Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

3 hours ago, Cheesey said:

Agreed. I vaguely remember sitting at the top of the Pyramid field in the pissing rain on Friday afternoon in 2007, looking over the stage towards the Tor and seeing heavier rain rolling in. 

Sitting? In a chair or on the floor? I don't think I sat on the floor (lake of mud) all weekend. That was the killer for me, no where to sit, rest the legs and take it all in. 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Sitting? In a chair or on the floor? I don't think I sat on the floor (lake of mud) all weekend. That was the killer for me, no where to sit, rest the legs and take it all in. 

I was on one of the benches at the top of the field. I think Amy Winehouse was on.

This year was my first time after years of failure so I've nothing to compare it to so the mud thing wasn't an issue for me although a few of our gang said it was the worst they've ever seen it.

Luckily we've got tickets for 2017 so any improvement on the weather will be a bonus I suppose.

I wrote a few words about our first time in the week that followed our trip there this year....

Glastonbury 2016

2 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

Another reason to ignore the Metro. 

I dont recall call it being miserable at any point. 

I do. I was hunched up on a longdrop in the rain having the saddest shit of my life.

That aside, the Metro can do one.  It was fabulous.

Didn't know where else to put this, and didn't think it really deserved it's own thread...

One of my highlights last year was stumbling into the Pussy Parlour on my way to the Other Stage because I was distracted by an amazing voice, turned out it was Valuts, who I had never heard of before and I thought they were great. Just read that they are doing the John Lewis Christmas advert this year which has pleased me.

That's it.

It was a strange year for me. Definitely much nearer the bottom of my best Glastonburys than near the top. I can only think 2007 & 2002 being less enjoyable. (Of course, a bad G is still 1000 times better than 'real life'.)

The music wasn't that great overall, IMHO. The weather was bad. Brexit made me quite angry over the weekend, and there weren't tooo many good old rants by bands, which surprised me. The highight was spending time with our usual group, having missed a couple of years. But that was off set by some newcomers who weren't quite on the same wave length as those who we've been going with for years.

So all in all, an odd one. Not solely down to the weather. 

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I go to the festival so I can shit in the rain.

There's nothing like sitting on a long drop taking a dump whilst watching the heavens open above you. Especially when you have a pint of grimbergen on the floor just waiting to be enjoyed after you've taken a shit.

I wouldn't say the mud ruined it per se, but it was definitely a difficult weekend getting around in that. We were all tired from trekking all day and come midnight we were too shattered to even attempt to try and get in to SE corner which isn't like our group at all.. not that many had success any way from what I was hearing.

I don't really like the new JP location either, much preferred it at the bottom of the hill. Was a bit of a tight churn at the back of the pyramid later on in the days because of it but can understand why the layout changed, and it's a good job really with the pre-fest washout down there this year.

None of us are put off though, and we all got tickets again, but I really hope there's a dry run up next time as we all missed so much due to not having much time to get between stages thanks to clashes/ conditions underfoot and congestion due to this.

For example I didn't go to the Park once this year which I'm gutted about, usually spend time there every day.

Obviously everyone deals with the  mud differently, but I really think people are overstating how difficult it was to get from stage to stage. It really wasn't that hard. Yes it took a while longer, but if you really wanted to get from JP to the Park the only thing stopping you was you. 

You'd think we were wading waist deep through quicksand the way some people are going on.

Edited by The Orgazoid

18 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

Obviously everyone deals with the  mud differently, but I really think people are overstating how difficult it was to get from stage to stage. It really wasn't that hard. Yes it took a while longer, but if you really wanted to get from JP to the Park the only thing stopping you was you. 

You'd think we were wading waist deep through quicksand the way some people are going on.

Agreed, and I was one of the whiny ones afterwards. Purely through lack of muddy Glastonbury experience and preparation; in hindsight it wasn't that bad.

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep, like a load of old women moaning about the mud and rain. Its muddy and rainy every year. Grow a pair for fucks sake.

I had a pair, but they got stuck in the mud...