Drug Testing

Mezhyp1

This is something I have been wondering about for a while,  with Secret Garden Party and Kendal Calling both having front of house drug testing at their festivals last year and now Boomtown seeming to have captured the initiative and are looking to introduce it there,  as well as drug related experts in the campsites. 

I wonder if this is something we might see introduced at Glastonbury this year? The Loop charity are becoming more prolific at festivals and events across the country and rightly so, they do some tremendous work to help keep people safe with harm reduction and helping to raise awareness of the dangerous rather than complete ignorance which is currently having a negative effect. 

Food for thought....  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful though he is, I just wonder if this might be a line over which Michael might not 'let' the festival go? He is staunchly, and rather admirably, Methodist in his approach, and whilst never damning, might find it hard to support such an initiative on his own patch.

I wonder too if there are any implications for future years' licences, were the festival seen to be facilitating/encouraging drug use - they wouldn't be, of course, but you'll understand my point in terms of others' perceptions.

Saying that, I presume that SGP etc. need an annual licence renewal from their respective councils etc., so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Dunno.

Certainly it's the way forward...

Ben

I wonder what the stats are about drug-related injuries/illness/use of medical facilities/ambulances/etc for Glasto vs other festivals.

I can remember a few years back there being deaths at Boomtown and they were passing flyers out to everyone about a bad batch of Ket.  

The point is, given your comments about licensing, maybe its the very fact that its not that big of a problem for Glasto that they wouldn't want this charity in.  It would create a PR fuss when maybe its not needed??? Anything Glasto does is scrutinised and talked about in a way it is not for other festivals.

I'd quite like them to be there, but then I normally test anything that I would hypothetically buy at home first...Not everyone does that though.   

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Wonderful though he is, I just wonder if this might be a line over which Michael might not 'let' the festival go? He is staunchly, and rather admirably, Methodist in his approach, and whilst never damning, might find it hard to support such an initiative on his own patch.

I wonder too if there are any implications for future years' licences, were the festival seen to be facilitating/encouraging drug use - they wouldn't be, of course, but you'll understand my point in terms of others' perceptions.

Saying that, I presume that SGP etc. need an annual licence renewal from their respective councils etc., so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Dunno.

Certainly it's the way forward...

Ben

As recently as 2011 there were legal high stalls all over the site. Where you could buy all kinds of powders like mephedrone.

If that wasn't encouraging drug use then I don't know what is. 

I personally can see 'harm reduction' (testing) tents popping up in the coming years 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

There are going to be people put off by the risks around drugs that, when faced with a way to do them more safely, will do them. It does encourage it to a degree. Not that I think that's a bad thing. But I can see it being an issue.

I think Glastonbury is trying a fair bit (and succeeding) in not being known as a haven for illegal substances. Sure, it still is, but it doesn't define the festival in the way it did just 10/15 years ago. I do think they'll remain keen to avoid that association.

I'd be concerned that an addition like that might heighten security on entrance, which if we're honest, really isn't very strict just now and I don't think its something the festival needs 

I would be interested to see figures around deaths/harm caused by drugs at the festival, it's not something I've ever seen talked about 

There used to be an Avon and Somerset police officer who posted here as CC Cheese.  I don't know if she still posts or would be able to offer any views.

I seem to remember a couple of years ago GFL were frowning on the legal high stalls and I think they've probably gone, though I've never bothered to look.

18 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

There used to be an Avon and Somerset police officer who posted here as CC Cheese.  I don't know if she still posts or would be able to offer any views.

I seem to remember a couple of years ago GFL were frowning on the legal high stalls and I think they've probably gone, though I've never bothered to look.

Yeah there is now a blanket ban on all research chemicals so the legal high stalls would be illegal but they dissapeared in 2011, there were none in 2013 or since 

1 hour ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

As recently as 2011 there were legal high stalls all over the site. Where you could buy all kinds of powders like mephedrone.

I personally can see 'harm reduction' (testing) tents popping up in the coming years 

I recall a stall one year openly selling magic mushrooms. They were still legal to sell then.

37 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I recall the officer you mention, but thought 'she' was a 'he'. I also thought their user name was CCC Cheese. I could be wrong on the later too though. Shame she isn't about any longer as I used to have nice discussions with her via the PM system.

