Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

1 minute ago, cloudb said:

Lucky is probably more likely as an opener as a nod to 20 years ago. 

Here are the openers I've seen in traditional list format. 

There There 

The National Anthem 

Lucky 

Airbag

Lotus Flower

I'm sure I saw them open with Planet Telex in Manchester a few years ago, was a great way to start. They changed a lot of the arrangement for it too, strobes going off throughout, was fantastic. 

I was just listening to the local student radio station. The guy was on a good run- he played Leonard Cohen- You Want It Darker, Tom Waits- Building in there, and then said 'Coming up are two of my favourite Radiohead tracks- Let Down and High and Dry'. I let him off playing High and Dry- it's not as bad as people make out. However, proceeding the tracks he goes "that was two of my favourite Radiohead tracks, they're from the album The Best Of", so I ripped the radio off the wall.

Edited by Chawk
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Chawk said:

I was just listening to the local student radio station. The guy was on a good run- he played Leonard Cohen- You Want It Darker, Tom Waits- Building in there, and then said 'Coming up are two of my favourite Radiohead tracks- Let Down and High and Dry'. I let him off playing High and Dry- it's not as bad as people make out. However, proceeding the tracks he goes "that was two of my favourite Radiohead tracks, they're from the album The Best Of", so I ripped the radio off the wall.

haha, found myself surprised at the last line.

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

Understandable. He should have said "those were two of my favourite Radiohead tracks"

8 hours ago, nickharley said:

I'm sure I saw them open with Planet Telex in Manchester a few years ago, was a great way to start. They changed a lot of the arrangement for it too, strobes going off throughout, was fantastic. 

Yeh I've seen a recent video of them opening with that, possibly Benicassim? Looked amazing, I'd be absolutely buzzing with that as an opener.

9 hours ago, nickharley said:

According to 58 hours the last time they opened with Telex was in 2008 at the Hurricane Festival, and the last time before that was in Paris in 1996.... and that's it, so twice ever, quite surprised.

I'd love this song in the encore I think, but anywhere will do.

10 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've watched it so many times. Seen them twice - once when I was only 'just' into them so couldn't fully appreciate it, and then later when I adored them but I took the wreckedness too far, can remember Karma Police. That's it.

So I've spent years of drink-fuelled nights with the earphones listening to that set, praying that they'd play at Glastonbury again. Bostin!

There There is an absolute piss take of an opener, it's arguably unbeatable.

I think Airbag or Lucky would be immense. Lucky especially as it's so atmospheric, so it could then go into something more up-tempo. Like There There went into 2+2.

Shit on toast, I bet that was terrible to hear...:o

There There was a great opener on that tour but what gets forgotten is that the song had only been released a few weeks before Glastonbury in May 2003. Therefore it wasn't a "classic" when they opened with it.

Lucky opened in 1997 (amazing!)

I think they will almost certainly open with a song from AMSP unless they want to shock the crowd like at Reading 2009 with Creep.

Just now, ericlered said:

According to 58 hours the last time they opened with Telex was in 2008 at the Hurricane Festival, and the last time before that was in Paris in 1996.... and that's it, so twice ever, quite surprised.

I'd love this song in the encore I think, but anywhere will do.

Looked at the setlist and it has it down as being in the encore, In my head I saw them play it first haha.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2012/manchester-arena-manchester-england-bdd3992.html

Yeah would love to see it again. That gig was the day before ticket day. Saw Radiohead and the next day bagged myself one. Was a great weekend!

Edit: would be more than happy to see a Hunting Bears outro to National Anthem again.

Edited by nickharley

You could note that when they headlined the past two times they were promoting a brand spanking new album released a month or less before, whereas this time AMSP will be over a year old so not so much need to promote it. They'll probably still open with a new song, but if they're in a particularly crowd-pleasey mood like at Reading '09 then they could just go all-out and open with a guaranteed banger. Opening Paranoid Android would be my preferred choice if they were to go that way - the crowd wouldn't expect it and wouldn't know what had hit them. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

You could note that when they headlined the past two times they were promoting a brand spanking new album released a month or less before, whereas this time AMSP will be over a year old so not so much need to promote it. They'll probably still open with a new song, but if they're in a particularly crowd-pleasey mood like at Reading '09 then they could just go all-out and open with a guaranteed banger. Opening Paranoid Android would be my preferred choice if they were to go that way - the crowd wouldn't expect it and wouldn't know what had hit them. 

I love this idea.

Can you imagine if they opened with Street Spirit? That would be bonkers. One of the biggest crowd pleasers but also one of the slowest, most morbid tunes. I'm not for one second predicting or suggesting they should do that mind :lol:

21 hours ago, jparx said:

The intro and verse sections are just so underwhelming. I don't mind the chorus with the heavy power chords, but aside from that it's just really disappointing. I don't think necessarily think they need strings, but Jonny trying to play his guitar as a violin just doesn't work. It needs more presence.

Compare it to their '03 set when they came out to There There for example.

Gotcha. I guess I personally feel it almost works. Nothing wrong in my eyes with a really subdued into/verse in an opener, that then leads to a massive chorus. One of the coolest openers I can remember was actually You and Whose Army. Just Thom and piano for a while, then whole band kicks in. I am more of the mindset that they have a whole a show to build up to a peak, doesn't need to happy too early.

6 minutes ago, Time Being said:

Gotcha. I guess I personally feel it almost works. Nothing wrong in my eyes with a really subdued into/verse in an opener, that then leads to a massive chorus. One of the coolest openers I can remember was actually You and Whose Army. Just Thom and piano for a while, then whole band kicks in. I am more of the mindset that they have a whole a show to build up to a peak, doesn't need to happy too early.

I'm all about subdued intros/verses, but if they are going to play it that way then chorus needs to be huge. As it's played currently, the chorus is decent but it's nowhere near as big as it should be. It's just disappointing because the song is fantastic on record and it just doesn't translate. I have no problem with them opening with a really subdued, slow build of a tune, but on the record Burn the Witch isn't like that, and it's better on record than live. 

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm all about subdued intros/verses, but if they are going to play it that way then chorus needs to be huge. As it's played currently, the chorus is decent but it's nowhere near as big as it should be. It's just disappointing because the song is fantastic on record and it just doesn't translate. I have no problem with them opening with a really subdued, slow build of a tune, but on the record Burn the Witch isn't like that, and it's better on record than live. 

Totally. I am with you there. When I saw them on this last tour I actually thought they had switched things up and were opening with Identikit... 

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Understandable. He should have said "those were two of my favourite Radiohead tracks"

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Almost as bad as typing proceeding instead of preceding. Especially when I think you mean following the tracks rather than before them. 

:lol: Well, proceeding your feedback I will probably stick to lists from now on.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, donkeykong said:

The other night they played Earls Court in 2003 they opened with The Gloaming... 

At least they got it out of the way early. Sometimes the anticipation of knowing The Gloaming is coming is worse than The Gloaming itself*

* I know it's not that bad really :P 

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

At least they got it out of the way early. Sometimes the anticipation of knowing The Gloaming is coming is worse than The Gloaming itself*

* I know it's not that bad really :P 

I quite like the when the bass kicks in live.