Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Watched Four Lions for the first time last night (finger on the pulse, me). Really enjoyed it, some great moments smile.png

The bit where they're singing along to Dancing in the Moonlight is one of the funniest things I've seen in a comedy in recent memory. I'm not one for laughing out loud for prolonged periods but I was literally in tears watching that bit.

I think 'Misery' might be one of my favourite films. Scarier than The Shining anyway, because it's somewhat believable. For me the scariest films are films like Misery, Last King of Scotland, Slumdog Millionaire, Requiem For A Dream, 127 Hours because they're all too real in many ways. They all left me feeling a bit sickened and disturbed and bore right into my head.

Misery is a nice little allegory for any creative person too.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I think 'Misery' might be one of my favourite films. Scarier than The Shining anyway, because it's somewhat believable. For me the scariest films are films like Misery, Last King of Scotland, Slumdog Millionaire, Requiem For A Dream, 127 Hours because they're all too real in many ways. They all left me feeling a bit sickened and disturbed and bore right into my head.

Misery is a nice little allegory for any creative person too.

127 Hours was real ;-) I do agree with you though. The films that I find disturbing are those that have a base in reality. Apart from the shite ending I found Eden Lake disturbing. There are a few home invasion movies like Funny Games

which leave me cold, especially with the depiction of the casual way violence is perpetrated.

Am I the only one who couldn't give a toss about the Hobbit?

I would imagine there are lots of people that don't enjoy Tolkien and therefore don't give a toss.

As someone who had read LOTR at least 4 times including the appendices I'm one of the sad fuckers that is looking forward to it.

That said, the hobbit is basically a kids story, so I'm not expecting to enjoy it anywhere near as much as LOTR. Last time, with the exception of Sean Bean, I thought the casting was near enough spot on. Not so sure this time. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised

Can't wait for the 9 film epic: The Silmarillion

Jackson has apparently put every line of the book to celluloid - in an attempt to stop LOTR fanboys accosting him whenever he goes out because their favourite obscure line by Bloggit son of Twitter has been cut from the film, or that their favourite JRR Tolkien sentence they had tattooed in 6 inch letters across their back didn't appear in the finished movie.

Never read the books so I don't get it. I don't like any of that wizards and goblins stuff anyway. Not my buzz. All hammy drama and camp acting to me. Like a bad school play with amazing special effects.

What's strange is that the above is me. I've never read any books containing wizards, orcs, goblins etc, that I didn't think was shit. Except Tolkien. I just think the guy was a genius. Probably a mad genius, but aren't they all?

What's strange is that the above is me. I've never read any books containing wizards, orcs, goblins etc, that I didn't think was shit. Except Tolkien. I just think the guy was a genius. Probably a mad genius, but aren't they all?

True. Its very in depth in fairness from Tolkien. I don't read fiction really anyway so fantasy is way too far for me. I like Star Wars and Zelda Ocarina of Time on the N64. Think thats about it.

I agree with Nal, I just can't get into fantasy films (although Del Toro flms are the rare expection) but with Lord Of The Rings it was always they are just walking around, the whole premise is they are walking for 3 films.

Yeah exactly. I was bored shitless apart from the big battle in the 2nd movie. Thought that was great. But thats 20 odd minutes out of 9 hours!

There are a few home invasion movies like Funny Games which leave me cold, especially with the depiction of the casual way violence is perpetrated.

Did you watch the proper / original one?

Am I the only one who couldn't give a toss about the Hobbit?

Dwarf throwing is a very competitive sport.

even better that it's kind of real I think I prefer it being under Damon's control rather than Clooney's as originally planned. It's not perfect but very enjoyable.

Don't you mean Affleck not Damon?

I've read 'The Hobbit' but not 'LOTR' and am really looking forward to the film but I also have personal reasons for that as someone very important in my life was a massive fan but died shortly after the first film came out.Watching the films always makes me think of him and what he would of thought of them.In a way its like a remembrance for him.