39 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'd be concerned that an addition like that might heighten security on entrance, which if we're honest, really isn't very strict just now and I don't think its something the festival needs 

I would be interested to see figures around deaths/harm caused by drugs at the festival, it's not something I've ever seen talked about 

Any heightened security measures would be difficult to implement, making the already slow-moving queues even worse. Can't see the festival doing this unless they were forced to.

Some of my friends work in Festival Medical Services, every year there are a (relatively) small handful of serious drug-related cases, from what I understand risk-to-life ones. Hearing of these puts me well off trying anything...

34 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Any heightened security measures would be difficult to implement, making the already slow-moving queues even worse. Can't see the festival doing this unless they were forced to.

Some of my friends work in Festival Medical Services, every year there are a (relatively) small handful of serious drug-related cases, from what I understand risk-to-life ones. Hearing of these puts me well off trying anything...

If you tent you only have to go in once.  If you are in the CV Fields you have to queue to go in every day.  Separate to the queues to show your ticket and check your passout they have a couple of tables doing random bag searches.

I assume they could implement random searches at the general entrance too but, given all the gear people have loaded on trollies, it would take forever and they wouldn't put people in the best of moods if they then have to re-pack and re-load their trollies.

I did see some seemingly undercover security on the look out at Arcadia last year,  I'm sure they were only looking for people dealing/general security issues. 

I suppose they could introduce more wide spread use of sniffer dogs at the gates, and try and implement the fear factor on people,  but I don't imagine that's something GFL would want to do

Just now, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Emailed both parties concerned. 

Wait out...

Good work Soma, I look forward to any response 

31 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Upvoted for taking the trouble to transcribe Soma's username perfectly, Yog!

:D

Ben

Hello Ben

All I did was copy and paste Soma's user name in full in to a little box thingy at the top right of my computer (yes, such is my IT knowledge) and then copy and paste that back in to my post. All done in a flash, so I don't really deserve an upvote, but thank you all the same. :)

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I suppose they could introduce more wide spread use of sniffer dogs at the gates, and try and implement the fear factor on people,  but I don't imagine that's something GFL would want to do

I've only one had a 'moment' with a sniffer dog at the IoW Festival.  It was the first time I'd been and didn't realise what to expect at an 'arena' festival.

We were tenting and, before I strolled down to the arena, I made and enjoyed a little spliff. On the way down I needed a pee and stopped at a urinal and, afterwards cleaned my hands with a strong sanitiser.

On arrival at the turnstiles I saw they had sniffer dogs.  I sorted my ticket and as I passed through I looked down at this gorgeous dog.  I think the spliff must have kicked in, or I'd just lost control of my senses (or both).  I reached down, stroked it on the head and said: "You're beautiful" and walked on towards the arena.

I'd only gone about five feet when the dog handler called me and said: "Excuse me sir."  

I froze and the realisation of what I'd done hit me.

"Yes sir," said the dog handler. "She is beautiful isn't she.  Enjoy the festival."

Moral of the story.  You can never underestimate the value of always washing and sanitising your hands.

5 hours ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

I can't remember seeing any openly selling legal highs last year. Also I believe Mr E had a crack down on those bloody balloons..... Not that it did much difference imo...... As for dogs at the gates I hope not... 

We were stopped coming through a few years ago 5/6...and they found some of my own meds so looked abit more thoroughly and found a load of legal highs..... The ones in tubes...... Anyway the security tried to take them off us saying it was illegal to take them into the festival even when I told them that they were selling them just the other side of the fence. 

Apperently it was against the law to walk from the security bloke across the road into the festival lol... So the wife grabbed them back and took them back to the car as we weren't breaking the law at that point. We waited a few hours and got them in the next run.... Lol.. 

It's those balloons that get me not so much the people doing them but the mess they leave I've got a 4 foot arty farty sculpture hanging off my washing line from nos cannisters we picked up a couple of years ago.. Lol

The security at Boomtown would turn many Glasto goers hair white I reckon. While it clearly hauls a lot of drugs off those coming in I'm pretty sure they all just buy it all back within hours inside the festival at random strengths and purities for extra 'fun' :(

Hopefully some testing and criminalisation-free easy access advice will help there. I have a bad feeling Boomtown see the worst end of the side-effects of current drug policy where enough of the message is total nonsense that the important bits get ignored too.