln yet.

True. He certainly looks the part from the trailer. His voice is a surprise too.

I would!!! tongue.png

I'd guess something like that could work if it was set a bit like V for Vendetta (I get the government was evil in that but for arguments sake, they were the establishment and good guys.)as a sort of freedom fighter killing off politicians...

I'm pretty sure if you changed the Joker from a insane mad man that enjoys killing people into a freedom fighter it would no longer be considered a bad guy film.