Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

1 hour ago, t8yman said:

we watched episode 1 after dinner last night. Totally agree. Idris Elba is awesome, and the bad guy is a nasty piece of work.

Very, very cliched, but exactly what I wanted. Will be finishing it tonight.

I wouldn't be anywhere near this show if it wasn't for Idris Elba

Edited by philipsteak

17 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

not really sure what i expected from the end of Peep Show, but i definitely expected more than that. it just kind of... ended, as if it was the end of any old episode. maybe that's the only way it could've ended - a 'grand finale' doesn't seem like it's kind of style - but i thought there'd be some kind of sweet sentiment or... something. feel like they weren't really sure what to do with the characters anymore

I thought that last scene in the living room was pretty much perfect. I thought it was impressive how well that scene captured the feel of the very first series, given how far the show has otherwise strayed from it. Even the camerawork seemed a bit more 'Series 1', and the last shot was a great meta in-joke. 

To be honest, it didn't really hit me that it was the end until Hans declared 'Laters' and left the room. Where's the Macedonian moped rental spin-off?

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

I thought that last scene in the living room was pretty much perfect. I thought it was impressive how well that scene captured the feel of the very first series, given how far the show has otherwise strayed from it. Even the camerawork seemed a bit more 'Series 1', and the last shot was a great meta in-joke. 

To be honest, it didn't really hit me that it was the end until Hans declared 'Laters' and left the room. Where's the Macedonian moped rental spin-off?

thought there was going to be a future one off xmas special - or did i imagine that

On 12/17/2015 at 4:05 PM, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah I thought they nailed it actually, sort of more real life that everything doesn't end up all fine and dandy, but they still had each other.

I loved the book as a kid and had no idea they were making a TV show of it:

Fungus The Bogeyman.

Really great cast and who else would you want for Fungus really?

Also loved the Christmas Doctor Who. I'm not a big fan. It got way too complicated a while back for me. But it way way way outdid Star Wars in originality terms this Crimbo.

Has anyone watched both series of The Leftovers? I started on the first and while it was very good in many ways, it was really really hard work. More than I was willing to put in. I've read the 2nd is much better in that regard, still very good, but actually watchable so I want to give it a try. I know there's a big shift with a load of new characters and mostly moves to a new setting but can you watch it without having seen the first? 

9 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Has anyone watched both series of The Leftovers? I started on the first and while it was very good in many ways, it was really really hard work. More than I was willing to put in. I've read the 2nd is much better in that regard, still very good, but actually watchable so I want to give it a try. I know there's a big shift with a load of new characters and mostly moves to a new setting but can you watch it without having seen the first? 

see, i never got the mixed critical reception the first series got - i thought it was fantastic throughout. the Christopher Eccleston centred episode especially was just phenomenal stuff

as for watching the second series without the first, i wouldn't. i guess you could piece together what's going on eventually, but you'll spend a good portion of the first few episodes wondering what the fuck is happening, especially with the shift to a totally new location etc

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

see, i never got the mixed critical reception the first series got - i thought it was fantastic throughout. the Christopher Eccleston centred episode especially was just phenomenal stuff

as for watching the second series without the first, i wouldn't. i guess you could piece together what's going on eventually, but you'll spend a good portion of the first few episodes wondering what the fuck is happening, especially with the shift to a totally new location etc

Thanks for that. I thought the move might be a bit of a reset but seems not.

I thought what I saw of the first series was good, in that it was very well made, good actors etc, it was just so unremittingly bleak, so grim. I know it was never gonna be a laugh a minute but it just never let up. 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

I thought what I saw of the first series was good, in that it was very well made, good actors etc, it was just so unremittingly bleak, so grim. I know it was never gonna be a laugh a minute but it just never let up. 

the second series has very much the same tone imo - it's definitely not a feel good series. a few comical moments scattered here and there, but mostly just serious business

only one more series being made (and not being aired until 2017 some time) so you've got plenty of time to make your way through the current 20 episodes released, but if your problem is the general bleakness then it probably isn't for you (although, like most series of this tone, there are certain episodes that crank up the action a notch and get you hooked)

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:
Making a Murderer anyone?

Edit, spoiler tags only hid half of it despite me bookending the entire text with spoiler tags. and I cant edit. Forget it.

is this one that was on Newsnight last night? That were being lambasted by Evan for a one sided viewpoint as bad as the prosecution?